Menu

waiting...waiting...waiting......

Elisabet1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you believe we are still waiting for one school? In the middle of April? We were emailed that letters would go out early next week, and that ds should expect a very generous offer.

Ugh! That's rough. I'm so sorry!

My son is still waiting for the financial info from one school. He e-mailed them a couple of days ago asking when he might expect to get the package, but they haven't responded.

Fortunately, I think he's pretty much made his decision, which will make the financial stuff from this last school moot, anyway. I just can't really wrap my brain around the fact that decision day is less than three weeks away and we still don't have all of the information.

It is amazing that some schools haven't provided all the info yet... or have been doing scholarship interviews so late.  I suspect that gives an advantage to schools who have good info out earlier.

We don't have our final financial info, but that's due to our appeal, not due to the school being late.

We have now seen the financial information from the remaining school, which was available through the admitted students portal online. (It might have been nice if they had at least answered the e-mail and let us know.)

Their offer does nothing to sway my son in that direction.

So, I think the decision is pretty much made.

We are joining the waiting crowd.....biting nails.  Turns out DS's First choice school didn't even START  scholarship awards until April 1 and they *hope* to have the award info out by May 1.  DS ended up tossing out his second choice school due to it being a bad fit (good financially but not a school he would have done well at socially), so school number 3 has suddenly moved up on the list and I have been scrambling to help DS get his paperwork moving for that one.  The backup school is a slam-dunk in terms of being afforadble and he has some friends going there, so that's a good thing.  But we are all hoping school #1 will come thru with a good offer.

Back to biting nails, I guess.

Ds called the ONE school where he applied, and they will start sending out notices the first week in JUNE!  At least I don't need to keep stalking the mailman. ;)

What notices are they sending in June - admission decision or financial aid?   Is he a transfer student? 

I think you win the prize for having the most justified reason to be freaking out, yet you seem so calm.   :svengo:

Ds called the ONE school where he applied, and they will start sending out notices the first week in JUNE!  At least I don't need to keep stalking the mailman. ;)

June?  When decision day for everyone else (except waitlist) is May 1st?  What (or where) is this for?

June 1st is their cut off date for applications for fall.  (Crazy!) Financial aid isn't as much of a concern due to the cost & requirements for attending.  It is a Native American University and has a VERY low cost of attendance.  Ds is 22 and refuses to go into a lot of debt in order to attend college. I had hoped because he got his application in early that we would hear something sooner rather than later.  If he does not get accepted, I think he will consider moving to a city and attending a community college part-time.  I am not sure this particular school is a good fit for him, but it is close to a state school, in a "college town," and he can afford the tuition.

I am really trying to just be happy that he agreed to apply somewhere and trust that he will end up where he is supposed to be.

The student account website that stores, among other things, all the financial aid info has been down all day. The main website is not. I hope that means they are adding financial aid info to our accounts. I really need to know what kind of job to look for this summer, temporary or permanent. 

We are still waiting on the final financial aid package from two schools.  We had to pay our deposit for both (housing choice was first come first serve depending on date of deposit, and this was important to us because only two floors out of all the dorms are gender-specific, which is what she and we want for her first year), but will need to withdraw from one by May 1.   I hope we hear by then!  We do have one that is quite good already, but just waiting to see how it all shakes out in the end.

...and still waiting.  It is hard to give up completely on this school since it's one of the two that we will (likely) be able to afford, and the faculty have been extremely enthusiastic about ds and have indicated he will be receiving a very generous dept. scholarship.  I think it is particularly discouraging to ds.  He doesn't even check the mail any more.

...and still waiting.  It is hard to give up completely on this school since it's one of the two that we will (likely) be able to afford, and the faculty have been extremely enthusiastic about ds and have indicated he will be receiving a very generous dept. scholarship.  I think it is particularly discouraging to ds.  He doesn't even check the mail any more.

Wow, Susan, I'm so sorry, I'm sure that has got to be either nerve-wracking or depressing for both you and your son.

Here's hoping a nice, fat envelope with a nice, fat scholarship land in your mailbox on Tuesday!

A friend's daughter has a scholarship interview next Saturday, April 12 at a private college. They don't know when the winners of the scholarship will be announced. (They were a week or two late announcing the interviewees.) That scholarship will be the decision maker since that school is her first choice. She just went and visited her second choice a regional state university in case the scholarship doesn't work out. 

I have another friend's daughter who is still waiting on the financials from her first choice music school. 

Sorry to all of you still waiting on decisions or financials.

My friend's daughter found out last week that she didn't receive the scholarship. She is now trying to find someone to co-sign a loan for her as mom in a post-divorce bankruptcy. I'm not sure what will happen, because she has ruled out the second choice. The second choice, a regional state university, still hasn't sent her the financial info. My friend called and over-the-phone they gave her the info, but it wasn't much cheaper than the private school. The private school already was her 2nd choice as she didn't apply for top choice, an OOS big-state U, because she "knew" she could't afford it. If she can't find a co-signer, I guess she will go to a local regional state u and live at home. The application deadline there is later.

My other friend's daughter changed her mind about her first long-term first choice music school and will be attending New England Conservatory of Music. (I don't know if the change had anything to do with money offer. They do think this school will be a better fit musically.  

DS18 found out today that scholarships *should* be awarded by the end of the second week in May for his first choice school. Probably. And that he is still in the running for more money.

Arrrrrrgh........ He still checks email daily just in case they get things moving earlier.

Fortunately, his backup school is good to go in case #1 falls through (he has to have the scholarships afford it). We just keep moving forward with both schools (housing, registration, signing up for orientation) until he hears back for sure from school #1.

It's tough because all of his buddies have their schools lined up already.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread for everyone else, BUT I thought I would update with our news.  He was ACCEPTED!  Okay, so they accepted him as a transfer student rather than an incoming freshman, but I'll let him sort that out.  My 22 yo son is (finally) headed to college in August. :) 

:party:  :party:  :party: 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

I know this is an old thread for everyone else, BUT I thought I would update with our news.  He was ACCEPTED!  Okay, so they accepted him as a transfer student rather than an incoming freshman, but I'll let him sort that out.  My 22 yo son is (finally) headed to college in August. :)

:party:  :party:  :party: