Menu

Hominy---I need recipes that include hominy

Ottakee

I had this at a friend's house a few years ago; it was delicious! If I was making it I would find a substitute for the gravy mix (probably a roux of butter and flour thinned with chicken broth).

White Chicken Chili - adopted from Eating for Life
Serves 8
Freezes well

8 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
1 onion finely chopped
2 lbs chicken breast
2 packages chicken gravy mix
3 small cans diced mild green chilis (can use less to taste)
6 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans hominy (15 oz each), drained
8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

1)In a large pot, combine chicken broth, chicken breasts, and onion. Heat to boiling over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle (about 20-25 minutes). Remove chicken and set aside to cool.

2) Use a whisk to blend gravy mix into the broth. Then add chilies, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and hominy. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low.

3) Shred the cooked chicken by pulling it apart with two forks and add it back to the broth. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

4) Warm the tortillas by placing them between two damp paper towels and microvaving on high for 45 seconds.

5) Spoon a portion of the chili into each bowl, top with the chopped tomato and a tablespoon of sour cream. Use the warm tortilla for dipping.

good recipe and hominy do not belong in the same sentence

:lol: !   Since I was a child, I have hated hominy. My mom loved it and would try to get me to eat it every time she made it. I would never eat it plain and still consider myself a hater, with the one exception being the recipe I posted above. That is the only way I have ever eaten hominy and gone back for seconds.

This is a weight watchers recipe that is really good. I crumbled a corn bread muffin over the top and it was amazing!

28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with their juice   

31 oz canned hominy, drained and rinsed   

1 1/2 cup(s) (sliced) uncooked red onion(s), chopped  

1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked celery, thinly sliced   

2/3 cup(s) canned chicken broth   

1/2 cup(s) chopped green chili(es), canned (hot, medium or mild)

2 tsp dried oregano   

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin   

1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground  

1/4 tsp ground cloves   

1 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), casings removed  

Instructions

• Mix the undrained diced tomatoes, hominy, onion, celery, broth, green chilies, oregano, cumin, pepper and cloves in a 4-, 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Crumble the sausage into quarter-sized bits over the stew; gently stir it in without breaking it up too much. 

• Cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
  •  

I make a "Cowboy Stew" that's a big hit with my family.

Smoky Beef and Hominy Stew

6 TBSP all-purpose flour

1-1.5 TSP chipotle chile powder (to taste)

1/4 TSP salt

1 lb. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 TBSP canola oil

1 lg. onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely

3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth

1 14.5 oz. can no-salt added stewed tomatoes

3/4 TSP dried oregano

2 15 oz cans hominy, drained and rinsed

1 lb. bag baby carrots, sliced

1 large green or red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces

3 TBSP chopped cilantro (I omit this, my DH hates cilantro)

1 teensy splash of liquid smoke (optional)

In a shallow dish, whisk flour, 1 TSP chipotle powder and salt.  Coat beef with flour mixture, reserve unused flour mixture.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add beef and cook, turning, until all sides are brown.  Remove to a plate and reserve.

Add onion and garlic to pot, cook over medium heat, stirring to keep garlic from burning.  Sprinkle with 1/4 water, if needed.  Scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pot.

Stir in beef, and any accumulated juices, reserved flour mixture, broth, tomatoes, 1 cup water, dried oregano, liquid smoke (optional).  Bring to a boil, then reduce mixture to medium-low.  Gently simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  

Add hominy, carrots, pepper, and remaining 1/2 TSP of chipotle powder (optional).  Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serve over brown rice.  Serves 6.