Menu

Your Favorite Bean or Lentil Recipes? Please share!

tammyw

I'm attempting to cook more with beans and lentils and less with meat. Here is my new favorite that we are having for dinner tonight (it's amazing!). Please share your favorite recipes!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lentil-soup-recipe.html

This also a serious favorite - Tamarind Lentils! We serve it with the Garlic Saffron rice from the Veganomicon cookbook (both are there):

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3392452-Tamarind-Lentils

That's very similar to my recipe except for the pasta - I leave it out.

We also like a cold lentil salad as a side dish for picnics, cook-outs, etc. I don't have a specific recipe but use lentils, red onion- chopped, carrot- chopped, celery-chopped, parsley (or cilantro - but one of my kids says cilantro tastes like soap, so I use parsley instead.)  Sometimes I add cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes as well. I cook the lentils and toss the chopped carrot in the water with the lentils for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking so the carrots are a bit softer.  After draining I mix it all together and add an oil/vinegar dressing.  I like to use part balsamic if I have it on hand. Salt/pepper to taste. Chill.

edit - 'cause I didn't read what I wrote before  posted it ;(

This recipe is easy. Don't have an ingredient? Skip it. Use real garlic instead of powdered. Still good. As long as you just toast the spices and don't burn them it'll be great.

KungFuPanda's Super Easy Mulligatawny Soup!

Here's the soup:

2 cups red lentils

5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)

5 cups water

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 tablespoons salt

2 medium potatoes (pared and cut up)

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Lemon juice

plain yogurt

Put lentils, water, 2 tablespoons of salt, and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove from pot and puree mixture in blender. To the pot, add the olive oil and garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cayenne (I put all of the spices together in bowl so that I can add them at once.) Toast the spices in the heated olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Keep them moving and don't let them scorch or your soup will be bitter. Return the pureed soup to the pot and mix well with the spices. Simmer for about 5 minutes more. Add water to thin if necessary, or simmer longer to thicken.

Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt and a splash of lemon juice.

Enjoy :-)

That's very similar to my recipe except for the pasta - I leave it out.

We also like a cold lentil salad as a side dish for picnics, cook-outs, etc. I don't have a specific recipe but use lentils, red onion- chopped, carrot- chopped, celery-chopped, parsley (or cilantro - but one of my kids says cilantro tastes like soap, so I use parsley instead.)  Sometimes I add cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes as well. I cook the lentils and toss the chopped carrot in the water with the lentils for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking so the carrots are a bit softer.  After draining I mix it all together and add an oil/vinegar dressing.  I like to use part balsamic if I have it on hand. Salt/pepper to taste. Chill.

edit - 'cause I didn't read what I wrote before  posted it ;(

I make something very similar to this for our lunches, depending on what vegetables I have on hand. The kids ate it without enthusiasm. Then, I added a few pieces of bacon...so, so good. The kids request it now.

I make something very similar to this for our lunches, depending on what vegetables I have on hand. The kids ate it without enthusiasm. Then, I added a few pieces of bacon...so, so good. The kids request it now.

Sometimes I add bacon too. :drool5:

I can't share my favorite recipes because they're in books and I don't want to violate copyright laws. 

However, I really like a bed of dry-ish lentils with fish on top, and a pat of lemon butter (I used minced preserved lemons that I make myself, but you can also just use lemon zest and a bit of juice). 

Leftover cold dry-ish lentils mixed with a vinaigrette and topped with sliced hard-boiled egg is a great leftovers dish.

Every two weeks or so we make a large lentil soup with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, spinach or other greens, sausage, bacon, and potatoes (the potatoes help absorb the fat from the meat).  The meat makes it feel like a nice, full dinner meal, and the lentils make it economical, and the veggies really fill it out and make it special.

We're somewhere in the middle of conventional/traditional/paleo, so we don't mind a bit of meat or fat.  Or carbs, for that matter.  But I really require fiber in my diet since having kids, and lentils are a quick and cheap way to get it, and vary up my normal sweet potato/squash methods. 

See a trend with lentils here?  I don't really like beans because they make us so gassy, but for some reason lentils are relatively easy on us!

Lentils with tomato:

1 cup lentils

1 16 oz can of diced tomato (or 14 oz or whatever they sell these days). Drain and keep liquid

3 or 4 cloves or garlic (more or less as you like)

1 Knorr vegetarian vegetable boullion cube (optional, but I swear it makes lentils taste so good)

water, wine, veg stock as you like

olive oil for sauteing garlic

Saute garlic in oil, I use less than a tablespoon but YMMV. When it starts to soften add the drained diced tomato. While that is heating measure out the reserved juice from the tomato. You are going to need a total of 2 1/2 cups liquid. You can use the tomato juice and water or add some wine or use stock. I usually use the reserved juice and water to make 2 cups and 1/2 cup red wine if I have it. I usually don't have it because who has extra wine? And if I did, I wouldn't waste it on FOOD, but anyway...

When you have a total of 2 and 1/2 cups liquid, add that to the pan, along with the lentils and the knorr cube. Bring to a boil (shouldn't take long) and then reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to gently simmer for 35 mins? It could be 30 and it could be 40. You want the liquid absorbed and the lentils soft.

Serve over rice (we like brown) or cous-cous. I like to add a dollop of greek yogurt on top and a dash of hot sauce.

Is great cold the next day on top of salad greens.

Here's my go-to, Thursday night, winter, meatless, lentil dish:

Baked Lentils With Cheese, from More With Less

In 9X13 combine -

1 lb lentils

4 c. Water

Bay Leaf

1 t. Salt

1/4 (ish) pepper

Dash of marjoram, thyme and safe

2 lg. Onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic

28 oz. Canned tomatoes

Cover and bake @ 375 30 min.

Stir in -

2 carrots, sliced

1/2 c. Thinly sliced celery

Bake covered 40 minutes.

Sir in -

1 green pepper, chopped

2 T. Parsley, chopped

Sprinkle on top -

3 c. Shredded Cheddar (you know this is why they love it, nothing else really matters)

Bake 5 minutes to melt cheese.

My 7 year old decided to become a vegetarian about a year ago so we've been doing lots of lentils and beans. I'm saving this thread for new ideas! 

Our favorite is probably lentil tacos in the slow cooker. This is kind of combined from a couple of online recipes and I usually just kind of wing it so the amounts are just estimates. My family doesn't like spicy stuff much so I make it on the bland side and I like cumin so I add a lot. You can adjust as fits you. 

1 cup dry lentils

1/2 cup quinoa

some chopped onion (about half an onion)

some garlic (about 1-2 cloves)

4 cups water or veg broth (if you use broth, use less salt)
Some cumin (about 1-2 tsp)

Some oregano (about 1 tsp)

Some chili powder (about 1 tsp)

Salt and pepper to taste 

Cook in slow cooker for about 8 hours on low. If it seems to be getting too thick, you can add more water. Use like a meat taco filling. 

Even my meat eaters like this and it does give the texture and mouth-feel of a regular taco.

We also do a lot of bean or lentil chilis in the slow cooker. For those there is no recipe. Just toss in whatever beans you have, some vegetables, some broth or water and spices (oregano, cumin, salt and chili powder usually for me). I've gotten so a like to add a little quinoa too, just to give my son some extra protein. I add about 1/2 cup for the whole pot. Cook about 8 hours on low. 

The kids other favorite is bean enchiladas..

Two cans black beans 

One can corn or about one cup frozen corn (don't need to thaw)

Whatever veggies you have (peppers, spinach, leftover grilled veggies)

Leftover rice if you have it

About 1/2 cup sour cream

About 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese 

(Makes about 6-8 enchiladas)

Mix everything together. Spread down middle of tortilla (I use flour because that's what I like, I know corn is more traditional). Roll up and put seam side down in a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Pour one can of enchilada sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with more grated cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Uncover for last 10  minutes.