Menu

DD wants to know: why convert fractions to decimals

I'm having a hard time coming up with real world examples of when we would convert a fraction to a decimal. I think it's a great question, but I'm completely blank right now and a google search only tells me "how" to convert, which we already know!

Fractions are simply another representation of decimals, hence many sources refer to them by their full-name, or sorts : DECIMAL fractions.

We use them in cooking, measuring, money, precise time (usually sporting events and scientific experiments where fractions of seconds mean ALOT), scientific notation and as an extension of our understanding of place value.

I see lots of application in cooking......

Digital scales only display decimals.    But measuring cups and spoons use fractions.    If I have to adjust a recipe because of a digital weight (such as 1.75 pounds of ground beef) when the recipe calls for 1 pound, by how much should I adjust the amount of ______ sauce or _______ spice if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup or 1/2 teaspoon?

How about road signs?

The sign says, "Exit 20, 1 1/4 mile."    How much will that show on my odometer (in decimals)?

time (1/2 of a hour)

I used to do the time cards for my high school job at a dry cleaners. It was the first time I realized what math illiteracy was. I was tasked with training another employee to do the job when I left for college. I couldn't make her believe me that 30 minutes did not equal 0.30 hours. 

Easy way to add fractions with different denominators

Only if decimals terminate. It would be awful for 1/7 + 2/3.

Fractions are typically better mathematically than decimals. They're more exact. Rational numbers are defined as the ratio of two integers...as fractions. Irrational numbers are those whose decimal representation never repeats and never ends.

Get good at fractions and in fractional forms.

Be able to work with decimals for when approximations are needed.

Precision.. 22/7 is an approximation and only gets you so far. Converting it to 3.14.... allows for increasing precision.

No, it doesn't.

If you're talking about pi, it's an irrational number. The decimal representation NEVER repeats or ends. 22/7 is a couple places more accurate than 3.14 but it is still an approximation.

An exact answer includes the irrational number...like 3 pi or 5 on the cube root of two.

You would use decimal approximations for irrational numbers, but it has nothing to do with fractions.

Precision.. 22/7 is an approximation and only gets you so far. Converting it to 3.14.... allows for increasing precision.

This is incorrect, and I suspect you are mixing up two things.

22/7 is an approximation for pi - but 22/7 itself is an exact number for which any decimal can only be an approximation.

3.14... is also an approximation for pi. It is not exact for pi and it will never be, no matter how many digits you take along.

If you want precision for pi in a math answer, the only way is to leave it symbolically as pi. A good math curriculum will teach the student to do just that.

But none of this has anything to do with a preference of fractions over decimals.

In science you will see this a lot, especially in chemistry. The fractions, often ratios, are converted to decimals because the decimals are easier to note and work with in scientific notation.

You would also use this a lot in statistics.

Also, those irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a fraction and need to be worked on as a decimal (pi for example)