Menu

Want to see a new calf?

fairfarmhand

It's official.  I am a farmer. For the first time in the 10 years that we've been farming, I had to reach my hand inside a birthing cow and reposition a calf. After I got over the ick factor, it was pretty cool! He was a BIG calf and his front legs were flexed rather than extended, meaning that his elbows hung up on mom's pelvis. I repositioned his legs and my dh got home just in time to help pull him. It's a good thing, because I would never have had the strength to pull him out myself. He weighed about 75-80 lbs. The coolest part was when I found his head in the birth canal, he sucked on my fingers. It made me happy because I knew then that I was working to save a live calf, rather than a dead one. His mama is a Jersey and he is a Jersey/Angus cross.

29f628e1-4edd-4756-92a7-0353dd2367dc_zps

I grew up on a cattle farm. I had to pull a calf when I was 14? or so. Mom was a heifer that was having a hard time, and I was the only one home. I hooked up the chains and pulled and cried and pulled some more, then voila a calf was born. Alive and well. Awww. I miss calving so much. Thanks for the pic and the story.

Congrats!! I was always being sent in to reposition calves when I was a teenager. I have long arms and strong hands so I was well suited for the job.

As for the size, we had a Jersey last year who had a 110lb calf. We lost the calf though, it was just too massive. Glad you little fella is healthy and bouncing.

That's a good sized calf for a beef momma. For my little Jersey it was ridiculous. My dh was astonished that he was so big. For a comparison, this cow's last calf was about 60 lbs.

I have learned so much about farming & animals, between here & the tutorial (in fact, one of your friend's has been part of my education). Some people like to really talk about these things during lunch in the teacher's lunch room.

Congrats!! I was always being sent in to reposition calves when I was a teenager. I have long arms and strong hands so I was well suited for the job.

As for the size, we had a Jersey last year who had a 110lb calf. We lost the calf though, it was just too massive. Glad you little fella is healthy and bouncing.

wow! Poor cow! Did momma survive?

wow! Poor cow! Did momma survive?

She did. We kept her around for that year as a nurse cow and then let her go though. She only had three working quarters by that point. We had picked her up from a dairy as a dry cow. Wasn't careful about it and realized quickly afterwards that she had dry mastitis. She lost a quarter over that, bad enough that it mostly sloughed off. The vet had said to get rid of her as soon as we found out she had dry mastitis but I wanted the calf, so I resorted to a lot of old methods my grandpa had taught me and she came through it all amazingly well. The vet had been sure we were going to lose three quarters so only one was a big win. But after losing the calf, we just put her down. I had worked too much with her to stomach sending her to market. She is buried at the far end of the property and went happily munching on her sweet feed.

That's really cool, esp. the part about the calf sucking your fingers while he was still inside. I grew up in dairy country, and my dad's best friend is a farmer. Dad got to help his friend deliver unexpected twin calves--apparently it's not unusual for one to die if the farmer doesn't have an extra person on hand, so it made his friend's day to have both calves make it. Watching a cow calve is really special. I always enjoyed the few times I got to play farm girl at a friend's house, and I remember watching a friend's mom help deliver a calf one time when I was there. 

My college roommate wanted to be a vet (her dad and grandfather were vets), but she became a nurse instead (figured it would be an easier career/school path to work around a family). Her dream was to put her arm into the back end of a cow, and she eventually got there. She used a retired calf puller (a custom design of her grandfather's) as a pair of bookends in our dorm room. It was quite the conversation piece.