Menu

Dd has coarse, thick hair, 16 year old, any suggestions on shampoo?

Prairie~Phlox

REDKEN has an excellent line you can purchase in a lot of places; the gold colored bottle is awesome and works great for frizzy, damaged, brittle or even chlorine hair.

I usually purchase it at Cost-Cutter's and use the punch card or Ulta has it; I've even seen it in Walmart and Target occasionally.

My oldest has had the best luck with suave naturals coco something.  I was very surprised.  

She also has to use baking soda (make a paste with a little shampoo) every two months or so to strip everything out of her hair.

I had the same issue at that age, before dd & before my thyroid went wacko. I second Aussie 3 Minute Miracle - I used it for years. I also used Mane & Tail shampoo & Conditioner - they worked good as well.

Now I use Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge, which is designed to put moisture into the hair. Works very well for me.

If she is showering every day - I found when I STOPPED shampooing my hair {or even wetting it} as often, it became more managable. Now I shampoo my hair maybe twice a week at most - in winter when it's dry I do once a week. The first day after washing it it is unruly, but then it gets enough natural oils to calm down.

She can oil her hair (olive oil works fine) an hour before she washes it too. That allows the hair shaft to integrate some of the moisture and the extra washes off with the shampoo. 

Also, coarser hair usually does not need to be washed as often. If she's washing every day she should decrease until she find what her hair likes the best. 

I use the costco shampoo and condition (sulfate free).  I do one part shampoo to three parts conditioner, mix it together, and concentrate on my scalp.  It seems to help.  I read about that method on pinterest somewhere and it was supposed to be like wen products.  Let it sit for a while then rinse.