Menu

MINECRAFT HOMESCHOOL.....anyone actually doing it??

SweetMissMagnolia

http://minecrafthomeschool.com

I know we have discussed the finer points of minecraft and the pros and cons of playing it and even using it to teach our kiddos.....I might have even seen the link to this here,I can't remember....but I signed up for it today....Kiddo will start the Moons  & Monuments study in February....have to mark it on my calendar! :lol: I've been looking for ANYTHING to get him back into the learning is fun mindset-we've been unschooling for the past couple of years now and he's been very interested into anything computer tech....he's doing the hour of code and another learn to code classes online....This just seemed kind of obvious to me...he's sooo into minecraft and makes his own servers,mods,mobs,and it's just everything MINECRAFT to him.....I'll update as we go along-if he does well in the first study period,I am definitely signing up for more....each study session/unit is 5 weeks long-we signed up for the advanced so he will have quizzes as part of the study-it has things he has to ready and do apart from the online studies....just thought I'd share....

A bunch if people on another board I'm on are. The reviews have been middling to pretty positive. I'm sure there will be some people here too. I told my boys they could maybe do it for summer. They're not Minecraft mad, but I think they'd think it was fun and the price is so low, that I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be a waste.

I'm a little confused by the quiz thing though.  It says it's multiple choice and 2 essays and that should all take 30 minutes.  I can't imagine my son writing 2 essays in thirty minutes.  Well heck, that would be challenging for me.

I just looked at the site. It says the quiz contains 2 essay questions. I take that to mean "write a sentence or two' not write an entire essay. 

It looks like fun. My son would enjoy it.

My son is currently taking a history and periodic table class through Skrafty. I have him signed up for a creative writing class through Minecraft Homeschool, but it doesn't start until the end of February. He is really enjoying the classes. We're doing self paced. He also loves just playing on Skrafty as well.

My three oldest are in the classes now.  They like it, but they've had HUGE issues with kids stealing claims from under them when they try to alter their buildings or whatever.  And other things like that.  It happens all the time.  So that's disappointing.

My son hasn't had an issue with that. He's been able to make his claim bigger w/out deleting the claim, mostly, I think? He has had a lot of animals killed/stolen.

My son hasn't had an issue with that. He's been able to make his claim bigger w/out deleting the claim, mostly, I think? He has had a lot of animals killed/stolen.

A couple times I was sitting with them helping them and there would be kids sitting there watching and as soon as my kid moved a corner (if they made it the wrong size for the assignment, etc.), a kid would jump in and try to claim it. Crazy!  That hasn't been the case in the 7 Wonders class, though. It's happening less now, so IDK if it was kids who didn't know what they were doing or maybe were just messing around and are finally getting more serious, since it's let up a lot. 

A couple times I was sitting with them helping them and there would be kids sitting there watching and as soon as my kid moved a corner (if they made it the wrong size for the assignment, etc.), a kid would jump in and try to claim it. Crazy!  That hasn't been the case in the 7 Wonders class, though. It's happening less now, so IDK if it was kids who didn't know what they were doing or maybe were just messing around and are finally getting more serious, since it's let up a lot.

Being in Hawaii, there aren't usually a lot of kids on when DS is on in the late afternoon here. There were clearly a lot of kids in the first week of his class that didn't know what they were doing, so maybe that is part of it?