Menu

I'm throwing myself a pity party

Truscifi

I had knee surgery on Friday. It was outpatient arthroscopic, so fairly minor. I had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia (my stomach tried to crawl up my throat and escape) followed by an equally bad response to the pain meds they gave me. Apparently anything even slightly related to morphine is not my friend. My mom has the kids so I can rest. But dh had to go back to work, and I can barely hobble around the house. A friend was supposed to bring me dinner so I wouldn't have to get up to cook but now she can't. So now I'm just sitting here feeling sorry for myself and wondering what to eat.

I wish I could run over with soup, crackers, and a hug.

During my first round of chemo, a friend volunteered to bring supper one night. My husband had been traveling (Africa) and had finally gotten home. I was deeply sick. We waited...and waited...and waited. I finally called. She had forgotten. Sigh.

Hang in there!

I had knee surgery on Friday. It was outpatient arthroscopic, so fairly minor. I had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia (my stomach tried to crawl up my throat and escape) followed by an equally bad response to the pain meds they gave me. Apparently anything even slightly related to morphine is not my friend. My mom has the kids so I can rest. But dh had to go back to work, and I can barely hobble around the house. A friend was supposed to bring me dinner so I wouldn't have to get up to cook but now she can't. So now I'm just sitting here feeling sorry for myself and wondering what to eat.

So sorry, I know exactly how awful a reaction to morphine is:(

When I had my first hip surgery the doctors discovered my allergy to morphine. Absolutely dreadful. I had an anaphylactic reaction then, and the subsequent medicine made me sooo sick.

It really does make the whole thing worse. All-over miserable, cranky, ill, and irritable. Not to mention the drugged feeling:(

I hope your doctors at least gave you some Zofran to take as well for nausea and that you are able to get a bit of rest...and that your friend brings you lovely comfort food tomorrow:)

They gave me zofran, phenergan, ephedrine, and finally something I don't remember and have never heard of that finally worked. Dh wrote down the name of it for future reference. And she will. Something just came up tonight. She's a good friend.

Morphine reactions in our family, too, though more of the hallucinations type - yours sounds scary! Glad they figured out the remedy.

And surgery, to me, is never really minor. Even with a small procedure, the body is in some degree... violated, aye?

Hope your tomorrow is better and that your recovery is speedy.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. I agree, no surgery is minor, LOL. Dental work is a cause for pampering and caretaking as well. ;-)

Anesthesia makes me and my dad both very ill as well. I thought I couldn't take opiates/morphine because the first time I had them was combined with the sick feeling from anesthesia. I did fine with them later on (though not knowing your specific reaction, I don't want to encourage you to take a big risk if it's allergic or hallucinations or something).

They make 8 hour time release Tylenol if that helps (and some stores have a generic for it too--Kroger does). You actually get fewer mg of the drug using those than you do by taking the max dose of extra strength every four hours. Presumably easier on the liver and fewer ups and downs in pain control.

Pt went fairly well. I have a list of exercises to do every hour at home, and have to go back in a couple of days for a full session there too. And dh is off today and made a delicious dinner of reubens and Guiness cake for dessert. It is wonderful, though not helping me get back on my low carb eating plan! He has convinced me to wait one more day to get back to real life. The boys are coming home from my mom's tomorrow too, so that will be the official back to routine day.