Menu

Bluedorn reviews? (aka leaving CC)

I'm mobile and my search function just may not be working properly so links are great too but I'd love any feedback on Bluedorn's Teaching the Trivium. I'm going to finish TWTM soon, and have read The Core by Leigh Bortins, and Wisdom and Eloquence. I have loved the idea of CC's Challenge levels but need to accelerate and have butted up against a rigid birthdate cutoff. So it looks like I'm on my own. I would love to come close to duplicating the "dialectic discussion" portion and loved the idea of having the discussion group have a common content base to facilitate, hopefully, discussion, that integrates across subjects/subject matter as well as a biblical worldview. All thoughts appreciated! (FWIW I already have a copy of Bluedorn and have the Liberal Arts Tradition in my Amazon cart).

Oh it's not published in public materials from what I can tell. Twelve by September 30th.

It's on the enrollment form, at least.

We bumped up against that as well.  I guess it's ok for a child to behind and enroll in Challenge A as an 8th grader (birthdate-wise), but not to be ahead and enroll as a 6th grader (birthdate-wise).  After 2 years of boredom and not much academic challenge in A & B we are not registering for I next year.

It's been too long since I read Bluedorn to answer the OP, but thanks for the reminder; I have to hunt down my copy and reread it.

Teaching the Trivium was the first book on homeschooling that I read, so it is special to me. :) it has been a long time since I have read it, but it seemed like they spent a long time scripturally justifying the decision to homeschool as the only logical choice. I had already decided to homeschool so it seemed like overkill. The rest of the book is about how they do/did it. I loved reading it. I really like their "10 things to do before age..." I have referred back to those sections many times. They made it seem so ideal. I have not been to their website for a while, but they had articles posted on the 10 things to do before age... I am not sure if they still do.

FWIW -- some campuses were already enforcing the age cutoffs before CC came out firm on this.  My youngest went to Challenge A at 12 because that is what the director required and there was a waiting list, but we probably could have done it a year earlier without blinking.  Still good though, and there were other factors that made that the right choice that year. 

I agree that Teaching the Trivium is probably a little more basic than you want.  There are some good tips for the middle years, but it was more focused on why and then the youngers and olders with less in between.

Thank you guys for the feedback about Bluedorn. I would be eager to hear any other reading recommendations that might give me encouragement/guidance about what I described above (the dialectic discussion with peers over common content). Our campus NEEDS the students to even make the class open, AND needs a tutor (which I was considering). Oh well. 

I read it and was very skeptical of  their arguments about the Trivium being found in Scripture.  They didn't convince me and I think they misused Scripture by claiming it says things it just doesn't say.  This immediately made my red flags go up-not on Christian Trivium Classical Education in general, but about them as individuals who I think run fast an loose with Scripture.   I think Teaching the Trivium has very useful for ideas about education, but they're on theological probation with me when it comes to what they claim the Bible is talking about as it related to this particular form of education. 

I disagree with them with when it comes to Formal Logic, especially when the oldest son spoke at my local homeschool convention and said women shouldn't teach formal logic if dad is willing, because women aren't good at it.  The logic book that son wrote, Thinking Toolbox, (at least I think that's what the title was called) had very little logic in it.  It was not systematic or formal and frankly, didn't contain a lot of logic even in a casual way.  It was a lot of arguments for social conservatism and conservative theology, but it just wasn't logic.  I recommend Martin Cothran's series from Memoria Press for actual formal logic-it's also got a conservative slant to it, but it does contain actual logic.

I have loved the idea of CC's Challenge levels but need to accelerate and have butted up against a rigid birthdate cutoff. So it looks like I'm on my own. I would love to come close to duplicating the "dialectic discussion" portion and loved the idea of having the discussion group have a common content base to facilitate, hopefully, discussion, that integrates across subjects/subject matter as well as a biblical worldview...

Perhaps a little afield of your original question, BUT, I didn't want you to think you were entirely on your own with classical education at home. ;) Just a few to get you started, and hopefully others will also throw in additional, specific classical resources for you:

Curricula

Veritas Press

Tapestry of Grace

Great Books Academy

Memoria Press

Classical Ed Online Courses

Scholars Online (Christian)

Classical Learning Resource Center (Christian)

Veritas Press Scholars' Academy (Christian)

Resources/Support

Classical Christian Homeschooling (articles, links, support loop, catalog)

Classical Scholar (articles, books, curricula)

I agree about the Bleudorn's theology, my beliefs and scripture interpretation is usually different than most mainstream Christians so I thought it was just me. They are also very conservative, which I am not. I need to pull the book out again and review it before I say much more. I will say that I never did get a clear picture of classical education from them. I know about so e of the links posted below and they were helpful. There are some that are new, thank you!

Perhaps a little afield of your original question, BUT, I didn't want you to think you were entirely on your own with classical education at home. ;) Just a few to get you started, and hopefully others will also throw in additional, specific classical resources for you:

Hey, I'm familiar with some of those (VP was used at the Classical Christian School we pulled our daughter out of because they..um...wouldn't consider accelerating...LOL) but there look like quite a few new-to-me ones. Are there any that help provide guidance on doing classical education -together- like CC does (the dialectic discussion groups where the students share common content from multiple different subjects and can talk about how they relate to one another and to a biblical worldview? (vs. discussion-friendly co-ops that only cover one topic at a time?) EDIT: I realized I keep coming back to that. I think it's because that's the part that grieves me most about leaving CC.

Picked up Bluedorn and tried to start it while DD was at gymnastics. Had trouble staying awake. Bad sign....

Thanks!

Curricula

Veritas Press

Tapestry of Grace

Great Books Academy

Memoria Press

Classical Ed Online Courses

Scholars Online (Christian)

Classical Learning Resource Center (Christian)

Veritas Press Scholars' Academy (Christian)

Resources/Support

Classical Christian Homeschooling (articles, links, support loop, catalog)

Classical Scholar (articles, books, curricula)

To your list I'd also add:

The Circe Institute

Dorothy Sayer's Lost Tools of Learning

If the OP has an interest in other forms of Classical Education I submit in no particular order:

A Thomas Jefferson Education

A Thomas Jefferson Education Companion Book

www.theprincipleappraoch.org

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

Greenleaf Press

And an argument could be made for:

Robinson's Curriculum

My Father's World

Sonlight

Since there are so many versions and interpretations of Classical Education it's hard to say what is or isn't.

To your list I'd also add:

The Circe Institute

Dorothy Sayer's Lost Tools of Learning

If the OP has an interest in other forms of Classical Education I submit in no particular order:

A Thomas Jefferson Education

A Thomas Jefferson Education Companion Book

www.theprincipleappraoch.org

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

Greenleaf Press

And an argument could be made for:

Robinson's Curriculum

My Father's World

Sonlight

Since there are so many versions and interpretations of Classical Education it's hard to say what is or isn't.

Thank you! I have the Thomas Jefferson books and I want to read them soon. I have been trying to work my way through several CM books (including her own) but I feel like CC's version of classical was the first one that I went "ooh, I like that!" (but I hadn't read TWTM yet). After reading this article http://www.welltrainedmind.com/the-classical-side-of-charlotte-mason/ and reflecting on what I had learned about both so far, I think what appealed to me in CM was where it overlapped with classical education. Well, that and where it overlapped with Montessori. I don't think I'll be comfortable with more programmatic curricula like MFW and Sonlight although I have heard good things from them. I know I see a lot of people dogging CC for not being classical or not doing classical right, but it is still my starting reference, and there IS a lot I liked about it... (at least coming in in 5th grade).

Thank you! I have the Thomas Jefferson books and I want to read them soon. I have been trying to work my way through several CM books (including her own) but I feel like CC's version of classical was the first one that I went "ooh, I like that!" (but I hadn't read TWTM yet). After reading this article http://www.welltrainedmind.com/the-classical-side-of-charlotte-mason/ and reflecting on what I had learned about both so far, I think what appealed to me in CM was where it overlapped with classical education. Well, that and where it overlapped with Montessori. I don't think I'll be comfortable with more programmatic curricula like MFW and Sonlight although I have heard good things from them. I know I see a lot of people dogging CC for not being classical or not doing classical right, but it is still my starting reference, and there IS a lot I liked about it... (at least coming in in 5th grade).

I'm a hybrid of CM, TWTM and unit studies myself.

Karen Andreola and Penny Gardner give two different more modern takes on CM if you're interested in that sort of thing.

The book Wild Days by Rackliffe is a good read if you want a concise modern version of in the field nature studies and making discovery journals. 

...not to mess up your budget or anything. Just a friendly FYI.

Oh it's not published in public materials from what I can tell. Twelve by September 30th.

So this is absolute?  No exceptions even if you can convince your local director/tutor that she is ready for it?   I have a child that I bumped a grade across the board b/c it was NECESSARY.  I will never consider any school that won't acknowledge her grade and I have standardize testing to accompany it.  But they won't accept her when she is a 7th grader if she is 11?  I knew it was discouraged, but I was thinking I could ignore that and push for what she needs.  But I'm wrong that this is an option?

As far as I can tell. I was considering signing up to BE the Challenge A director/tutor because our community doesn't have one yet and (because its how I am) I let them know my plans, and I got push back. First from the F/E director (who doesn't have any authority over the decision of the Challenge director from what I understand, but works in tandem with them). We pushed through discussions with the Support Manager and Area Manager, and got to the Regional Manager (superseded only by the National Directors/Managers/whatever and Board of Directors) with no success, then decided it was not an appropriate fit and weren't interested in pushing any farther. Need for flexibility in academic placement is THE ONLY reason we started homeschooling. I was told by one of them that she was aware that the matter had been pushed all the way up to Corporate and no one had ever succeeded. I wish them (CC) the best of luck but it's not a good fit for us anymore. And I think they will begin to consistently lose a portion of the homeschooling community - those who left "school" to find flexibility for their accelerated kids. Sadly, IMO I think it also is antithetical to their strongly stated position that "the parent is the teacher." 

Hmm, well, I just read the 10 Things to Do Before Ten article, that was hard to stomach. I don't know how I've managed at all without my husband directing our homeschool. Kids don't need to be around other kids (except in rare heavily supervised activities), socialization is a new worldly concept, instead let them have a hopechest and do lots of chores.

Does your daughter want to go to the library only when she can socialize with these other children? Most of my children are grown, and I have gone through similar problems with them, so I may be able to address your problem. I assume from your letter that your daughter likes to be around other children. She feels lonely. Perhaps she even would like to go to school. Young children like yours actual need very little socialization. In fact I would avoid it, except for occasional, controlled situations when you have another family over to visit and your children play with their children. The notion that every child needs another child of his same age to play with all of the time is an idea invented in the twentieth century. Whether many children like it or not, it is nevertheless generally a bad idea. Involve your daughter in crocheting, knitting, sewing, and other craft work. Perhaps she can make things to give away, or even sell. My girls sew costumes. Teach your daughter to cook. An eleven year old girl is perfectly capable of cooking an entire meal, from start to finish. Obtain a large hope chest for your daughter and have her begin making things to fill it. A profitable use of time for young ones is raising food in the garden and storing it up for the winter. Is she good at drawing or painting? She could produce little booklets on a variety of subjects (birds, dogs, flowers, etc.) to sell or give away. Incorporate this into her school work. She needs to get busy doing things for others and to worry less about her own little desires and comforts.

So this is absolute?  No exceptions even if you can convince your local director/tutor that she is ready for it?  

I could be wrong, but from what I heard at a CC intro meeting, there are no exceptions. The woman who talked to us said that although younger kids could handle the academic side of the material, they were 'socially immature.' (Which, BTW, would be true of my oldest - who wouldn't make their cut-off date. My kids are pretty sheltered in terms of worldly peer social things (although not from current events).) I, too, felt that they were going to alienate quite a few families who left the public school system partially due to rigidness in terms of age/grade. They also have some sort of agreement with a college for college credit as an extension of Challenge III & IV that requires a certain age by a certain date. They just extended down the age(s) so they wouldn't run into an issue later.

I don't know if there is any way to have a Socratic type of integrated-subject discussion other than to form your own local group or find an online class (perhaps through something like Memoria Press that offers a full curriculum). We have found a couple of families who don't at all follow the same eclectic path we do, but whom nonetheless have a similar base of information to discuss and build on. My admittedly young kids have some pretty crazy discussions on their own and with these friends. I don't usually even try to keep up.

Hmm, well, I just read the 10 Things to Do Before Ten article, that was hard to stomach. I don't know how I've managed at all without my husband directing our homeschool. Kids don't need to be around other kids (except in rare heavily supervised activities), socialization is a new worldly concept, instead let them have a hopechest and do lots of chores.

*twitch*

I wouldn't really recommend it. There are some good ideas mixed in with a lot of extremely conservative lifestyle advice and commentary, from what I remember. Though it's probably been five years since I read it.

Thomas Jefferson education was mentioned upthread. I wouldn't call this classical. If you google TJEd and this board, you'll find some old threads on it that contain interesting experiences and links.

Okay, I think I have my answer on Bluedorn. Hm, is it possible to change the topic title? Like to something about "If leaving CC but loved it in theory, where to next?" I can't seem to find much time to read right now and I have heard a LOT of suggestions that intrigue me, but I need to figure out what to do next year now that we're quitting. And I need to figure out if there's some way I can create a similar experience for DD (i.e., facilitated discussion group over a common content integrated with a Christian worldview). So what do I absolutely HAVE to read first, second, and third. I liked Wisdom and Eloquence quite a bit too. I think if no one persuades me otherwise, I'd get the Liberal Arts Tradition by Classical Academic Press, and it sounds like I need to buy some CS Lewis...

And I need to figure out if there's some way I can create a similar experience for DD (i.e., facilitated discussion group over a common content integrated with a Christian worldview). So what do I absolutely HAVE to read first, second, and third. I liked Wisdom and Eloquence quite a bit too. I think if no one persuades me otherwise, I'd get the Liberal Arts Tradition by Classical Academic Press, and it sounds like I need to buy some CS Lewis...

In your position and assuming you have the budget (since you were planning to pay for CC, I think that's reasonable) I'd start looking at online great books seminars. I think VP does online Omnibus classes. There are some Landry Academy classes that might work for you (check out their classical cycle English and history classes). The Potter's School has classes like this too. There are also great books tutorials taught by independent teaches like Escondido or Oxford or Artesian Wells. I'm sorry I can't tell you more than their names. I'm looking for secular or not too conservative Catholic classes, so what you're looking for is usually what I eliminate after a cursory look-see. What you want is out there, in fact there's a lot of options available if you can afford about $1000/year. Alternatively, you could try to start a discussion group using Omnibus if you can get enough local hsers interested. That would fit a much smaller budget.

Happy hunting!

The Liberal Arts Tradition is sold out on Amazon. Immediate satisfaction (and $8 off) if I buy Kindle, but will I regret not having a hard copy to underline/make margin notes...?

Maybe. I've written all over my copy.  It's fantastic. On the kindle, I'd underline a lot but my joy would be in sharing with my friends.

Oh, if that makes you twitch, there are some things in the book that might cause a seizure. ;)

I wouldn't really recommend it, myself. There are some good ideas mixed in with a lot of extremely conservative lifestyle advice and commentary, from what I remember. Though it's probably been five years since I read it.

Thomas Jefferson education was mentioned upthread. I wouldn't call this classical. If you google TJEd and this board, you'll find some old threads on it that contain interesting experiences and links.

A Thomas Jefferson Education uses some of the greatest works in the Western Canon from very modern day America all the way back to Classical Greece and Rome and everything in between.  That makes it a form of Classical Education.  It isn't the Trivium Classical Education Model, it's the Mentor Model, but it is Classical.

I would add Climbing Parnassus to the list. Read part 2 BEFORE part 1! A lot of people get bogged down in the introductory material of part one and never read the more practical advice in part 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Parnassus-Apologia-Greek-Latin/dp/1933859504

And the FIRST edition of Latin Centered Education.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/resource-books/latin-centered-curriculum

As for Bluedorn, I think it's an important contributon to the library of books available about classical education.There are large and untraconservative families trying to merge what they are reading in books like TWTM with what is being taught in their churches, and this book can be assitive. The What to Do Before Age 10 article is an oldschool classic that had been linked to for decades now, and this is the first time I've seen it dismissed as being of no value. I guess times are changing.

Back in the old days, we also used to read, The Devil Knows Latin and Quintilian. Composition in the Classical Tradition was THE Progymn book along with Quintilian.

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Knows-Latin-Classical-Tradition/dp/1882926579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393769416&sr=1-1&keywords=the+devil+knows+latin

http://www.amazon.com/Institutio-Oratoria-Books-Classical-Library/dp/0674991389

http://www.amazon.com/Composition-Classical-Tradition-Frank-DAngelo/dp/0023271418/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393769457&sr=1-1&keywords=composition+in+the+classical+tradition

Bluedorn's book was the first I read on classical education, and I agree with a lot of the other comments here. It can be helpful, but you have to wade through some assertion, like three chapters in the beginning on homeschooling in general, etc. As far as classical ed, TWTM is the most practical book I've read so far, and I refer to it often. Bluedorn's book won't help you more than TWTM as far as implementing Socratic discussions.

Where Bluedorn was helpful to me was in his description of the different types of education. I was having a hard time understanding what classical ed was, and he helped by making a distinction between the classical "method" and "model." I kept wondering where the classical math curriculum was, for example. But he said, you can see the trivium (the three stages) applied in subjects individually, and then as a model across the grades and subjects. So making that distinction helped.

Have you considered TOG? It was written out of a co-op experience and seems to really shine in a co-op/group situation. The teachers notes are designed to equip users to lead dialectic and rhetoric stage discussions.

I looked at the guide because a friend participated in a co-op locally that uses it. I loved the common content with scaling for different dialectic/rhetoric stages now that I think about it. But when I spoke to the director they were unwilling to be flexible about accelerating in subjects where we needed (math, especially). I also get the impression that it was a fairly rigid grade/stage structure as well (so if you were in x grade you were probably only doing ____ state work/discussion). Also I got a sense of a high level of busy work. I don't know how much of all that was due to the co-op's implementation, though. But you've given me some food for thought about using a portion of it adapted for our own purposes.

This thread has me looking further into this subject. I am currently listening to: 

How Do We Teach the Integration of All Subjects?
by Panel Discussions
6/23/2012
from the Association of Classical and Christian Schools. First two speakers on the panel were very theoretical. I really liked the third person (~27 mins). Now they are heading into practical applications. I know it is geared toward teachers, but it has been interesting. Curious to hear the practical app now.

http://www.accsedu.org/conferences/conference_recordings_player_and_archive

Tapestry of Grace has:

1. Online discussion as a paid class starting at age 12 by Aug 1st.
  2. Parent run virtual online coops with discussions.
  3. Parent run local co-ops and Fellowship Groups. Some of these have Dialectic level discussion.
  4. Parent guided discussions from the teachers guide that overlap, history, literature, government, philosophy, and church history.
Placement Guidelines

Filling online classes is challenging for the registrar. We seek to populate our classes with students who can work at similar learning levels and who are interested in studying the course materials. Therefore we have developed the following guidelines for our courses:

• Dialectic courses are open to students ages 12Ă¢â‚¬â€œ14 as of August 1st.
  • Rhetoric History, Church History, and Government courses are open to students age 14 and above as of August 1st.
  • Rhetoric Literature-Lite courses are open to students age 14 and above as of August 1st.
  • Rhetoric Literature courses are open to students age 15 and above as of August 1st. Prerequisite: One year of beginning level Rhetoric Literature or a Rhetoric Literature-Lite class taken through the LLC.

We understand that students are at different academic and maturity levels. If you would like an exception to the enrollment guidelines stated above please contact LLC with the reason for your request. You will be contacted with a request for the following:

1. A written recommendation from a former or current academic teacher who can attest to the student's ability to participate in a rigorous academic setting.
  2. Two of the following:
    • Book list from the previous academic year
    • Transcript
    • An essay from the previous academic year

You will be notified of our decision within two weeks of your request.

I am an advisor with TOG as well as a parent using TOG with my own 10, 12, and 14 year olds. Feel free to PM me specific questions.

I don't know if there is any way to have a Socratic type of integrated-subject discussion other than to form your own local group or find an online class (perhaps through something like Memoria Press that offers a full curriculum). We have found a couple of families who don't at all follow the same eclectic path we do, but whom nonetheless have a similar base of information to discuss and build on. My admittedly young kids have some pretty crazy discussions on their own and with these friends. I don't usually even try to keep up.

While I was hoping for some kind of prefab support system/setup, I think that this is probably what I will have to pursue. When I went back and reread this, I think that if you find a like-minded group of moms (families) you are more likely to have the "similar base of information" and so I'm thinking that my first step might be to try and initiate a moms' discussion group with other classically-minded parents, hopefully with a book study - I feel like I have so much to read, learn, and process!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was talked out of trying to read Bluedorn (I just finished TWTM. Yes, all of it), and I was about to give it away, but I decided to flip through it before I did so (I got it free so I hadn't flipped through it yet). I saw some things that piqued my interest and decided to at least try it. 

I don't think I can do it, due to the writing style. 

OMG 

"hippy-dippy"?

"won't burn the little tykes brains out"?

"won't turn the little lads' and lassies' brains into cornmeal mush"?

If there's some real gems in there, I am willing to push through. But I get the impression that you have to take the good with the bad with this....

Maybe if you think there are some "absolutely don't-miss" chaptersn *and I can try to set aside my compulsive-must-read-it-all (Although I skipped the theoretical and "why homeschool" sections which was like the first half of the book. I started with chapter 10)?

• 3 weeks later...

*twitch*

A old friend of mine heavily recommended the Bluedorn's book to me as a very young mother and new homeschooler.  It made me so distraught that I didn't and couldn't live that type of lifestyle. It sounded so wholesome and convincing.  

I emailed Laurie Bluedorn to ask her what she recommends for those homeschooled children who do not live on a farm or any land at all and who, in fact live in a townhome.  How can they be productive in their first ten years?

Her answer? 

That UNTIL WE DO FIND A WAY TO MOVE TO THE COUNTRY, we could perhaps engage in more handicrafts.

She literally assumed that we must follow her advice and spoke as if we would someday move. She was so sure that we should, that she said, "Until you are able to move..."  

I abhor this way of thinking.  Assuming that God cannot allow His flowers to bloom where He plants them is highly ridiculous and a terrible burden to place on young mothers whose husbands have no desire or aspiration to move to the country and plant gardens and repair tractors.  

Obviously, one should not blindly follow the world into everything they are doing.  As a Christian, or not as a Christian, that is a good rule to follow!  But, one should consistently evaluate the health and well being of the individual child and the family as a whole, and make careful wise decisions year by year.  This will OFTEN mean not "going with the flow," of course.  But not ALWAYS!  We live in Suburbia, my kids swim on a swim team, and my husband will never move to a farm....as far as we know of course.  I hope and pray that we can produce effective citizens for our country and the world without the farm.

And I'm sorry but several of my female best friends are engineers, Scientists, and Mathematicians that would blow the Bluedorn boys out of the water.  

I emailed Laurie Bluedorn to ask her what she recommends for those homeschooled children who do not live on a farm or any land at all and who, in fact live in a townhome.  How can they be productive in their first ten years?

Her answer? 

That UNTIL WE DO FIND A WAY TO MOVE TO THE COUNTRY, we could perhaps engage in more handicrafts.

She literally assumed that we must follow her advice and spoke as if we would someday move. She was so sure that we should, that she said, "Until you are able to move..."  

I used to really love TTT and recommended it to everyone I knew.  I have since learned that they write from a very Libertarian perspective... both politically and theologically.  I no longer recommend this book to anyone.

I abhor this way of thinking.  Assuming that God cannot allow His flowers to bloom where He plants them is highly ridiculous and a terrible burden to place on young mothers whose husbands have no desire or aspiration to move to the country and plant gardens and repair tractors.  

Obviously, one should not blindly follow the world into everything they are doing.  As a Christian, or not as a Christian, that is a good rule to follow!  But, one should consistently evaluate the health and well being of the individual child and the family as a whole, and make careful wise decisions year by year.  This will OFTEN mean not "going with the flow," of course.  But not ALWAYS!  We live in Suburbia, my kids swim on a swim team, and my husband will never move to a farm....as far as we know of course.  I hope and pray that we can produce effective citizens for our country and the world without the farm.

And I'm sorry but several of my female best friends are engineers, Scientists, and Mathematicians that would blow the Bluedorn boys out of the water.  

Yes, it bugged me too, and I live "out" a bit with a garden and a tractor (a small one). Thankfully when mine where in early grade school I decided just to be who I am and ignore the rest. And alas, I'm a STEM professor, and have always worked while homeschooling. Such a renegade I am...