Menu

More natural homemade laundry soap?

PentecostalMom

I see many recipes for homemade laundry soap that are made with Borax, Fels Naptha, and other ingredients.  I would like something a little more natural.  My 7yo has super sensitive skin and while I can purchase things at the store, they are usually cost prohibitive.  Are there any homemade solutions that also actually clean clothes and stains and don't leave build-up or residue?

I've been really happy with the recipe from ICanTeachMyChild which has the ones you mentioned.  

I have always had super-sensitive skin.  My focus was always to get all the soap residue out.  When I had a top-loader washer,  I started the washer without clothes or soap in it.  I would add the soap once the bottom was covered.  Then I would leave the lid open (so that it wouldn't drain) and set the load size to small.  Then I would load the clothes once the laundry detergent seemed to be mixed in very well. While I was loading clothes I would change the size setting to Large, and close the lid.  When that cycle was done, I always washed a second time using no soap.  The first time you do a second load, leave the lid up and see how much suds you get.  

That method is very simplified with a front loader.  I load a normal amount of soap for pre-washing, and a tish of soap for the regular wash cycle.  Then I push the extra rinse button.  

You could also look at Charlie's Soap to see if it's a product you could buy and have it work.  It has all the stuff (fragrance, etc.) pulled out and is supposed to be pretty natural.  It's what I use, and I used to be extremely chemically sensitive.

They give the ingredients at this link.

Natural laundry detergent powder: safe, non-toxic ... - Charlie's Soap

You could also look at Charlie's Soap to see if it's a product you could buy and have it work.  It has all the stuff (fragrance, etc.) pulled out and is supposed to be pretty natural.  It's what I use, and I used to be extremely chemically sensitive.

I know that is supposed to be great but my family all had reactions to it.  

You can use Kirk's castile soap in place of the other bar soap.   

Who has actually *used* one of these more natural alternatives to Fels Naptha IN homemade laundry detergent?  I feel like we're getting suggestions that may or may not be from experience... lol  I have a dd with very sensitive skin, too, and was going to try the homemade detergent, but would like to know what WORKS before wasting my money.

Sensitive skin here.....Our homemade laundry soap is Kirk's castile soap, baking soda and washing soda. I have been using it for 4 months now and it works good and DS hasn't had any issues with it. Since we have a HE washer and a water softener, I mix the soap in a cup of really hot water before I pour it over our clothes. 

That's what we use too.  I found it to be far more effective than anything homemade and NO ONE in my family reacts to it. 

YMMV....

Sensitive skin here.....Our homemade laundry soap is Kirk's castile soap, baking soda and washing soda. I have been using it for 4 months now and it works good and DS hasn't had any issues with it. Since we have a HE washer and a water softener, I mix the soap in a cup of really hot water before I pour it over our clothes. 

Can you post proportions, or a recipe?  TIA