Menu

Anyone start homeschooling because of Competitive Gymnastics?

Just curious.... My 9yo will have to be at the gym 15 hours a week starting next semester.  She is at public school right now, but is wanting to come back home.. She is worn out and just loves home better.  She is at the gym 10 hours a week right now, and we have had competitions almost every weekend.  So just being nosy and wonder if I am alone here... lol

Not gymnastics, but performing arts did play a part in our decision to homeschool and ultimately to continue homeschooling thru the highschool years.  The schedules of the activities associated with these passions make it rather difficult to work with additional deadlines externally from school.  Schedule and pacing control makes for user friendly living.

We started homeschooling my 11 year old three years ago because of competitive gymnastics.  She is at the gym an average of 30 hours a week.  There is a large number of homeschoolers at our gym so the girls have practice during the day.  Some days they start practice by 10 am.   There are probably 20 or so girls that are homeschooled in levels 7-10.  Once you are a level 9 and 10, it is almost required with the amount of time that is put into gymnastics. 

I have a friend that started homeschooling because her daughter is a competition ice skater and spends a lot of time at the rink. My daughter is in karate competition training approx 9 hrs a week. I don't know how she would be able to keep up if she were in school. It works for us.

We did not start homeschooling because of gymnastics but I am not sure how my daughter could train the amount of hours (27/week with privates & TOPs/Elite) she does without it. Unfortunately, our current gym does not have enough homeschoolers to train in the morning. We make the best of it. Weigh your options and go from there :)

We are not homeschooling because of gymnastics but at this poing my son would have a hard time going to school and gym. He is in the gym for 20 hours a week plus a hour or 2 more for private lessons. About 1/2 of the boys on our team homeschool. The charter school we are with pays $100 a month toward gym fees. Some of the kids go to school and they miss more practice.

Wow.. thanks for the replies!  It is getting tough getting her to school and finishing homework for sure!  She is so exhausted and very sore all the time!!  She told me today that her eyes keep trying to close at school because she is so sleepy:(  Plus she said school is boring too... LOL!!!  

Not because of it, but Ds would never had been able to keep up school and 30 hours in the gym a week by the time he stopped at level 8. I always felt so sorry for those poor fellow 10 year olds getting up at 7 am for school all day, and training all night.

Another perk- it's a socially acceptable reason to home school, lol. People seem to get it more than "we just don't much care for public school". ;-)

I have a performer, not a gymnast. My son has danced and sung and done theatre since he was 7. When he was getting ready to start high school, he seriously considered applying to the performing arts magnet at a local public school. When we really looked at the schedule that program would have required, it became clear that he would have had to give up any outside opportunities to perform.

In the end, he decided he valued the flexibility he had to seek out classes and training and performance opportunities in the wider world outside of a structured school environment. And he cancelled his audition for the program.

Since then, he has steadily increased the number of classes and hours he spends in the dance studio each week. This year, he's taking 15-ish hours of class, plus additional rehearsals for competitions and special events, and assistant teaching for three classes. He's managed to stay in his choir, too, and is in his third year of volunteering at the local science museum. And despite all of it, he will graduate a year early. 

He definitely could not have kept up this pace if he'd been tied down to a regular school day schedule.

We didn't start homeschooling because of gymnastics, but for the years dd was doing 16-20 hours of gymnastics a week (ages 9-13) I don't know how we would have made it without homeschooling. She would get home from gym and eat dinner at 8:30, then shower and go to bed. If she had, had homework for public school... :svengo:  She also needed to be able to sleep later than ps would have allowed to recover from that. Starting in 5th grade ps here starts at 7:30. Instead of getting up by 6:00 for ps, she was able to sleep until 7:30, start school by 8:00 and be finished with all schoolwork by the time she started gym in the afternoons.

We have been at two different gyms through the years. In fact the gym may be the first place I ever met a homeschooler. There have always been several. One of the things I love about the kids at gym is the school diversity. They go to multiple public schools in multiple districts, several private schools and there are always homeschoolers too. No one feels different because of their school choice.

We didn't start because of gymnastics, but we may continue because of it.  Struggling to figure out what makes sense for the sanity of all!  My 8yo is only Level 3 this year, but we're in a "hot house" area, and she trains 13 hours per week.  Next year will be even more.  Daytime practices make it much more do-able.  Now just need to figure out how we're going to afford it!