Menu

How to paint the exterior of a house in winter?

caitlinsmom

We just got the appraisal  back on a house we are buying.  It came in at 10k over what we needed which was a huge relief.  However one stipulation to close is that exterior needs to be repainted (its a fixer upper).  I live in Idaho....its the middle of winter.....and today is a balmy 31 degrees.  The rest of the week is supposed to be colder.  We will need to get the house painted in the next week or so.

Anyone know the best way to go about this so the paint adheres and it doesn't take too long to dry?  Google U isn't helping me out too much.

PS.  Because I know it will come up..... Yes it is the sellers responsibility to paint it.  They are, we just happen to be friends so we are helping take care of things.

I think the rule of thumb is that it has to be 50 or above to paint.  What do local painters say?  Can you stop in at a Sherwin-Williams or similar paint store and ask them?  

P.s.  This is what my husband, who managed a SW store in a prior life, always says.  That was years ago, though, so maybe today's paint is more forgiving.

Sounds like a tough situation, any way to change the stipulation and provide a discount or something for the painting? I don't think you'll be able to paint until the weather is above 40 at least, though a glance at one website says they have paint that can be used as low as 35-degrees. So think you're looking at needing it to be above freezing before it'll be possible.

I wouldn't paint the house.  I'd agree to paint it when the weather improves.  It's a waste of money and paint to do it now.  Seriously. 

We don't have an option.  If we want to close we have to do it.  We MUST move before the end of the month.  I don't care if it stays on long term s we have plans to replace siding in the spring.  Will it be wasteful, yes but it something we have to do. :( 

We did try to have an escrow account set up for repairs once it warms up but they wouldn't agree to that.

if you google "how to paint in cold weather", all sorts of info comes up. 

http://construction.about.com/od/Remodeling/a/How-To-Paint-Cold-Weather-Painting.htm

this one talks about some paints that can be used down to 35F.  it does state that that is the minimum temperature possible.

it sounds like you will be below that....

http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/pdfs/techBulletins/applications/GP_AP17_Cold_Weather_Painting.pdf

sorry,

ann

eta: low temperature acrylic appears to be the current low temperature paint of choice.  (by low they appear to mean just above freezing.)  oil is better than latex at cooler temperature, apparently, but takes forever to dry so gets damaged..  i'm learning a lot.  also, some professionals might be able to give you some tips.

http://www.franklinpainting.com/blog/home/cold-weather-paint/

I'd get a painting contractor to write something like "you're nuts" that you can show to the attorneys on both sides.

If they don't budge, rent a sprayer and water down some cheap Home Depot Behr paint and slap on a single coat, knowing you'll just have to scrape it off later.

Lol.  That's basically what Sherwin Williams and Columbia just said.  For some reason I don't think it will work. :)

They do make a lo-temp paint but it has to remain at 34 degrees for 24 hours.  That just isn't going to happen as our nighttime temps are usually below 0.  Even tenting off and adding heaters isn't going to keep the temp up for that long. 

Next option- we purchase the siding now and take care of it.  Ah!  I really don't want to rush that decision.

this one mentions a paint that will work at 20F... maybe...

http://www.davispaint.com/Articles/General/Coldwthrptg.pdf

i'm wondering if it would help to use a heater to warm the bit you are about to paint..... ???

this article mentions using a heat gun to dry it AFTEr you paint it.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/heat-gun-to-dry-paint-in-cold-weather.htm

We don't have an option.  If we want to close we have to do it.  We MUST move before the end of the month.  I don't care if it stays on long term s we have plans to replace siding in the spring.  Will it be wasteful, yes but it something we have to do. :(

We did try to have an escrow account set up for repairs once it warms up but they wouldn't agree to that.

You should have an option to do it later. We closed on a refi last January and we had a honey-do list of things that needed to get done. We're in VT and we couldn't rebuild the deck or reside the house in Jan and the bank was reasonable and gave us 6 months. Everything I've heard, you can't paint in freezing temps. 

Siding might be possible, but...

Since siding expands and contracts, they leave little expansion gaps under the trim. I'm not sure how they'd estimate that gap when the siding is already cold and in its "shrunken" state. Not saying it can't be done, but you'd need a contractor who has done it before in the cold. Things like air lines for their nailers will be affected by cold.

I had a lender try to convince me that the (new) house needed sod and landscaping to be finished (I closed homes for a builder in MN) The lender was in Texas, we kept going 'round and 'round, me telling them that we'd escrow, them insisting it needed to be done. Finally what got through to them was me asking if they had ever unrolled a frozen burrito. They hadn't, nor did they think it would be easy. I told them that was like unrolling sod in the winter up here. Well that made the lightbulb go off for them, I could see it all the way in MN. :lol:

The problem isn't if it stays on long term. The problem is the paint won't harden. It will always be tacky/gummy. It will have to be removed before you could paint over it again nit will be a HUGE mess.

We came up with a solution.  Dh called a friend who is a local contractor and brick mason.  We are borrowing some insulated tarps (who knew) to wrap off each area and a 150000 btu heaters that will blow into the tarped off area.  The friend claimed that the combination will easily get the inside temp to a steady 65 degrees.  We bought cold weather paint that needs a temp of 34 degrees maintained for 24 hours to cure so we should be good.  We only have 2 ends of the house to paint so we should be able to get everything done tomorrow and dry by Sunday evening.  Apparently the friend has used this method many times when meeting building deadlines without compromising the paint/house down the road.

Here's hoping.  We get started at sun up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input!