Menu

Share your stinky feet remedies, please!!!

Tiramisu

Stink is caused by bacterial waste, according to Dr Oz. I saw a bit of a show in this, and he said that this is mostly a matter of reducing bacterial colonies on your body. There will always be some, but recommendations were about hygiene and drying well, and exposing to air.

She's usually barefoot, so exposing to air isn't such a problem. 

I guess these comments are making me realize, it we can conquer the shoe stink we can conquer the foot stink.

Stink is caused by bacterial waste, according to Dr Oz. I saw a bit of a show in this, and he said that this is mostly a matter of reducing bacterial colonies on your body.

Yes. As with underarms. Dh swears by antiperspirant deodorant on the feet, which makes sense in light of the above.

Leather shoes.

Cotton socks (I realize that may not work for you).

Bare feet - keep them as dry as possible.

Strategically choose what time of day the feet get washed (for family peace).  :)

Before bed the offending feet were soaked in a basin of water with a capful of Listerine. It did not completely help.

I think I need ideas for post-shoe stinky feet remediation since I do not expect the sock issue to be corrected until puberty. 

Yup, that is the problem.  My son went some time not wearing socks with his shoes and his feet reeked.  So my rule now is he must wear socks with shoes.  And once you get that stench in the shoes, forget it, you will never get it out.  He was not thrilled, but gee who wants to smell that?  And it essentially ruined his shoes because they stunk.

A compromise is when it's warm to wear flip flops and sandals.  That way you have the freedom to not wear socks.

We don't have this problem when the weather is warm. But lately it's been in the 20's so it's been kinda tough.

Before bed the offending feet were soaked in a basin of water with a capful of Listerine. It did not completely help.

I think I need ideas for post-shoe stinky feet remediation since I do not expect the sock issue to be corrected until puberty. 

How about washing the feet shortly before the family time you are hoping to improve?

Upon waking, or before family TV time?

How about washing the feet shortly before the family time you are hoping to improve?

Upon waking, or before family TV time?

I need an effective washing aid. I try to stay away from the antibacterial soap but maybe that's what we need.

I did contemplate a few drops of bleach in the water since you can do that for staph infections, but I'm afraid of a bad reaction. 

Drop your thyroid so your feet are constantly cold and don't sweat or smell.

Drop the temperature in the house so everyone is so cold their feet don't sweat or smell.

Oh, guess that's not what you want, but they do work.   :lol:   My dd used to have smelly feet.  As one guy told her, she's HOT.  :D  Actually, I haven't a clue what changed it.  Oh, part of the problem was she was wearing shoes without socks, meaning there was nothing to catch the sweat.  That definitely helped.  

If your feet actually smell bed (beyond normal happy sweaty foot smell), I'd think gut or something internal.  Eat more salad, take garlic daily.

Oh, just read through the rest and realized you addressed the sock issue.  Yeah, that's what dd was doing, no socks.  Do you know *why* she's (or he) is refusing socks?  Is it the seams?  The size?  Once a woman hits a certain size, she really needs to switch over to larger socks.  Regular can be unbearable.  Also, you have the seams.  Have they tried fleece socks?  There's an expensive brand I found in a department store only at Christmas that are awesome.  No seams, nothing to aggravate, and stretchy enough not to bind.  Walmart fleece socks won't work.  You can feel the lines, ugh.  I wear socks meant for larger sizes (9-11).  They're harder to find, but they help too.  I have some older Hanes Premium I really like, but the packs I just got are almost unwearable.  Some days I can, and some days I can't.  They're thinner, not as thick, and the seams slide.

Will she wear any kind of something on her feet at all to protect them?  If she's low tone, she may develop fallen arches by not wearing ANYTHING on her feet.  Dd refuses in the house, ugh.  Anyways, might be worth investing in a variety of kinds, trying them on first of course.  Shoes are really hard to fit for a person with sensory issues.  I always wondered why shoes were uncomfortable, until I got my feet fitted at a high end running place.  Turns out I was wearing, well let's just say I was wearing the wrong size.  I had been wearing 9s, and the put me in a 10 1/2!!!!!!!!   :lol:   You can't even buy those in most stores, lol.  I put them on with the inserts they picked, and I can wear them all day.  So it might be some magic like that would help.

When I was in college, girls with smelly feet put powder in their shoes at night.  No clue what it was.  (baby or antibacterial or)  There's a foot soak recipe you can make using instructions online to spoof the foot soak packets you get at Walmart.  You might try them.  They're in the pharmacy section and maybe a $1 for a packet of foot soak.  The soak has epsom salts to draw yuck out and iodine and all sorts of things.  Epsom salts are commonly used to draw things out, and iodine of course will kill stuff.  I make my own now.  I can dig out the recipe if you want it.  Buying the packet would be just as easy.  I had stuff lying around, so we just mixed it all up in a jar.  

Adding: Now that I've found the recipe, I don't know why I was thinking epsom salts.  They're fine to soak with, absolutely.  They'll draw out infections, etc.  You could throw it into the soak, or just put some epsom salts in her bath.

Hey, found it!  I had posted it in another thread...

Here's the foot soak recipe. 

3 tablespoons borax (you know, the stuff in the laundry aisle, 40 Mule)
1 drop iodide (get in the pharmacy section)
2 tablespoons wheat bran (this has good vitamins, helps heal your feet)
1 tablespoon baking soda

Put all this in a dishpan and fill with hot water. Insert feet. It will tingle, but that will stop. Makes your feet really soft, so you can scrub and exfoliate them with a pumice stone.

I patterned my recipe off the label of a foot soak product someone on the boards here had mentioned. That product is sold in packets you can buy on amazon, so you could try it that way too. I just happened to have had the stuff to do it myself, so it was just as easy. It think it was called Johnson's Foot Soak.

My shoes got stinky in 5th gradde because I wouldn't wear socks at the time. We started spraying the inside of my shoes with Lysol occasionally and it helped a lot. Another idea, which I just thought of, would be to fill two socks with baking soda and leave them in the shoes at night to absorb the odor.

Dh did the Lysol thing to her shoes and I flipped out because I've heard it's a neurotoxin. It's a relief to know you've survived.  :laugh:

Baking soda is something I'd feel safer about.

Maybe hyrdogen peroxide would work? Or vodka? You need something to kill off the stinky bacteria. They are what makes the stink. Trust me...I cultured my feet and grew the bacteria as part of a science fair project once. What a mistake! The next time, I decided to culture my tongue or ear and that didn't stink.

There is a powder spray that you put inside stinky shoes called "Odor eaters" - i buy it from the pharmacy. I wipe the insides of the stinky shoes with a disinfectant wipe and then when it is dry, I spray Odor Eaters inside the shoes.

For the long run, I was told to reduce the intake of sugar of the person with the offending feet and to put them on a probiotic with lactobaccilli strain - this seems to have worked in our family because my can of Odor Eaters has not been used for a while, now :)

Oh, just read through the rest and realized you addressed the sock issue.  Yeah, that's what dd was doing, no socks.  Do you know *why* she's (or he) is refusing socks?  Is it the seams?  The size?  Once a woman hits a certain size, she really needs to switch over to larger socks.  Regular can be unbearable.  Also, you have the seams.  Have they tried fleece socks?  There's an expensive brand I found in a department store only at Christmas that are awesome.  No seams, nothing to aggravate, and stretchy enough not to bind.  Walmart fleece socks won't work.  You can feel the lines, ugh.  I wear socks meant for larger sizes (9-11).  They're harder to find, but they help too.  I have some older Hanes Premium I really like, but the packs I just got are almost unwearable.  Some days I can, and some days I can't.  They're thinner, not as thick, and the seams slide.

Because I went through this with her older sister, we've tried lots of socks. The ones that worked with her sister, do not work with her. Nothing has been very successful, even trimfit. It's a battle not usually worth fighting. In other words, major meltdowns that would interfere with our plans to go out. The compromise is no socks so we can have a life.  :huh:

I'm going to try out the soaks so our life will be pleasant when we get home, too. :)

Toenails and between the toes!

Ds has pitted keratolysis (absolutely not spelled correct!) and his feet can REEK! Gag inducing reek!

Here's what we do: foot scrub nightly with antibacterial soap. Nail brush with the same soap. Getting between the toes with the soap. All his shoes and socks get store brand foot powder (like gold bond's). And he changes socks at the first sign of moisture.

When his feet are bad, we wash at least 3x a day. He's also not allowed to wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row.

I know you have sock issues, but maybe if you do the above without the socks, it'll help.

I have an issue with one of my toenails and so e fungus. Vicks vapor rub is helping. Maybe it'll help you too. Put some on the offending feet after the nightly scrub down.

I've also read that foot odor is from the inside out, and diet can help...but there are a million opinions on what works. If my feet stink, it's because I don't take my probiotic, or I'm eating sugary junk. My grandmother swears by alfalfa pills for stinky feet. No socks is a big problem, but there are a lot of people who go sockless without such a big problem.

Another thread about natural deodorant mentioned milk of magnesia as being a good replacement for deodorant. I've used it for a week, and I love it!!! I also found out that magnesium is supposed to help body odor of all kind. So, maybe MoM or Epsom salts are worth a try. The Epsom salts are also calming, so that may have side benefits with SPD.

I also use a detox deodorant that is available in a foot rub as well (I haven't used the rub). Herbalix is the company that makes it. You use it at night when your body is naturally eliminating waste products. It can increase odor for a couple of days as you detox, but then it really cuts down quickly, and body odor is much better overall. You can order from the company or on Amazon.

I used to be an Army medic. I've seen a lot of stinky feet! You need to kill off the bacteria or fungus (I can't tell which it is without smelling them -gross, I know! but one of my special skills;-)). Ti tree oil is the best option. Soak the feet in hot water with ti tree oil in it (add it to that nice looking soak above but leave the wheat bran out - it'll feed the beasties). Scrub the dead skin off so the bugs have fewer places to hide, dry the feet well (blast them with the hair dryer or fan if you have to), and clean out the goop under the nails. Then mix some ti tree oil into a carrier cream like sorbolene and slather it on. If she won't do that, mix some ti tree oil into bicarbonate soda and dust her feet. Do this daily. Round up all the socks and wash them in very hot water. Line dry in the sun. If you can wash her shoes in the washing machine, go for it. If any shoes are really feral, chuck them. Put the rest in the sun and/or wipe them out with ti tree oil. Buy those little socks that you can't see when you have shoes on and make wearing them compulsory (with a bit of luck she'll think the above treatment is such a palaver that she'll get the message). Get her to drink more so dehydration isn't a factor. Make sure her nails don't have fungal infections on them - if they do, they'll look cheesy. Put neat ti tree oil on them till they regrow into normal nails.

Ahhh, the joys of teenagers!

D

I've used a couple of the commericial shoe powders and they do help. The only really good food treatment was "Freemans bayberry foot scrub" (something like that) we can't get it in NZ any more but it was imported from the US so maybe you can. Maybe hand sanitizer would help.

I used to be an Army medic. I've seen a lot of stinky feet! You need to kill off the bacteria or fungus (I can't tell which it is without smelling them -gross, I know! but one of my special skills;-)). Ti tree oil is the best option. Soak the feet in hot water with ti tree oil in it (add it to that nice looking soak above but leave the wheat bran out - it'll feed the beasties). Scrub the dead skin off so the bugs have fewer places to hide, dry the feet well (blast them with the hair dryer or fan if you have to), and clean out the goop under the nails. Then mix some ti tree oil into a carrier cream like sorbolene and slather it on. If she won't do that, mix some ti tree oil into bicarbonate soda and dust her feet. Do this daily. Round up all the socks and wash them in very hot water. Line dry in the sun. If you can wash her shoes in the washing machine, go for it. If any shoes are really feral, chuck them. Put the rest in the sun and/or wipe them out with ti tree oil. Buy those little socks that you can't see when you have shoes on and make wearing them compulsory (with a bit of luck she'll think the above treatment is such a palaver that she'll get the message). Get her to drink more so dehydration isn't a factor. Make sure her nails don't have fungal infections on them - if they do, they'll look cheesy. Put neat ti tree oil on them till they regrow into normal nails.

Ahhh, the joys of teenagers!

D

My mother told me this worked for her, except I think she added lavender oil to the water, too.  She said it was great, and she just needed to re-do it every month or so.