Menu

Video like letter factory, but for math

abba12

DD1 loves the letter factory and it's sequels (word and storybook factory)

She wants to do school, loves the idea, but is struggling with counting. I think it's an issue with grasping the concept, because she can count 5 fingers fairly reliably and often 10, but can't count two horses, and she can count perfectly, 1,2,3,4 once, and then get confused and count 1,3,7,8 on the very same set of items two seconds later when asked to repeat it. I assume this is a normal stage, but she is bright in other areas and wants to be doing these things, so I am trying to find ways to teach it rather than just waiting for it to click.

I regularly use numbers and counting in our day, but she responded so well to the leap frog videos that I thought a couple of similar videos might help a lot. I am aware of math circus, but it's a bit further along than we are at. Any favorites?

There seems to be two sets of leapfrog videos, the letter factory and it's counterparts which seem older, and the ones on netflix, including the math ones mentioned, which seem newer. The netflix ones just don't seem to be as good a quality as the letter factory. Were they produced by different groups? My DD seems to lose interest in them much quicker.

Cyberchase, Leapfrog Math, Rock N Learn Math, Donald in Mathemagic Land

Other options: MUS Primer, Cusinaire Primer Download, Miquon without Worksheets, Mathseeds (Reading eggs for Math), Memoria Press Number Book, Annos Counting Book, M&M COunting Book, Cheerios COunting Book, Marshmallow Math Book

If you are wanting something catchy Choo-Choo Soul's Numbers is very catchy. I still sing it 2 years after the fact. Frequently. DH catches me doing so

How old is she? My kids really like Team UmiZoomi which is free on Amazon Prime streaming. The cover all kinds of math topic from patterns to counting and geometry to addition. It's not consistent counting practice but would be a fun supplement. It also comes on Nick so if you have cable you can catch it there.

My kids favorite is "Math Adventure to the Moon" of all the Leap Frog math DVDs. They are all really good though and will help with counting.

I'm so glad to hear this. I ordered the combo pack of math adventure and letter factory a few days ago. Hopefully they arrive soon. Everyone raves about letter factory but I've never heard much about math adventure.