Menu

Favorite Board Games?!?

justkeepswimming

It's that time of year again! We always buy new boards games right before Christmas, so I'd love to hear other people's favorite games at the moment! I already read through past posts with a similar topic, but I know new games have come out in the past year or two, so am wondering if any of those new games have been worthwhile as well as the old favorites that are still standing the test of time!

thanks!!

Incan Gold has been the biggest family hit at our house over the last year. We've also enjoyed Pandemic, Castle Panic, and Forbidden Island (all cooperative games). Old favorites include: Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Cheeky Monkey (fun for the kids), Elfenland, Labyrinth, Tikal, Ra, Bohnanza (and the associated board game Bean Traders), Castle Keep, and Ninja vs Ninja.

How old are your children?

Are you familiar with Games Magazine?  The December issue (on the shelves now) has a lengthy article on Best Games of the Year.  Here's a link which names the winning games both Traditional and Electronic.  For details, you would need to read the article in the magazine itself.

Regards,

Kareni

Age group? Number of players?

We just played

this weekend with a large group (5 players max for the game). The idea of the game is easy (place cards of different colors into stacks with the numbers 1-5 in the correct order), but in play it's very funny (none of the players can see their own cards and other players can only talk about specific things). It got very creative and silly. "If you seek contentment in the East, look for the rising sun to light your way." "I have no idea what you mean by that. Wait, which way is East???"

Dh got

(simple card game where you create groups of sushi cards which earn you points, you have a hand where you take one card and pass it to your left) for his birthday. The artwork is very cutsie anime that the boys love. Small, simple game.

Terra Mystica was a longer, more complex game that we enjoyed playing at a game conference lately (we don't own it yet). You take on the role of a race (dwarves, hobbits, mermen, etc.) and you build a civilization and get points. We've also played a couple of games of

, a game where you collect elements to make organic compounds in a lab. I'm still feeling that one out right now.

From Kareni's Games Magazine link (which is a good one), I wanted to report that dh and I really love Morels. It's a 2-player card game where you are discovering, picking, and cooking mushrooms. Works very well within it's theme and is fairly quick and easy to learn. The hardest thing is moving the line of mushrooms forward every turn. We solved that by laying a piece of paper or a cloth napkin (or two) folded in half. The mushrooms go on there and you can move them forward as a group (instead of each individual one). When the paper or napkin is empty I put it in the back and re-load it from the deck.

From Kareni's Games Magazine link (which is a good one), I wanted to report that dh and I really love Morels. It's a 2-player card game where you are discovering, picking, and cooking mushrooms. Works very well within it's theme and is fairly quick and easy to learn. The hardest thing is moving the line of mushrooms forward every turn. We solved that by laying a piece of paper or a cloth napkin (or two) folded in half. The mushrooms go on there and you can move them forward as a group (instead of each individual one). When the paper or napkin is empty I put it in the back and re-load it from the deck.

My son won that game at a board game contest. 

:)