Menu

Favorite Shirley Temple Film?

umsami

Very sad about her death.  My Mom was a ballerina, but also studied tap early on, so I watched a bunch of her films.  Loved the ones she did with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  Might make a good topic during Black history month for some.

Loved her version of "A Little Princess" and  the "Bachelor and the Bobby Sox".  Sigh.  Cary Grant.

RIP. 

I agree, RIP. She brought so much joy to the lives of many as a little girl, and I have heard she made a fine ambassador.

I loved her pictures, with one exception--A Little Princess was a travesty! Terrible adaptation of the book!!!!

(Well, I did like the picture itself. If I hadn't read the book and if it wasn't my favorite children's book of all time, I wouldn't have said the above. ;) :D )

See, I saw the movie before I read the book….and it made me want to read the book.  Completely different, but I loved them for different reasons. :)

It gave me a good lesson early on, rarely do films from books measure up to the books, but you can enjoy them on their own terms. 

See, I saw the movie before I read the book….and it made me want to read the book.  Completely different, but I loved them for different reasons. :)

It took me a good lesson early on, rarely do films from books measure up to the books, but you can enjoy them on their own terms. 

(bold mine)

Yes, I totally agree with you!!

I remember one TV station I watched while growing up ran a spate of ST films--one every Sunday for quite a while. It was my favorite to watch! She was darling, wholesome, funny, and looked like she'd be fun to play with.

Very sad about her death.  My Mom was a ballerina, but also studied tap early on, so I watched a bunch of her films.  Loved the ones she did with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  Might make a good topic during Black history month for some.

Loved her version of "A Little Princess" and  the "Bachelor and the Bobby Sox".  Sigh.  Cary Grant.

RIP. 

She was apparently always very proud that she was a member of the first integrated dancing couple in Hollywood :)

I watched one of her movies not too long ago that had a dance number with her, Bojangles Robinson, the young couple in love that the movie was about, and then another couple, and it was interesting to watch the choreography, because they were very very careful to make sure that Robinson didn't even appear dancing in the same frame as one of the white adult women.

The Little Princess was my favorite. I also liked when she sang about animal crackers in her soup, but I can't remember which movie she sang that song (or the song name).

Weird question…I wonder if animal crackers were less sweet back then? Today I think of them strictly as a cookie, and I can't imagine having them with soup. 

Stowaway.  :)  My mother was her same age, born the same month.  She and her mother would ride the bus downtown to see her movies.  I think it's neat that she was eventually able to evolve from childhood stardom and into the field of diplomacy, and seemed to have a pretty good head on her shoulders.

Of the ones I've seen with my kids, my favorite is The Little Rebel.

The Little Princess was a disappointment because it was so different from the book.  I explained to my kids that Hollywood took a lot of poetic license in those days.  ;)  I was not a fan of Heidi, either.

I haven't seen most of her films since I was a kid.  Don't know why, but when I went looking to buy some, I couldn't find a good collection.  Maybe I should try again.

I was so sad to see the news this morning.  :crying: My favorite is The Little Colonel, but I also love Bright Eyes (this is the one with The Good Ship Lollipop song) because she is perfect as the sweet little child and Jane Withers is perfect as the little brat.  The scenes with the girls together are so fun.

I told my family that I might need a personal day today so I could watch her movies, but we have too much school to get through. 

Cindy

PS To a pp the movie with the Animal Crackers song is Curly Top. 

PPS To another pp I wonder about the crackers being something different than our animal crackers today also because the cookies just sound terrible in soup. :huh:

Weird question…I wonder if animal crackers were less sweet back then? Today I think of them strictly as a cookie, and I can't imagine having them with soup.

I have wondered this also. I always sing the song to my children when they eat animal crackers, and we all agree that it sounds yucky. Now that I know the name of the movie, I will have to find it for my kids to see.

I too remember watching Shirley Temple on Sunday mornings when I was too sick for church. I got sick a lot. I loved The Little Princess! I remember watching it when I was five or six. I still want to watch it when I am sick. It always made me feel warm and happy. Shirley Temple was a treasure.