Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW11

Robin M

Regarding Robyn Carr's Thunder Point series --

What are your thoughts on reading these out of sequence?  It only mattered a little with small details in the Virgin River series.

Ideally, I'd recommend reading them in order.  The author shows relationships developing that are explored more fully in subsequent books.

Regards,

Kareni

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!  I was really hoping you'd like it.  I've read Winter Wedding by her and thought it was great.  I also read Escapade and thought it was fun but not my favorite.  

You are certainly welcome.  I'm so glad that I could help you gals put off feeding your children and help you neglect your housework ... I was concerned I was the only one that did that because I'd rather be reading.  

:laugh:

I have one friend IRL that does this, however, all the others are type A who would rather have a clean house than a finished book  :eek: I, too, am glad I'm not alone  ;)

I'm a snake-o-phobe so I don't know why I think the cover is (almost) pretty. I'm not sure whether to shudder or smile.

Big phobia of snakes here!  That cover is so NOT pretty!  Definitely deserves a  :eek:  and a shudder.  I wouldn't bring it in my house!   :001_tt2:  :willy_nilly:

Did I see some time back that a BaWer was reading The Living Page: Keeping Notebooks with Charlotte Mason?    If so, how did you enjoy it?  Is it useful even if there are not young children in the picture?   I'd love to start keeping my own notebooks and encouraging my teens to do so as well.   Is it too late for us?     My daughter and I have dabbled in commonplace books a little bit, but we always end up forgetting, or misplacing the book, or .....

I spent awhile trying to copy and paste the Boy, Snow, Bird cover that my library is showing. Super plain not even the eggs. Curious to see what I get because I appear to be first on the list. I found this http://www.npr.org/2014/03/07/282065410/the-professionally-haunted-life-of-helen-oyeyemi about Oyeyemi when trying to get the cover to work. I found it interesting. I tried to read Mr. Fox but needed to return it pretty much when I started it, I couldn't go quick so gave up and returned.

<snip>

I'm not sure I've ever read anything by Dillard other than Bird by Bird and that sort of writing-prompt kind of thing...

'Bird by Bird' is by a different Anne, Anne Lammott. I've read a few of her books, too, and while I enjoyed them Annie Dillard's, 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek' is more...evocative.

While I don't encourage snakes, their presence does not bother me. I'd rather have snakes in the yard than rodents. 

That said, I prefer the egg cover--probably because I love eggs--their shape, their speckled patterns, their potentiality. 

Reading-wise, I am behind the times with Helen Oyeyemi.  Mr. Fox is in my library bag and I plan to read it next week.

I spent awhile trying to copy and paste the Boy, Snow, Bird cover that my library is showing. Super plain not even the eggs. Curious to see what I get because I appear to be first on the list. I found this http://www.npr.org/2014/03/07/282065410/the-professionally-haunted-life-of-helen-oyeyemi about Oyeyemi when trying to get the cover to work. I found it interesting. I tried to read Mr. Fox but needed to return it pretty much when I started it, I couldn't go quick so gave up and returned.

Thanks for the link. Interesting indeed!

Am I the only one who thinks that 'Boy, Snow, Bird' cover is gorgeous? Not a snake-phobe here, in fact I consider them to be auspicious when I see them :D

It depends on the the type of snake and what it is doing, I can take them or leave them. If they are poisonous, I leave them. We kill copperheads in our yard (too dangerous for children), but let the black snakes and grass snakes do their thing.

The cover is gorgeous. It has many elements that work on the psyche to produce an aesthetically pleasing picture: that shade of green that denotes nature, spring, and calmness; the open rose is beautiful, soft, and fragrant; the snake is more like an embellishment than a snake, with curlicues and s-curves. There are no harsh edges or colors, no reminder of danger, except maybe the forked tongue, which is very subtle. Then there are the bold black words. It's a cover one is not likely to forget.

-----------------

I am currently reading Payment Deferred by C.S. Forester. It was his first popularly acclaimed book. Mostly suspense, but not horror, it gets on the nerves in an irritating kind of way. (The main character reminds me of Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter) I think I'm ready for a pleasant read that just lets you float along with it and makes you feel good about yourself and the world. Books that engage my emotions are wearing me down right now. 

Ugh, it's another 4 a.m. meditation replete with the usual blood-quickening questions about a life lived intentionally enough, mindfully enough, generously enough. The moon is spilling silver into the room blessing the edges of my unknowing with a diffuse light. This is the kind of luminous grace that only arises in those liminal hours between dark and dawn, between inbreath and outbreath, between the completeness we might envision being and the mystery we actually are. I'm anticipating such heady realities as milky, hot coffee, a sun flexing its golden and risible muscle, the morning dove sending her poetry out into the widening possibility of yet another new day...all these things seem like an astonishment right now in the silent, moon-edged darkness, miracles waiting patiently to be claimed.

Ugh, it's another 4 a.m. meditation replete with the usual blood-quickening questions about a life lived intentionally enough, mindfully enough, generously enough. The moon is spilling silver into the room blessing the edges of my unknowing with a diffuse light. This is the kind of luminous grace that only arises in those liminal hours between dark and dawn, between inbreath and outbreath, between the completeness we might envision being and the mystery we actually are. I'm anticipating such heady realities as milky, hot coffee, a sun flexing its golden and risible muscle, the morning dove sending her poetry out into the widening possibility of yet another new day...all these things seem like an astonishment right now in the silent, moon-edged darkness, miracles waiting patiently to be claimed.

Oh, I wish I could speak so beautifully about my 4am awakenings.  I can't call them meditations.

But this is the perfect thing for me to read this morning as I close off the computer to go babysit some rather challenging children so their parents can take a class at our church.  My daughter is going with me so there's a bright spot.   I am not the most generous person when it comes to time.   Why not? 

If I read picture books to them, can I add them to my count?  We are taking a bagful.  But I'm not sure they are the sort of children who like to sit with books.  That sort of child always baffles me. With my own when things got out of control all I had to do was pick up a book and sit down, and suddenly:  two quiet children in my lap.  

Did I see some time back that a BaWer was reading The Living Page: Keeping Notebooks with Charlotte Mason? If so, how did you enjoy it? Is it useful even if there are not young children in the picture? I'd love to start keeping my own notebooks and encouraging my teens to do so as well. Is it too late for us? My daughter and I have dabbled in commonplace books a little bit, but we always end up forgetting, or misplacing the book, or .....

I read it a few weeks ago, and loved it! It's definitely not too late for you and your teens. One of the things she said was that the Book of Centuries, the Commonplace Book and the Nature Notebook were meant to be "life-long companions" (or something to that effect). :)

Did I see some time back that a BaWer was reading The Living Page: Keeping Notebooks with Charlotte Mason?    If so, how did you enjoy it?  Is it useful even if there are not young children in the picture?   I'd love to start keeping my own notebooks and encouraging my teens to do so as well.   Is it too late for us?     My daughter and I have dabbled in commonplace books a little bit, but we always end up forgetting, or misplacing the book, or .....

I read it at the beginning of the year. No, no, no! It's definitely not too late. Read it! I love that book and keep going back to it. When I mentioned it here, I expressed my hopes that the book would change our homeschool, and it has, but I should have said that I hoped it would change our "lifestyle." Since reading it, we've started and kept up with all kinds of notebook adventures. Just one example: I started a book of firsts which was meant mainly for 6yos and 8yod, but my teenagers have had so much fun recording in it that it's become a family notebook. I don't have time to write more now, but read this article which discusses the book from the perspective of someone who is in the same stage you're in.

This was posted on facebook today:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/madisonlmedeiros/the-most-downloaded-books-in-each-state

(The most downloaded books in each state)

Hmmmm....maybe this will sound snobbish, but I found that list to be kind of depressing. And the sexist book about some guy's sexual and drinking "adventures" ? That doesn't strike me as good publicity for that particular state. :auto:

Elaine

Hmmmm....maybe this will sound snobbish, but I found that list to be kind of depressing. And the sexist book about some guy's sexual and drinking "adventures" ? That doesn't strike me as good publicity for that particular state. :auto:

Elaine

It wasn't particularly literary was it? After I read through the list there was only one book I was interested in putting on my list.  Most of the rest was stuff I will probably never read. (Definitely not the one you mentioned.) Much of it I've never heard of.  I did find it interesting that an Agatha Christie was Texas's most downloaded. I think all readers are their own book snobs in a way. I do find it fascinating, though, to see what other people are reading.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/madisonlmedeiros/the-most-downloaded-books-in-each-state

Yep a bit depressing but sadly I managed to find two books to request on that list. One a sci fi that someone in my household will probably like, the other dyan cannon writing about her life with Cary Grant. I am a bit of a fangirl too -- just don't keep up with current actors very well. ;)

Yep a bit depressing but sadly I managed to find two books to request on that list. One a sci fi that someone in my household will probably like, the other dyan cannon writing about her life with Cary Grant. I am a bit of a fangirl too -- just don't keep up with current actors very well. ;)

You're brave. I've always looooved Cary Grant in the movies. I'm just afraid to read a biography about him. I don't want to know. I put The Family Vault on my list. :)

You're brave. I've always looooved Cary Grant in the movies. I'm just afraid to read a biography about him. I don't want to know. I put The Family Vault on my list. :)

I have a suspicion it may be one where I skip around and just read bits. Every since I watched Heaven Can Wait with Dyan Cannon and my mom told me she was Cary Grant's wife I have wondered.....especially since they seemed happy. Probably going to regret it but....at least it says something along the lines of being a love letter!

Family Vault looks good too.

Oh, I wish I could speak so beautifully about my 4am awakenings.  I can't call them meditations.

But this is the perfect thing for me to read this morning as I close off the computer to go babysit some rather challenging children so their parents can take a class at our church.  My daughter is going with me so there's a bright spot.   I am not the most generous person when it comes to time.   Why not? 

If I read picture books to them, can I add them to my count?  We are taking a bagful.  But I'm not sure they are the sort of children who like to sit with books.  That sort of child always baffles me. With my own when things got out of control all I had to do was pick up a book and sit down, and suddenly:  two quiet children in my lap.  

Nor do I!

Well, why not call them that? Why not imbue the tossings and turnings of the palpable heart and all the untidiness that flows from the soul at that hour with a kind of holiness? Those bare, bone-smooth pre-dawn moments are when I'm most drenched with my humanity, a state I choose to see as an ongoing meditation by the Beloved, a grace, a sacrament in the broadest, truest sense of the word--a thing of mysterious and sacred significance. There's no escaping one's limitations and the questions that arise from them when the house is dark, when the silence is overwhelming, when each thought is bookended by one's breath and there isn't a single distracting influence. There's also no escaping the astonishment of it all. That there isn't much difference between the two is all the more reason to yield to that great cathedral of awe. I know that I'm not the only one assailed by these kinds of questions at that hour, not in a group of sensitive, intelligent, curious souls as this group of BaWers is. Plus questions of generosity are one of the themes handed out to moms just after the placenta is delivered :lol: It's all in the lens one chooses to view things.

And Marbel, the image of you sitting and reading to a child who isn't yours, whom you struggle with and who you don't want to be reading to at all is as sacred as the image of the budding trees right outside our window--both manifestations of generosity and grace.

And as for books, my day will be spent with Annie Dillard at Tinker Creek...

I enjoyed the article. Thank you! I find it interesting that she lives in Prague and thinks she's ugly, but interesting? I thought her photo was rather striking. Pretty.

I just finished Boy Snow Bird last night, and I think it helped me understand the story better to read that she doesn't consider herself a part of magical realism, that feelings are forces that change reality. I was lying in bed last night thinking about how gothic parts of the story are, and how completely normal others are, and I just felt magical realism was the wrong label but it still fit. Maybe she is magical realism, but it's a different shade of magical realism. 

Anyone read her other things? What do you think? Would you classify her as magical realism? 

I found the list kind of funny, and random, but it helped that Wisconsin was Neil Gaiman' Neverwhere. Appropriate since he lives here and not too embarrassing.

Anyone glad 50 Shades was not on the list?   ;)

I read it a few weeks ago, and loved it! It's definitely not too late for you and your teens. One of the things she said was that the Book of Centuries, the Commonplace Book and the Nature Notebook were meant to be "life-long companions" (or something to that effect). :)

I read it at the beginning of the year. No, no, no! It's definitely not too late. Read it! I love that book and keep going back to it. When I mentioned it here, I expressed my hopes that the book would change our homeschool, and it has, but I should have said that I hoped it would change our "lifestyle." Since reading it, we've started and kept up with all kinds of notebook adventures. Just one example: I started a book of firsts which was meant mainly for 6yos and 8yod, but my teenagers have had so much fun recording in it that it's become a family notebook. I don't have time to write more now, but read this article which discusses the book from the perspective of someone who is in the same stage you're in.

Yea!  Thank you!  I think I am going to get it.  That article was perfect, particularly this:

I suppose I was worried that the book would make me feel guilty.  We had, after all, failed at keeping a Book of the Centuries.  My children had not made a Book of Firsts or a Bible Notebook, but as I read the book I began to see the very thing I so often promote: the idea that we are working on something for the long haul--the very long haul--an entire lifetime.  If I start something with a twelve-year-old, something educational in the truest sense of the word, then he has his entire life to complete it. No, not to complete it: to enjoy it.  Even at fifty-something I can begin my own Book of the Centuries, just as last year I finally started my own nature notebook.

Thanks so much!

<snip>

And Marbel, the image of you sitting and reading to a child who isn't yours, whom you struggle with and who you don't want to be reading to at all is as sacred as the image of the budding trees right outside our window--both manifestations of generosity and grace.

<snip>

Aw, that is sweet. 

The kids would not settle down to read.  Not one bit.  Ah well.   We had some sweet moments and some tough ones; I could not have done it without my daughter who has a such gift with little children.  Unlike her Mom... I love my kids but I never, ever miss the baby/toddler days.  

That there isn't much difference between the two is all the more reason to yield to that great cathedral of awe. I know that I'm not the only one assailed by these kinds of questions at that hour, not in a group of sensitive, intelligent, curious souls as this group of BaWers is.

I've always wondered why this isn't more of a broached subject...the dark night of the soul or the elation of a soul in solitude.

Is it too personal to discuss? I've always wondered if the percentage of souls roving through the dark was a low one, and thus no one ever expects anyone else to understand. 

I have a suspicion it may be one where I skip around and just read bits. Every since I watched Heaven Can Wait with Dyan Cannon and my mom told me she was Cary Grant's wife I have wondered.....especially since they seemed happy. Probably going to regret it but....at least it says something along the lines of being a love letter!

Family Vault looks good too.

Time travel moment...can you hear the whoosh as I rush back to the 70s, my Dorothy Hamill haircut fluttering in the updraft? :lol:

I've always wondered why this isn't more of a broached subject...the dark night of the soul or the elation of a soul in solitude.

Is it too personal to discuss? I've always wondered if the percentage of souls roving through the dark was a low one, and thus no one ever expects anyone else to understand. 

Perhaps folks think it's too personal to discuss and that's their prerogative but as I get older I find these kinds of arisings and questions are most prescient, they are the ones most leaning into the pleats and creases of my soul. So if I'm feeling them I figure other folks are too and those who care to share will and those who care not to will just read along and conduct their own private conversations within, all of us participants in the Mystery nonetheless.

I understand the elation of a soul in solitude, but for me it is not when I awaken in the middle of the night. Then, I do my best to just float on a sea of randomness and let my thoughts drift lazily, hopefully carrying me back to the land of Nod. If I'm truly awake and alert then I just get out of bed and usually get on the computer to watch Coursera videos or check my favorite sites. My alert mind with nothing to do tends to dwell on the negative and invents worries that produce anxiety.

I enjoyed the article. Thank you! I find it interesting that she lives in Prague and thinks she's ugly, but interesting? I thought her photo was rather striking. Pretty.

Anyone read her other things? What do you think? Would you classify her as magical realism.

I requested "White is for Witching" after reading that article because she said it was unlikable. Have to give it a try! She is so definate in her opinions -- only needs more friends if one dies. I can't do the google eyed emoticon but one belongs here!

A few book-related news items I stumbled across earlier today:

The Goldfinch is being made into a movie - or something

Americanah, my current read, won an award last night. The non-fiction winner  (which won the Pulitzer Prize for literature) sounds interesting. I added it to my TBR list.

Public libraries still matter to Americans.

I just finished Boy Snow Bird last night, and I think it helped me understand the story better to read that she doesn't consider herself a part of magical realism, that feelings are forces that change reality. I was lying in bed last night thinking about how gothic parts of the story are, and how completely normal others are, and I just felt magical realism was the wrong label but it still fit. Maybe she is magical realism, but it's a different shade of magical realism.

Anyone read her other things? What do you think? Would you classify her as magical realism?

I read her book Mr. Fox about a year & a half ago. Loved, loved it & rated it 5 stars. (Normally, I'm a library girl. I loved this book so much that I ended up buying the hardcover after reading the library's copy.)

I first heard about it & decided to read it based on a review by a Goodreads friend of mine; her review:

Mr. Fox is about the most enchanting and captivating book I have read in quite some time. Helen Oyeyemi is a highly inventive and multi-faceted storyteller. Her characters are both anchored in reality and in the worlds of fantasy and fairy tales. They can be serious or funny and ironic, they can fall in love beyond bounds or hate with a passion, they can be docile and subdued or vicious and violent. Underneath it all are serious issues being addressed despite the playful manner in which the novel is written. The stories within this story jump with ease from one level of reality to another and back at the blink of an eye. If there is anything like a plot, it is secondary to the characters and stories they live and/or imagine for themselves and for each other. What is it about? Well, that is difficult to explain without revealing too much. The enjoyment is in the exploring of it bit by bit...

Just a few hints: Remember the story of Bluebeard? The noble man who had a track record of killing his young wives because they were too curious? Until, that is, when he came across one that was the right match for him: she fought back. There is also an ancient, similar story of a Mister Fox... and foxes are important to Oyeyemi's story. With Mr. Fox she has created a modern version of the old fairy tale, adding modern life's complexities through any number of original twists and turns. Her Mr. St. John Fox is a well-known writer who creates stories where, unfortunately, the heroine... well, you get the sense of it. Until a female challenger turns up and everything is up for grabs. To add another layer to the stories, there are three in this union... And yes, there is a subtle delicate structure to the novel, a bit like a jigsaw where all the pieces will fit in the end in some way.

Mr. Fox is a book that will not be great fun for readers who like a linear plot or story lines. The stories within the story lead the reader to places around the world and beyond, personal challenges are issued all the time, and the voices change (or do they?). It is quite a ride, funny, heart-warming and full of surprises.

Here's what I wrote on Goodreads at the time...

Wow. A wonderful tapestry of overlapping stories based on folk & fairy tales (Bluebeard/fox tales), morphing between reality & imagination & back again. Lyrically written. It's by turns fascinating, magical, creepy, bizarre, funny, & utterly enchanting. Hard to describe. Amazing. And wonderful.

Although there are some magical elements in her story, I'm not sure I'd call her a magical realist (at least based on Mr. Fox). You're right in that, in a way, magical realism fits as a label, yet it still doesn't really seem like the correct label. She pulls in elements from many things, has her own unique style, resulting in being parts of many, yet being none of any...?

Fascinating article. Thanks for posting it. No wonder I like her stories so much. I love that they have personalities & lives of their own & she just shepherds them. :coolgleamA:

Today I read Lora Leigh's Rule Breaker: A Novel of the Breeds.  I enjoyed it, but I think you'd miss out on a lot if you haven't already been reading the series.  Definite adult content.

"Lion Breed and enforcer Rule Breaker has just a few rules he doesn’t break. Not for anything. Not for anyone—like never have sex with a woman outside his own breed, especially a human woman. Especially someone too helpless, too fun loving and too full of life to ever be able to protect herself, let alone help him to protect her.

If the damned animal inside him insists on a mate, then why pick her? A woman who is an easy target and who can be used as a weapon against him at any time.

But what he suspects is mating heat may not be that at all. Just his animal instincts rioting, pacing, irritated whenever he's away from her.

Okay, he can handle that.

What ensues is a fiery affair that breaks all the rules of mating heat and will eventually endanger his mate with the very rules designed to protect the Breeds—for she’s possibly been working against them…"

Regards,

Kareni

A few book-related news items I stumbled across earlier today:

The Goldfinch is being made into a movie - or something.

Americanah, my current read, won an award last night. The non-fiction winner (which won the Pulitzer Prize for literature) sounds interesting. I added it to my TBR list.

Public libraries still matter to Americans.

Thanks! Americanah is in my tbr pile. I'm going to add that non-fiction book, Five Days at Memorial, as well.

What an interesting assortment.  Guess there are a lot of romance readers out there.  But seriously - Sarah Silverman's Bedwetter is the most downloaded book in New York.  Obviously not a lot of brainiacs from there.   At least some of the states redeemed themselves with Jo Nesbo, Guillermo Del Tor, Elmore Leonard, Neil Gaiman and Agatha Christie.  My dad just told me about Todd Burpo's Four Minutes in Heaven which I've been meaning to read. 

Shop just closed and I'm off to go grocery shopping.  Later chickas!

Today I read Lora Leigh's Rule Breaker: A Novel of the Breeds.  I enjoyed it, but I think you'd miss out on a lot if you haven't already been reading the series.  Definite adult content.

"Lion Breed and enforcer Rule Breaker has just a few rules he doesn’t break. Not for anything. Not for anyone—like never have sex with a woman outside his own breed, especially a human woman. Especially someone too helpless, too fun loving and too full of life to ever be able to protect herself, let alone help him to protect her.

If the damned animal inside him insists on a mate, then why pick her? A woman who is an easy target and who can be used as a weapon against him at any time.

But what he suspects is mating heat may not be that at all. Just his animal instincts rioting, pacing, irritated whenever he's away from her.

Okay, he can handle that.

What ensues is a fiery affair that breaks all the rules of mating heat and will eventually endanger his mate with the very rules designed to protect the Breeds—for she’s possibly been working against them…"

Regards,

Kareni

Didn't know a new Breed book was out. I've read them all.  Hot flash worthy books!

#22. Michigan -- Serena by Ron Rash

This is a book I saw on a list at the beginning of the year of books that are coming out as movies in 2014. This one will star Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence (they seem to be the 'it' couple in movies these days).

I got the book from the library about a month ago & started reading it, but it's harsh & dark & was going places I didn't want to go, so I stopped reading it.

'Bird by Bird' is by a different Anne, Anne Lammott. I've read a few of her books, too, and while I enjoyed them Annie Dillard's, 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek' is more...evocative.

Oh, will you look at that.  Well then.  I'll look out for the Other Anne...   :rolleyes: