Menu

Kitchen splashbacks - not tiled. Experience?

Laura Corin

Ikea has panels that come in a stainless steel that would compliment those cabinets nicely

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206261/

I went through a huge ordeal trying to find red glass tiles I liked a few years ago. I actually made my own instead.

Here's a post from my old (gave it up!) blog about how I made them. I mixed them with stone but I also made green ones as a one row topper for wainscoting in my kids' bathroom too.

http://craftbakedomesticate.blogspot.com/2011/01/custom-made-glass-tile-backsplash.html

This is the first time I've lived in a house where the kitchen backsplash is tiled. The others had a couple of inches of counter-top material for the backsplash, and it was just wall above. I wallpapered up to the cabinets with the same wallpaper I had in the rest of the kitchen/dining area. :-)

The kitchen in this house has tile (cheap white laminate for the counters. blech). I've never had to clean the grout. I'll probably stay with tile because I like the look.

We have panels that are made to look like antique tin. There are minimal seams. They are made out of plastic. Practically nothing sticks to them and you just wipe them down. You can't put them behind ranges/stoves/ovens. So for behind the oven we have a sheet of stainless steal.

I like them.

Oh, I like that, but can you put them behind sinks?

We have panels that are made to look like antique tin. There are minimal seams. They are made out of plastic. Practically nothing sticks to them and you just wipe them down. You can't put them behind ranges/stoves/ovens. So for behind the oven we have a sheet of stainless steal.

I like them.

We have the same thing behind the sink. It is very to clean. I have more to install around the rest of the kitchen. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

It looks like the backsplash in that picture with the example cabinets is back painted tempered glass.  I love that look, but it is $$$$$$$$$.  I really, really, really wanted to use it when we had to redo our backsplash, but it just wasn't in the budget.  I've never heard anything bad about it, except for the price.

We have the same thing behind the sink. It is very to clean. I have more to install around the rest of the kitchen. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Yep!

They can't stand super high heat, but otherwise you can put them anywhere. 

We have them behind our sink.

I'm eyeing the panels from Ikea. Since they are panels rather than one straight piece across, how do I prevent water from seeping through the seams behind the sink? How would I seal it (or not?)?

I'm eyeing the panels from Ikea. Since they are panels rather than one straight piece across, how do I prevent water from seeping through the seams behind the sink? How would I seal it (or not?)?

I stood and looked at the Ikea panels yesterday and they looked really cheap and flimsy.  The ones I saw had a strip of skimpy aluminium (or something) that slid on to join the panels.  It looked like a grime trap as well as not being waterproof.  The Ikea kitchen designer that I talked to made a face when I mentioned them and said, 'Maybe if you were doing a kitchen for students....'

Thanks

L

Best ways to get a hard-surface backsplash would be a solid surface (it doesn't have to match your counters exactly) marble, granite or composite material.  You can also use a large tile (tiles come in 18" widths, which require really teeny grout lines...like 1/16), glass (tempered behind the stove), or combine stainless behind the stove with another material.  Granite, Marble and Tile/grout) would all need to be sealed regularly (1-2x a year), Glass is easy to maintain (you can paint the back side of the glass...which will change the color scheme), but wouldn't suggest stainless throughout a kitchen (unless it's as small as my 8' galley in this hotel).

Have fun :D

(For myself, we'll be doing tile again).

Lisa

I'm wondering what everyone is doing that they need so much waterproofing. I don't have any backsplash at all. When we moved in there was this awful wallpaper that I removed. I just painted until I could figure out a backsplash. It's been ten years and I still haven't gotten around to doing one. I WANT to. It would LOOK better, but I don't see the necessity from a waterproofing point of view.

I'm a messy cook, and have to wipe down the occasional sauce splatter, but it cleans right off. I don't really splash a lot of water on the walls and have a hard time imagining what people are doing that tile and grout are necessary to prevent water damage.

I'm wondering what everyone is doing that they need so much waterproofing. I don't have any backsplash at all. When we moved in there was this awful wallpaper that I removed. I just painted until I could figure out a backsplash. It's been ten years and I still haven't gotten around to doing one. I WANT to. It would LOOK better, but I don't see the necessity from a waterproofing point of view.

I'm a messy cook, and have to wipe down the occasional sauce splatter, but it cleans right off. I don't really splash a lot of water on the walls and have a hard time imagining what people are doing that tile and grout are necessary to prevent water damage.

If you have at least that 2-3" tall piece of material rising up from the counter, that will prevent most damage, both to the wall board and the base cabinets from spills and doing dishes.  The backsplash also helps hide cabinet/countertop/dry wall imperfections. Anything you cook on the stove through evaporation gets around and behind your stove, and unless you have a higher grade of paint, will be absorbed by the dry wall, too...bacon grease steam  gets everywhere. ;)

Most other areas of your wall are unlikely to see much more than cake/cookie/frosting spatter...unless your 9yo makes a smoothie without first putting the lid on...or other random kitchen incidents. However...splatters that are missed in clear up will dry like glue and may take the paint and dry wall paper with them in protest to your latent efforts to remove them.

And...My stone tile backsplash is just so darn pretty to look at!

I have a tile back splash over the stove and wanted to keep it nice (it was a newly built house), so I went to Lowe's and bought some plexiglass.

I measured, cut pieces to fit (I have two pieces that sit side by side with about a 1 inch overlap in the middle, propped them up against the tile using stacks of magnets under the microwave to 'brace' them in place, and voila ~ I have a 'cover' for the tiles that I can just wipe down. I figured if I wanted to host a party and wanted to remove it, I would just take it down. In nine years, though, I haven't done it, and have hosted several get-togethers. No one has ever noticed it. They wipe down easily (yes, they get splattered!) and my pretty back splash looks new.

I like tile back splashes. I had paint in my other house and bought one of those pre-cut aluminum back splashes that nail to the wall. Easy to clean, but b.o.r.i.n.g. I will have tile in any future house, if I can!

I am planning to repaint the wall over the sink in my laundry and put another piece of plexiglass up. The flat paint is all streaked from water splashes. :glare:

If you go the plexiglass route, be careful while cutting!! The edges are like glass if you don't score well enough before snapping them and they don't break clean (ask me how I know!).

In our case, it's partly that tiles have to be ripped off the wall anyway as part of the redo, so either the wall has to be very nicely replastered and painted, or we have to put something else up.  Some kind of backsplash  seems traditional here too, and we are thinking about resale.  We will actually have a 2" upstand at the back of the counter top, so we just need something for above that.  I do find that the wall behind the sink gets wet, and the backsplash behind the current cooker gets very greasy.

It's a good thought actually - maybe we only need backsplash in the areas where the sink and cooker are, and not where the 'peninsula' abuts the wall.  Hmmm....

L

We have about 3 1/2" of stainless steel that extends up the wall from the counters (which are also SS).  The stove itself has a SS hood/wall covering, so all areas where things would splash have SS.  Above the extensions it is regular painted wall that matches the rest of the room.  There aren't stains on it from the previous owners, and we haven't had any problems with splashing or staining either.  It looks nice - a bit industrial, but fresh.

Maybe mine is great because it was 10yo when I got it, but I don't have to baby it at all.  It looks pretty good, too.  It is all scuffed everywhere (maybe you call that "brushed" stainless?), and I just clean it with whatever I have, but have to make sure I wipe it dry or it looks like I didn't.  I do have stainless steel cleaner, but I only use that occassionally.