Menu

Tell me your opinions on this babysitter.....

HappyLady

I finally got up the courage to contact someone from a website in hopes to find a babysitter other than my unreliable sister.  I had this woman come over (for 2 hours) and I stayed home so I could be here in case she had questions, I could get to know her, and I could see how she was with my kids.  I tried to stay in another room as much as possible, but I could still hear everything.

Anyway, this woman (27) is very nice and seems very responsible.  My only issue is that she wasn't very, um, enthusiastic, energetic, bubbly, I guess you could say.  She did whatever my DD wanted her to do, but was very reserved.  Not someone that a 5 and 3 year old would find very fun, IMO.  In fact, my 3 year old DS wanted nothing to do with her.  I always expected a babysitter would have more life to her and would just try to make things fun for the kids, but maybe I'm expecting too much.   :confused1:  Maybe she was nervous and she'd be different as time went on so I'm willing to give her another chance, but I'm just wondering what you all think.  Do you just want someone who's responsible and will take good care of the kids or would you want someone that's also fun and the kids look forward to them coming over?  My DD said she liked her and wanted her to come again, but unless she tries to make things fun I fear my DS will just cry the whole time she's here.

Thoughts?

It sounds like me.  A few reasons:

• I am giving myself and your children time to get to know each other.  And checking the place out - where are the bathrooms / diapers / how is the kitchen set up / what books and toys do you have / which areas are toddler proof ....
  • Many kids do not respond well to the in-your-face "let's have fun" persona.  Many do better with a bit of time to warm up to a new person.
  • It is very exhausting to keep up the "energetic, fun" persona more than a short time period anyway.  Especially for kids who get riled up and want to spend the next two hours running and screaming and fighting with their siblings.
  • You were there.  Maybe she thought you would think she was nuts if she got loud and silly with the kids.  Maybe she thought you'd like her to keep the kids quiet-ish.  She doesn't know what you like.  Some folks like a quiet-ish home.  Some folks need that.

My top priority in a babysitter was that she is responsible and sensible. Being fun is nice, but bonus.

I would not expect that every person can be bubbly and upbeat in a new surrounding, aware of the prospective employer hovering next door and listening - I am a very upbeat person, but such scrutiny would drive me nuts.

She needs to meet the kids and find out what they could find fun. You could suggest an activity that you want her to do with your children, as per their request.

I would also not expect my children to be excited about the babysitter on the first visit, if it is a person they have not previously known.

Responsible is my number one thing I would look for.  Being fun can be great but my kids would probably not respond well to someone who was overly bubbly.  It would overwhelm and overstimulate them.  I am not an overly bubbling, high energy person myself, and two of my three kids are introverts that don't like a lot of high energy interaction over several hours I would be gone.  Someone who is willing to play with the kids instead of sitting around the whole time is great, but I wouldn't expect them to entertain my children the whole time.  My children are perfectly capable of entertaining themselves.  But what works for my family may not work for others.  If your kids would respond better to a different personality then maybe looking around would be a good thing.

Responsible is my number 1.  I work in childcare and I am very fun and the kids love me BUT I tend to hold back the first 1-2 times with the child as I learn their personalities, how they communicate, what they need.  I also tend to hold back when meeting parents for the first time though I no longer do once I have been with their kids enough and the kids are telling them all about me anyway.  So initially I may look like a boring sitter, too reserved etc but the reality is the opposite I just like to take the child's lead and learn their personalities first.  If someone came into my home and was all energetic and hyper the first time they met my kids, I would think they were trying too hard and it would actually put me off of hiring them.  I want them to get to know my kids and reach them in a way that best suits them, not someone who comes in with an in your face energy (which for me bubbly and energetic would be). 

Responsible is nice, but when I hire a babysitter I suppose I'm looking for someone who will also spend a portion of the time entertaining or supervising entertainment.

:iagree: That is why I liked having young teens as babysitters (and why dd is in such demand as a babysitter - she is responsible, but she likes kids.)  They were much more willing to engage the kids, which helps distract them when I needed to be out.  I guess it depends on how long you plan to leave the children.  If you were looking for a nanny or long term babysitter, then I would put less emphasis on entertaining the kids. 

For an occasional sitter, she sounds fine. Maybe keep an ear out for others, but if this is just someone for date nights and such, then whatever.

For a regular sitter like a part time nanny or a one day a week person, she'd be fine, I'm sure, but I'd hold out for what you're really looking for.

For an occasional sitter, she sounds fine. Maybe keep an ear out for others, but if this is just someone for date nights and such, then whatever.

For a regular sitter like a part time nanny or a one day a week person, she'd be fine, I'm sure, but I'd hold out for what you're really looking for.

I agree.

I have a babysitter so rarely that I just want someone to keep the kids safe while I'm gone. That's really all I need.

My kids have never had a babysitter who wasn't related to them, so I'm not 100% sure how I'd feel ... but I can share that they definitely have been watched by the gamut of personalities.  Some relatives roll on the floor and play, others just are physically present to make sure nobody gets hurt or burns the house down.  I don't know if I'd feel differently having someone on payroll, but I tend towards the latter myself - with my own kids. LOL Naturally, I think I'd be fine with a paid babysitter being that. I suppose I see a babysitter as someone to sit with the kids - not necessarily 'play' or entertain them. If that were my goal, I might try to do a play date type swap with another family so that my kid could be more guaranteed a fun time.

I sense that you recognize she might still be feeling out the situation, so I think a second opportunity is a good idea.  Does she have kids of her own? Before I had my own, I always felt more guarded when I knew the parent was nearby. I can't explain why, it just was. Once I had my own kids, I felt more comfortable interacting with others' kids - I was less self-conscious and generally more aware of ages/stages/expectations, I guess.

We had a "fun" babysitter who often canceled at the last minute. The last straw was inviting a boy (complete stranger to my children and me) over to our house. Give me responsible and mature over fun any day. Ideally, I'd like someone playing with my child, but if I need a sitter, I'm more worried about my children's health and safety than finding a new friend.

Reserved works for me. Suits me, suits my introverted kids. I wouldn't want someone who didn't seem to like children or childcare, but if it's just a more reserved manner, that wouldn't bother me at all. As someone noted upthread, I don't think the babysitter needs to entertain the kids--they will entertain themselves just fine. The babysitter just needs to make sure they don't get too out of line!

I wouldn't really expect a 27 year old adult to be super bubbly, energetic and fun especially on a first visit while you are around. To me the most important thing is someone who is reliable and responsible and who will follow my wishes. It would be nice to have someone full of energy but it isn't a requirement and I really would only expect to find someone who is playing with the kids and bubbly in a teenage babysitter who hasn't had kids yet and even then there are different personalities.