Menu

Flower Delivery---how does it work?

Ottakee

One of my close friends lost her father yesterday morning.  It was expected and a blessing but will still be very hard.  They are not doing a service now but will be doing a memorial service in another month or so.

I would like to send her flowers or something now.  How does this work though with a home delivery?  I can order on line, etc.  I just wonder if they call first before heading out to see if someone is home or ????  We are in the midst of an arctic blast so at 20-30 below zero windchills any flowers would be frozen quickly if they are left out.  Then again I don't see a delivery driving want to brave these roads more than once to get them to her.

Any ideas?  We are meeting for lunch today so I might "feel out" when she might be home. 

The florist wouldn't leave the flowers outside to be ruined.  If nobody's home, they'll try later.  I know the place I order from requests a phone number for the recipient, but I don't know if they call ahead or not!  I've only received flowers by home delivery a handful of times in my life and don't think I've ever been called in advance.  But maybe with the weather they'll do that instead of making multiple attempts.

In the past when I haven't been home they have left them with a neighbor. Yes, you can order online, I do find it more expensive but sometimes you can find codes for flowers.com.

If you live in the same town you can call a florist directly. They will tell you what the procedure is if she isn't home and possibly you could request something different. If you don't have an idea of what you want tell them your price limit and the florist will help you.

You could also deliver them (or a meal) yourself.

• Like 1

If you live in the same town you can call a florist directly. They will tell you what the procedure is if she isn't home and possibly you could request something different. If you don't have an idea of what you want tell them your price limit and the florist will help you.

I've actually done this even when I didn't live in the same town.  If you deal with them directly, your money can sometimes go farther.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can do it several ways.  You can order online (I think I've used 1800flowers.com and ftd.com, but there are lots), go to your local florist and order from there (they'll contact a floral service in your friend's area), or look up a florist in your friend's area and call them directly. 

They usually don't deliver if no one's home, even if the weather is good.  In my town, they always call first.

I've actually done this even when I didn't live in the same town. If you deal with them directly, your money can sometimes go farther.

True. My grandparents and SIL live in a bigger cities so I haven't done that for them because I don't know which florists are reputable.

From experience of having worked for a flower shop, order directly yourself from a florist in the town you want the flowers delivered too.  You will save at least 25%.  The wire services like FTD allow the sending florist to keep a percentage so if you spend $100 you are only gong to get a $75 arrangement on the other end. Many shops are not even using wire services anymore because they are so expensive and with the internet most people find a good florist on their own.  Do some research online.  If a flower shop has a nice web site, then chances are good they pay attention to detail and will give you a lovely product. The shop wants to do a good job because even though they don't know you from 500 miles away they want whoever they deliver flowers to to rave about how beautiful they are to all their friends in town.

Florist know that with winter weather they need to protect the flowers from freezing.  They won't leave them if there is a chance.  They will either leave them with a neighbor or leave a note to call the shop to work out a way to get the flowers to the recipient.  Some shops especially in more rural areas will call first to make sure someone is home to accept the delivery because a wasted trip costs them money.

• Thanks 1

I have ordered both by looking up local florist and ordering from an online vendor. Compare prices, including delivery, carefully. Prices are all over the place. Even if I order from an online place, I always call to place the order, because sometimes florists are sold out of a particular flower and substitute something similar to what is in a photograph. If you order by phone, you can then change or customize. 

I have had good luck with this company, From You Flowers

http://www.fromyouflowers.com/search.htm?cat=seasonal+specials&refcode=11G&CMP=ppcsrch&KEYWORD=from%20you%20flowers&NETWORK=search&adtext=7784342955&SRCHENGINE=google&gclid=CPip-svmo7wCFY9lOgodCwcAog

I imagine the funeral home would also have florist recommendations?

Thanks.  I will try to call and order some tomorrow.  I can easily call a local florist.  They don't have a funeral home as he was cremated and they will have a family only memorial service in Feb. as one son is out of the country now.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...