Menu

Military Police/Civilian Police academic requirements

Most civilian police forces want at least an associate's degree and many prefer a bachelor's degree. So I would look at the requirements for a Criminal Justice degree. Here are the requirements at my local Cal State: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/ecat/undergrad-chapters/u-crja.html#prog-description

I would say some require an associate's degree and a few prefer a bachelor's degree. 

Only 2% to 3% of forces require a college degree, and 8% to 10% require an associate's or some college. About 80% require a high school diploma. Yep, that leaves a few percent that don't require a high school diploma. 

Of course, if you have specific goals in mind, you definitely want to check the requirements. About half of Spokane's force has a bachelor's, and another quarter have their associates. But some big cities, like San Diego, only require GED. All federal police agencies require a four-year degree. 

On the flip side, keep in mind the recent court case that said it's acceptable to not hire someone for the police force if their IQ is too high (above 120 or 125, usually). Apparently, those people do not stay with it. 

I would recommend googling: master at arms to civilian police

It may give you more specific info than you will find here. The gist of it seems to be that becoming military police will neither help nor hinder your chance of landing a civilian police job.

I have 2 bros. in law enforcement in two different states. In MN an associate degree is required, and a bachelor's is preferred. In AL only high school / GED + Academy is required. I would search specifically for your state's requirements.

For the Navy, he should try for getting Master-at-Arms "A" school as guaranteed training on his enlistment contract. After the Navy, G.I. bill for college with criminal justice major. Or, with MA background, as a veteran, he may not need more to be hired on to a civilian police force.

The department my DH works for has very strict hiring standards, but most of those were through physical/mental testing and interviews. DH does not have a degree and it was never a problem as it was not requited. He was still in the 1% of those who apply that were hired, and I'm sure many of those had degrees (some even in criminal justice). 

All that to say, even if you play educationally for him to be in that line of work, it is still difficult to get it. Higher education does not equal the job you want.

BUT, if that is his passion then it's definitely something to work toward. Just keep in mind other qualities they are looking for, not just education :)

When my husband applied for the Houston PD, 60 hours of college credit was required, but applicants with military experience were exempted from this requirement. It did not have to be an actual associates degree, and the field of study did not matter. The HPD also had a very generous tuition reimbursement program for additional college.

Where we live now, college is not required for entry police officers.

I would say some require an associate's degree and a few prefer a bachelor's degree.

Only 2% to 3% of forces require a college degree, and 8% to 10% require an associate's or some college. About 80% require a high school diploma. Yep, that leaves a few percent that don't require a high school diploma.

I am not sure it is enough, though, to know what is 'required. ' Our city only requires a high school diploma. But DS's academy class was almost all college graduates. He says that is who they are actually hiring, despite what the requirements officially are. They have far more good applicants than they have space for in the academy, so they can be choosey. I would try to talk to people (recruiters, new recruits) with actual knowledge of who has been getting hired in the last few years.

There are smaller town around us do not have their own academies and hire people with a basic law enforcement training certification available through community college. Not sure how many of them have degrees prior to seeking certification, which is generally at their own expense.

I am not sure it is enough, though, to know what is 'required. ' Our city only requires a high school diploma. ...

Totally agree.  Moreover, who knows what the requirements will be 10 years from now when it is time for him to apply?

Navy enlistment requirements:

- a high school diploma (which meets your state's homeschool requirements)

- NOT a GED (military now very selective; few GEDs accepted -- need 12 units of college to boost GED acceptance)

- study for and score high on the ASVAB test (to be eligible for tier 1 postions)

- must meet/exceed physical fitness requirements (see this list)

- some health issues are automatic disqualifiers, others are "red flags" that make acceptance difficult (see this list)

- NO debt

- NO criminal record

Navy officer requirements:

- in addition to the above: Bachelor's degree (most students go thru university ROTC program OR Naval Academy)

High School academics to boost Navy chances:

- 4 years = English (work especially on being a SOLID WRITER)

- 4 years = Math (at least up through Algebra 2)

- 3-4 years = Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics -- and a 4th, advanced science very helpful)

- 3 years = Social Studies (1 year US History, 1 year world History/Geog, 0.5 year each: Gov't & Econ)

- 2-4 years = Foreign Language (VERY helpful for military service!)

- Computer (use of various types of software; basic programming, etc.) (VERY helpful for better military positions)

- Public Speaking/Communication class

- PE (physical fitness a military requirement; varsity sports a big help)

- Fine Arts: Music (if student has musical interest, military branches have bands that offer special opportunities)

Extracurriculars to boost Navy chances:

- Sea Cadets

- Navy Junior ROTC

- participation in engineering and/or high school robotics club/team -- or summer program at your local university

- speech/debate team or public speaking opportunities

- involvement in leadership programs

- Varsity sports participation
- First Aid / CPR certification
- EMT certification

A lot of similarity and overlap for Police, although you'd want to check what the requirements are for the dept. you're interested in. All of the academics and extracurriculars listed above for Navy would be excellent to boost chances for entry into civilian Police service.

Does your local Police/Fire/emergency services department have a high school cadet program? Definitely go through that. Also look for summer programs that would enhance police service skills such as forensics science. Look into 4-H which has a gun-handling/safety and marksmanship program. In addition to the extracurriculars listed above for Navy, these could be tangentially helpful for Police service:
- orienteering (responsibility, map-reading, decision-making)
- defensive driving course
- martial arts

I'd strongly recommend looking into community colleges nearby and see if they offer a special program for high schoolers wanting to go into criminal justice / law enforcement / public safety that has you take coursework at a high school level. And consider dual enrollment in the junior & senior years, which allows to you count credits both as high school work AND college credit. It also allows you to get some of the basic required classes  (things like Writing 101 & 102, Computer, Communication, etc.) for an AAS in law enforcement done early, so then you can go straight into the meat of the program upon high school graduation.

Many police departments want at least an Associate's degree, if not a Bachelor's, which means they can quickly plug you into their dept. AND not have to pay for you to train you in law enforcement, police testimony techniques, law & legal matters, leadership and communications, multi-cultural issues, etc.

If interested in moving up into detective work or forensics, you would definitely want a Bachelor's degree -- so then you'd be wanting to look at the admission requirements of the university to know what academics to cover in high school in order to be able to then be admitted to the university. And, as previous posters have said, often the reality is that while the job description doesn't require a Bachelor's degree -- those who are college grads ARE the ones being hired.

The US Bureau of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook is a great starting point for research -- it lists what you do in the occupation, work environment, what education/training is required, where to get the education/training, pay levels, and outlook (prediction of how many jobs in that field will be out there in the future).

BEST of luck in researching and planning! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Around here, only a high school diploma or GED is required. A degree seems to be preferred though as my DH was one of only 2 in his academy class who didn't have one. When he was hired, over 100 applied (smallish department of 100 officers) and they hired only my DH and one other man. He was told that they usually prefer a degree but they were impressed with his stability - he had a solid work history with no gaps (although no military or other positions related to law enforcement), he had plenty of life experience, owned a home, and was supporting a wife and 3 children. The life experience combined with good test and physical agility scores and a squeaky clean background gave him a leg up over the college grads. So I would keep those other things in mind. Get a good work history, avoid debt (they check credit reports), stay out of trouble (drugs, alcohol, speeding tickets), get some life experience. Life experience is huge and I'm sure previous military experience will do it for him. At my DH's department they've had some extremely sheltered, sometimes home schooled kids apply and they all just read the application and laugh. :-( Poor kids don't have a chance.

A college degree can definitely help but you can also get a job without one in most places. The degree doesn't have to be in criminal justice either. My DH's co-workers have a variety of degrees. Some people recommend getting the degree in a different area of interest in case you change your mind later or suffer a career ending injury (we may be facing this right now and it's a bit scary as my DH doesn't have anything to fall back on.) I have a former piano student who is graduating in a different state with an 2 year degree in a police academy program. That may be an option if your state offers self-sponsored academies. My state doesn't. You have to be hired by a department first and then they send you to the academy and pay you as you go.

Good luck to your son! My husband was a home school graduate and he got on the 2nd department he applied for. I'm sure with your son planning this far ahead he won't have any trouble. :-)

I'm sure with your son planning this far ahead he won't have any trouble. :-)

Certainly, planning ahead is going to help. Something to consider is that most agencies offer reserve or explorer programs. This way he can see if the job is a fit for him, and people within will get to know his work ethic, personality, etc. It also shows a level of dedication and commitment, being that both are volunteer programs. My dh's current agency is more likely to hire a well-known, decent reserve over an unknown, outside candidate.

Definitely do some research on the departments your son is interested in. Find out what the official requirements are as well as the the "preferred" things that up your chances. Also look into extra programs that may be offered. Explorers give high school students the chance to see what the career entails in a first hand way and even learn some skills related to the job. Reserves allow you to get your foot in the door and get some training. A Ride-a-long can give an inside look into the department. In some states you start in the jail and promote into the police department. Learn how the academy works in the area he wants to work. It could be part of a college program, a stand alone academy that you pay your way through before you start the job search, department sponsored only (you are hired first then they send you), or a combination. If there are options find out what most departments prefer.

Each area of the country is different and it's helpful to know what your options are so you can be prepared. In my state there are limited Explorer posts, no reserve officers, you don't start in a jail, you have to be hired and sponsored by a department to go to the academy, and my DH's department doesn't allow ride alongs. I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder to get hired but that's how it is. We've looked into moving to other states and their "systems" seem so foreign to us! It's a good idea to become familiar with yours.

My brother is in law enforcement and he has his bachelor's and is working on his masters. He is in his mid-20s and has been in two departments. Competition has been very stiff. There are usually hundreds of applicants for a handful of jobs. (He wanted to be in a larger city, not a small town). So I have to agree with the people that said that the minimum requirements might not be enough to actually get hired.