Menu

An Oldie But A Newbie

Chocomom63

I just wanted to say HI and to say that I'm new here, but not new to homeschooling. I am also an old mom - as my kiddos like to remind me. Often.

I have been homeschooling for almost 20 years (I have graduated 3 already - almost 4), but (and this is the reason for joining) it is going to be ending soon I think.  I have had the sense for about a year now that some of my kids really do not like homeschooling anymore and want to go to public school.  I outright asked my two older children (13 and 14 respectively) how they felt about it (going to ps) and my dd's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.  I think it's time to test out those waters. 

To say my heart sank would be an understatement.  The last six years have been ones of a lot of blood, sweat, and tears for my family and I've grown a lot because of it.  It seems that I am being asked to grow a little more.  And I think it's time.  Right now though all I feel is sad and kind of in shock. Also feeling that I really didn't do as well as I thought I had.   I know that isn't correct, but it's how I feel.  Actually, it's a jumble of feelings that I can't quite sort out. . 

So, I would like to ask for your support and wisdom as I approach this possibly (but most likely) new time in my life.  I know this sounds kind of formal and maybe TMI right off the bat, but I just wanted to have an introduction of sorts and not just jump in with a million questions.   I also know this is a forum for homeschooling parents, but I need help making this time of change (upheaval) and I thought this might be the place to find that help.  I'll still be homeschooling my two younger girls for at least the next year, but maybe put them in middle school in the fall of 2015 so I won't be totally of the loop.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to getting to know you.   

Hi there!

When DS(now 18!) hit 9th grade, he really wanted to go to public high school.  It was a tough transition for me as I was really used to the pattern of our days - homeschooling was what we "did"!    Well, he went and it was ok.   He is back at home again for his senior year using a charter school.  We have all enjoyed going back to the "homeschool routine" and the slower pace. 

I think the jump into high school is a natural sort of transition point - especially if you are in an area that is all-or-nothing for public high school.  I know it helped me with DS's transition to have DD12 still homeschooling - something to do, something to keep me busy.  I don't see her wanting to go to regular high school, though she might want to take a class or two there.  But with two in college and DS18 headed off in the fall, our lives are changing to be less kid-focused.  

And - now that I've gotten used to it -- I think it will be just fine.

And I think it's time.  Right now though all I feel is sad and kind of in shock. Also feeling that I really didn't do as well as I thought I had.   I know that isn't correct, but it's how I feel.  Actually, it's a jumble of feelings that I can't quite sort out. .    

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My sister sent all of her children to public school this year because she felt like it was time for a variety of reasons. If I wasn't certain that you couldn't be her (since her kids are already there, and she doesn't like chocolate! :D ) I'd wonder, because she expressed similar feelings. She was a good teacher, and her children were learning well and her older children well-prepared to move out into the world once they completed their homeschool studies.

If it's any consolation, her children who entered public school are thriving, felt well prepared for their new schools, and seem to appreciate the solid teaching and home life that homeschooling provided as a base for the new adventure.

Welcome to the boards! :)

Cat

My youngest started public school last year as a freshman. She says it's a lot better than homeschooling. That hurt me. However, she is doing excellent and feels good about herself. She was totally prepared for school and knew how to study more than some of her friends. She even tutors a friend in her math class. It was definitely the right decision for her. I only have my 17 yr. old son at home now and it's rough. High school is a lot harder than it was when I was in school, or maybe I just used to be smarter. :)

Welcome!

I graduated my oldest, but then my next decided to go to an arts highschool for 11th grade. My two next kids have their eyes on the arts school, too- so my end is coming, too.  I think the general feeling here is that we do what is best for each family/and/or our family.  Wishing you a great year, stick around, this is a nice place :)

Yet another BDTD mom here.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a Beach High grad who started community college and moved in with her grandmother at fifteen, a PS grad who moved in with his father at fifteen, and a kindergartener.

I hope you stick around and get the support that you deserve. You are not a failure, you are an incredibly valuable resource to those who are just starting out.

Well done. I wish I could give you a gold watch to show my respect and best wishes for a happy and productive retirement.

Welcome, Chocomom.  I haven't btdt with that particular situation but I know that many others have.  I can't give you any wisdom but you have my support!   :grouphug:

Thanks Jean!  Support is much needed right now!

Hi there!

When DS(now 18!) hit 9th grade, he really wanted to go to public high school.  It was a tough transition for me as I was really used to the pattern of our days - homeschooling was what we "did"!    Well, he went and it was ok.   He is back at home again for his senior year using a charter school.  We have all enjoyed going back to the "homeschool routine" and the slower pace. 

I think the jump into high school is a natural sort of transition point - especially if you are in an area that is all-or-nothing for public high school.  I know it helped me with DS's transition to have DD12 still homeschooling - something to do, something to keep me busy.  I don't see her wanting to go to regular high school, though she might want to take a class or two there.  But with two in college and DS18 headed off in the fall, our lives are changing to be less kid-focused.  

And - now that I've gotten used to it -- I think it will be just fine.

I can relate so much to your feelings! After so long it really is our life and I've put so much time into it. But I'm starting to stretch my wings a little too now that my kids are older.  Still feeling like a fish out of water sometimes though.

I talked with son #3 today and he thinks it's too late for my 14 yo ds to go to school after not ever having been.  I told him that plenty of kids do fine.  I think my daughter thought I was going to drive her to school right away - when I told her that I was going to have her finish her current math book and move on to Key to Fractions she told me "no".  This is the way it's been for a couple of years now and I'm getting battle weary.  I need to point out to her though that it won't be until August when she goes. :-)

Welcome!

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My sister sent all of her children to public school this year because she felt like it was time for a variety of reasons. If I wasn't certain that you couldn't be her (since her kids are already there, and she doesn't like chocolate! :D ) I'd wonder, because she expressed similar feelings. She was a good teacher, and her children were learning well and her older children well-prepared to move out into the world once they completed their homeschool studies.

If it's any consolation, her children who entered public school are thriving, felt well prepared for their new schools, and seem to appreciate the solid teaching and home life that homeschooling provided as a base for the new adventure.

Welcome to the boards! :)

Cat

Thank you for the welcome and sharing your sister's experience.  I'm not as convinced that my kids are well prepared - in some areas yes, but not in others.  I feel like there is going to be a lot I still need to do.  BTW - definitely not your sister since I'm basically a chocoholic...and ditto for coffee. :-)

My youngest started public school last year as a freshman. She says it's a lot better than homeschooling. That hurt me. However, she is doing excellent and feels good about herself. She was totally prepared for school and knew how to study more than some of her friends. She even tutors a friend in her math class. It was definitely the right decision for her. I only have my 17 yr. old son at home now and it's rough. High school is a lot harder than it was when I was in school, or maybe I just used to be smarter. :)

I've never felt I've done well with high school so in a way I'm kind of ready to let my older two go.  I think school is just different now - so much has changed since I went.  Some of it not great, but I think better in other ways.  I was really bored in high school and I have learned so much more homeschooling my kids! Thanks for sharing your experience - glad that all is going well.

Welcome to the forum -- you've come to the right place!!! :)

Thank you - I think so too. :-)

Welcome!

I graduated my oldest, but then my next decided to go to an arts highschool for 11th grade. My two next kids have their eyes on the arts school, too- so my end is coming, too.  I think the general feeling here is that we do what is best for each family/and/or our family.  Wishing you a great year, stick around, this is a nice place :)

That's always how I've felt too - that we do what is best no matter where our kids go to school.  There is no one right way.  Thanks for your good wishes - I need them!

Yet another BDTD mom here.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a Beach High grad who started community college and moved in with her grandmother at fifteen, a PS grad who moved in with his father at fifteen, and a kindergartener.

I hope you stick around and get the support that you deserve. You are not a failure, you are an incredibly valuable resource to those who are just starting out.

Well done. I wish I could give you a gold watch to show my respect and best wishes for a happy and productive retirement.

Thank you so much for your kind words!  I will indeed be sticking around.  Not quite retiring yet though - I have two 10 year olds who'll be sticking with me at least another year. 

Welcome to the boards.  I put my youngest 2 into school after 19 yrs homeschooling.  I also had an older one go to school at 12 because she had needs I couldn't meet at home (it was a great decision for her, btw).

One of the younger 2 also told me she thought private school was better than homeschooling.  Yeah, it hurt for sure, but I had to be honest with myself that the fire had gone out of my belly for homeschooling.  I wasn't giving my all anymore and the youngers got the short-shrift.  I miss having my kids around but I don't miss homeschooling - if that makes sense.   My kids are thriving in private and I think it was the right decision for our family.   I don't think of it as failing at homeschooling - it was just time to retire. I probably waited about 2 yrs too long for the younger ones (I still had one last homeschooling jr/sr at that time but he was happy doing independent and outside classes).

Good luck. 

Welcome!

Thank you!  

Welcome to the boards.  I put my youngest 2 into school after 19 yrs homeschooling.  I also had an older one go to school at 12 because she had needs I couldn't meet at home (it was a great decision for her, btw).

One of the younger 2 also told me she thought private school was better than homeschooling.  Yeah, it hurt for sure, but I had to be honest with myself that the fire had gone out of my belly for homeschooling.  I wasn't giving my all anymore and the youngers got the short-shrift.  I miss having my kids around but I don't miss homeschooling - if that makes sense.   My kids are thriving in private and I think it was the right decision for our family.   I don't think of it as failing at homeschooling - it was just time to retire. I probably waited about 2 yrs too long for the younger ones (I still had one last homeschooling jr/sr at that time but he was happy doing independent and outside classes).

Good luck. 

Thank you for sharing your experience.  Many of your feelings are mine - fire going out and all that.  I am giving as much as I can, and while I enjoy teaching, but the last couple of years I just feel wiped out with it. I've had some life balance issues for awhile and that is playing into it too.   BTW - I looked at your blog and I'm not quite where you are yet on my mothering journey.  No married kids yet - my oldest is content in his bachelorhood.  

Thanks again to all who commented and even if you just viewed and maybe prayed - I need it all right now!  I feel better now though and not as panicky - it won't be until August so there's lots of time to prepare myself.   As soon as I can put some questions and things on paper I'll be back to ask for some specifics.  Again - thank you!