Menu

how do you cook a Chuck Roast?

ProudGrandma

I usually marinate it in some vinegar/oil/herb and spice combination.  Lately it's red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, parsley, onion powder, maybe some paprika, salt and pepper, a little Montreal steak seasoning.  I've done it for as little as 30 minutes and as long as several hours.  Doesn't matter a whole lot, because the cooking method is THE BOMB.  Guarantees a perfectly cooked, perfectly tender roast every single time.  I swear.

Heat the oven to 500. Put your roast in the pre-heated oven, uncovered, for exactly 5.5 minutes per pound.  Turn the oven off, and let it sit for an hour.  DO NOT under any circumstances open the oven during that hour.  That's it.  I promise you it will be the best roast you've ever tasted.  Works with pork, too. 

I all is know is that every time I see this thread title I think about roasting up some poor guy named Chuck. Just can't get past that enough to give a sensible answer. I want to be a smart aleck and say, "the same way I cook a Dave roast or a Bob roast," but I'm not sure that will be helpful.

I all is know is that every time I see this thread title I think about roasting up some poor guy named Chuck. Just can't get past that enough to give a sensible answer. I want to be a smart aleck and say, "the same way I cook a Dave roast or a Bob roast," but I'm not sure that will be helpful.

A guy I know hates it when someone says he's going to the john. The guy always responds that he's going to the Larry or Steve...or whatever the other guy's name is.

I cook mine in the crock pot with ancho chili powder, a nice dark beer, and garlic. There may be some other spices, too...if you're interested, I can look it up. It's kind of like a chili, and so very delicious! Great by itself or with rice.

I've also been known to cook it with red wine, onion soup mix, and mushrooms, and serve it over egg noodles.

Oh, and I also use it to make Italian beef!

BEST pot roast EVER. I think I got it from America's Test Kitchen, or another one of those websites/shows that tries a few different methods to find the best tasting final product. I've been making this for six years or so.

2 HOUR PERFECT POT ROAST
(They called it 90 Minute Perfect Pot Roast, but it takes me about 2 hours)

2 T. oil
1 boneless chuck roast, 2-2.5 lbs., patted dry with a paper towel
Salt and pepper
2 medium-large onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 c.)
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 c. dry red wine
1 T. cornstarch
2 c. chicken broth (yes, chicken)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450.

Set a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat on the stove while preparing the meat and onions. Pour oil into medium bowl, add roast and turn to coat. Generously sprinkle both sides of roast with salt and pepper. A few minutes before you plan to brown roast, turn heat to high. Add roast to dutch oven, cook on one side until a solid brown crust forms, 5 mins. Turn roast over, and cook until other side also forms a crust, 5 mins. Remove roast from pot. Tilt pot. If meat has not rendered 1 T. fat, add enough oil to the pot to equal 1 T.

Add onions and saute until soft and golden brown around edges, 5 mins. Add wine (the smaller amount if dutch oven is 9.5" in diameter or less), simmer for 1 min. to burn off alcohol. Return pot roast to pot and turn off heat.

Cover pot with heavy foil, pressing down snugly to form a *concave* lid that touches the roast inside the pan. AND place pot lid on pot. Return pot to burner and cook over med.-high heat until you hear juices bubbling.

Set pot in oven and cook 1 hour and 20 mins. until roast is dark brown and tender and onions and pan juices are nicely brown and caramelized. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 10-15 mins. Carefully remove lid and foil from pot and remove roast to a plate.

Skim fat from surface, if you like, and heat onions and drippings over med. high heat. Mix cornstarch with chicken broth and add to drippings. Simmer, scraping pot sides and bottom to loosen brown bits, until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 mins. Return toast to pot to simmer for a minute or two. Remove roast from juices.

Cut meat into thin slices, making sure that you are cutting against grain. Transfer meat to a platter and spoon juice over.

I was visualising a "Chuck Norris" roast. :o