Menu

Need suggestions: 11 yr old would like a bow and arrow and BB gun

calledtobehome

My girls have compound bows (Genesis) as these are the ones their 4-H group practices with and the kind used in competitions. Poundage is, I think, 15-30 lbs maybe.

BTW, yes, this will put a hole in the side of your van. Don't ask. You don't want to know. I didn't! It is covered by a bullet hole sticker now.

We have an assortment of bows. If you are interested in having your son learn how to make a bow, you can purchase blanks as well as arrows.  Our scout troop does a special camp out every year where the boys make their own bow and arrows.  While not hunting quality, they are lots of fun.  And the boys are very proud of their finished product.  These are the more traditional bows rather than hunting or target shooting bows.  The Genesis bows are excellent bows and are used by our 4H club.  

http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/index.php/thick-hardwood-bow-blanks-craft-make-your-own.html

No advice...just my sympathy. Bow and Arrow was last year and this year it is a new air soft gun (bigger and more power of course.) He's 12. Sigh. Life was easier when it was Bionicles rather than projectiles. :crying:

This year it's swords for my 8 yr old daughter. She learned in karate, and Santa will be bringing her a set of three very nice swords of assorted sizes.

No advice...just my sympathy. Bow and Arrow was last year and this year it is a new air soft gun (bigger and more power of course.) He's 12. Sigh. Life was easier when it was Bionicles rather than projectiles. :crying:

Oh boy what is a mom to do? The list goes on and on.....😃

-BB Gun

-Airsoft Gun

-Bow and Arrow

-Duck caller

-Pocket Knife

Is he interested in eventually hunting?  Competitive target shooting? Shooting at empty cardboard boxes in the backyard? There are recurves, compounds, bare bows, cross bows and long bows.

My middle daughter (16) is a competitive archer. She recommends you look for Lancaster Archery online.  They sell every kind of equipment you could possibly need and have a good support system so you can contact them with questions. They also have a reputation for having a great return policy.

She started out on a Formula XL by Hoyt when she started competing. Now she shoots a GMX which is not for beginners. When she got into competitive equipment her bow "fitting" took 2 coaches and more than an hour.  Then her arrows were cut down to fit her too.  She learned to fletch them herself to save money.  Depending on the range or area where your kid shoots, it can tear up arrows pretty quickly until they get better at hitting targets. As they get taller and stronger the limbs on the recurve bows get longer and the draw weights get higher, so the archery team's policy of trading in outgrown limbs for larger ones saved us a lot of money.

Before then she used the wooden loaner bows for beginners at the local indoor archery range.  Some outdoor ranges have classes too and they loan equipment for beginners also.  Mine was in love with archery very quickly so we had to budget in classes, equipment and competition within a year.

She competes at The Vegas Shoot every year.  You can look it up online and see all the different options competitors have when it comes to types of bows and regulation equipment. Kids can compete in child divisions.