Menu

EXPIRED: Games at around 50% off on Amazon Today!

Catwoman

UPDATED TO ADD: THE DEAL HAS NOW EXPIRED.

Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day is games at around 50% off, and there are several very good games listed. Some of the prices are the lowest that Amazon has ever offered.

I bought quite a few. I'd heard of some of them, and others just sounded like fun.

Sorry I'm not including a link, but I'm on my iPad.

Edited to add: Before you buy anything, check the item page and be sure that there isn't an additional $3.00-off coupon available. A few of the games had them, but now I can't remember which ones they were. :blush:

OK, since I can't post a link, I'm going to post a list of what's on sale. I put asterisks next to the ones I bought. If anyone has specific recommendations for certain ages, please feel free to post, because I know that many of us are looking for Christmas ideas, and this seems like an excellent sale. Also post if you think a particular game is awful, because you might save someone some money! :)

Jungle Speed**

Wits and Wagers Family**

Logo Party

Taboo

Spot It! Party**

Dixit

Dixit Journey

Scattergories

Dabble**

Loaded Questions

Cranium

Indigo Family Game

Ghooost Card Game**

Pentago Multi Player**

Chronology Board Game**

Konexi**

Last Word**

Klondike

Pictionary Frame Game

Trivial Pursuit Party Game

Three Little Pigs

Sequence Tin**

Korner'd Board Game**

Funny or Die

Doodle Jump

Choose One

Celebrity Throw Down

Family Feud

Takenoko (a game about raising bamboo for the emperor's panda) is also included.

Thanks! It wasn't on the list earlier today, so it looks like it may be worth keeping an eye on the page to see if they add anything else. :)

Do you know if it's a good game? I nearly ordered it (for the same price) the last time Amazon had a board game day. I thought the panda was cute, but I was ordering several other games and I ended up passing on this one.

I'm trying to avoid games with super-complicated rules, because a few of the games I bought the last time (and put away for Christmas) seem to have a pretty steep learning curve, and I don't want to give ds13 too many games that will take us forever to learn. (I'm lazy!!!)

I had Dabble in my cart for a couple of hours, just went back and it's been removed from the 50% off sale. *grumble* I wasn't heart set on it, but oh well.

You may want to keep checking. I noticed that a few games disappeared from the list for a while and then reappeared a few hours later.

I'll bet it could. I found a few gameplay videos on YouTube and the letters look large and chunky, and they are in a very traditional font.

I may have to snatch this one up then.

Any way I can get Bug to practice letter recognition without realizing we are working is worth pursuing at this point!

I may have to snatch this one up then.

Any way I can get Bug to practice letter recognition without realizing we are working is worth pursuing at this point!

I think it could work, because you could turn it into a building set instead of a game and keep identifying the letters as Bug hooks them together. You could also turn it into a challenge, where you ask Bug to stack particular letters or something.

I think it could work, because you could turn it into a building set instead of a game and keep identifying the letters as Bug hooks them together. You could also turn it into a challenge, where you ask Bug to stack particular letters or something.

I think you're right.

So I bought it!

After teaching two people to read I was feeling rather accomplished; Bug might just be life's way of keeping my head from swelling too much!

Thanks! It wasn't on the list earlier today, so it looks like it may be worth keeping an eye on the page to see if they add anything else. :)

Do you know if it's a good game? I nearly ordered it (for the same price) the last time Amazon had a board game day. I thought the panda was cute, but I was ordering several other games and I ended up passing on this one.

I'm trying to avoid games with super-complicated rules, because a few of the games I bought the last time (and put away for Christmas) seem to have a pretty steep learning curve, and I don't want to give ds13 too many games that will take us forever to learn. (I'm lazy!!!)

Can you give me an idea of a game with super complicated rules? I just played the deluxe version in September (same game with bigger prettier parts). I didn't think it was too complicated. Here's a review of it I posted on The Gamers Table, a social group here on WTM. Basically, you maneuver things to control growth (lay land tile, irrigate, water, move gardener) or the feeding panda. You maneuver them to correspond to goals you have on cards (similar to Ticket to Ride if you've played that). Completed goals (3 green land positioned in a triangle shape, 2 pink bamboo grown 3 high, etc.) earn points. 

Here's a play-through (basically a video where someone plays the game and explains it). It is also the deluxe version. The one for sale on Amazon is the basic version. Considering the parts and figures I think $27 is reasonable but it depends on what people like. 

Can you give me an idea of a game with super complicated rules? I just played the deluxe version in September (same game with bigger prettier parts). I didn't think it was too complicated. Here's a review of it I posted on The Gamers Table, a social group here on WTM. Basically, you maneuver things to control growth (lay land tile, irrigate, water, move gardener) or the feeding panda. You maneuver them to correspond to goals you have on cards (similar to Ticket to Ride if you've played that). Completed goals (3 green land positioned in a triangle shape, 2 pink bamboo grown 3 high, etc.) earn points.

Here's a play-through (basically a video where someone plays the game and explains it). It is also the deluxe version. The one for sale on Amazon is the basic version. Considering the parts and figures I think $27 is reasonable but it depends on what people like.

Thanks, Tam! I just looked up the giant collector's edition set and it looks amazing! (I would never spend over $300 on it, though! :))

I'm going to have ds13 look at the game play video and see what he thinks of it. The price is very low for that game, although I'm used to shopping for strategy games and they tend to be pricey, so I'm reaching a point where it takes a lot to shock me. ;) I remember the first time I bought a $50.00 board game -- I thought it was crazy expensive, because I was used to spending 20 bucks on a game at Toys R Us. The discount on this game is excellent, but the price would still look high to anyone who is used to buying the mass market games from the big manufacturers... until they get addicted.... :D

I have to admit that it bugs me to buy an expensive game only to find out that it's not much fun. I love it when I can find low-priced games, because then I don't mind so much if we don't like them.

;) I remember the first time I bought a $50.00 board game -- I thought it was crazy expensive, because I was used to spending 20 bucks on a game at Toys R Us. The discount on this game is excellent, but the price would still look high to anyone who is used to buying the mass market games from the big manufacturers... until they get addicted.... :D

I have to admit that it bugs me to buy an expensive game only to find out that it's not much fun. I love it when I can find low-priced games, because then I don't mind so much if we don't like them.

That's what I love about Cons! You can play games you'd hesitate to buy otherwise. Plus someone else teaches you so you don't have to wade through the directions yourself. Link to site for Board Game Conventions all over the world. 

I remember when we first got into board games.  :scared: Sticker shock! A lot of the coolest games have wood pieces and are very intricate though. We're not talking about Hasbro plastic pieces in a flimsy box. 

I could never buy the $300 Takenoko either, but an acquaintance who's well known for his video board game reviews got a copy for doing a show for the publisher, so I got to play it at the last Gaming Hoopla Con.

That headbandz game is only $2.88? I think. There's a place on amazon to click a coupon, too.

Nevermind. They deleted the sale within the 30 mins. that I was gone. lol I didn't buy it just added it to my cart and 30 mins ago it was only $2.88 with coupon. I wasn't planning on buying it, but amazon sure changes quickly. You have to jump on those sales when you see them if you really want them.