Menu

Ready for harder math but their handwriting is behind?

Tigger is seven and in the next year or two he will be ready for algebra. My concern is his handwriting because I still have to remind him about forming some of his letters properly. With my increased focus on his handwriting, it has improved, but it's still a problem and is likely to continue to be one for several years. I still scribe at least some of his math because I don't like math taking three times as long because of his sloppy handwriting.

What have other people in this situation done? Should we slow down on the math and focus heavily on handwriting for a year? I am determined to make sure he doesn't have sloppy handwriting; my brother's is so bad even he can't read it (it looks it was done by a pre-schoolers, only smaller).

I was worried about that, too-and it's one reason why I did LOF Pre-Algebra and Key to Algebra first-LOF has fairly small problem sets, but got DD used to copying problems over and working them on paper, and Key to Algebra is a workbook with a lot of white space. Both, I think,helped prepare her for AOPS, where there's a lot more writing and you need to transfer problems over and work them.

I will also say-I limit other writing. Pretty much, the only things DD writes on paper are AOPS and handwriting practice. Everything else is typed or done orally. For her research, she dictates to me or records on a digital recorder, and usually is sitting with the iPad, typing her notes on the way home.

Solutions we have used include scribing for them, using a large whiteboard, typing answers, using an ipad to zoom in on the pdf to enlarge the answer field whilst they write on it with a stylus, using interactive maths, e.g. Khan acadamy, manga high, the interactive worksheets for MEP.

We're working on handwriting at the moment, heavily -- so writing is very minimal and always supervised.

I am pulling the letter- and number- making scripts from Writing Road to Reading (we just purchased the sixth edition --if you go to Amazon and search inside for "capital letters" one of the top results lets you look at the letter and number making instructions).  The explicit instructions are helping; and here is a a clock face diagram a boardie came up with and generally shared for using Spalding letters. 

I haven't any advice, really; but we are hitting algebra here at 8 yo and I think that getting him able to write neat solutions will seriously pay off by the end of the year.  When we are working with pre-algebra it hasn't been as much of an issue IMHO. 

ETA: We are not working with a disability, and also I don't plan to stall his math education while we perfect handwriting.  However, given that A. is neurotypical and far accelerated in maths I think developing the ability to write neat, readable solutions is worth some slowing of forward math progress and that it'll be easier to develop reasonably good habits now than later.  I completely agree with other posters that it will vary between children as well as between families. 

My kids' handwriting, especially my son's, goes downhill fast when their hands get tired. We do a lot of math on the computer: (Reflex Math, Dreambox, IXL, plus various iPad math games) because I want them to focus on the math, not struggling to write the numbers.

I insist on high quality when we are doign actual handwriting lessons, but not as much when it's incidental writing for other subjects. So much of what we used to write longhand is done on computer anymore that it's not one of my higher priority lesson areas. I personally wouldn't take time away from math or reading to "catch up" on handwriting at this stage unless there was a pretty serious issue. Time enough for that when their overall fine-motor skills and stamina have developed further.

i am interested to hear that my guess, increased use of typed or computer based math is in use with many.  it makes me think of the young man with a cognitive disability in one of my classes, who could never write normally or at normal speed, even as an adult.  his computer skill however was far above average and he eventually obtained a Bill and Melinda Gates fellowship to Cambridge based upon it.

I think you have to take each child individually. Separate math and handwriting practice. Some kids can "practice" writing out longer problems and you can require a certain number to be neatly done. For others this is impossible.

My oldest is very gifted in math and also severely dysgraphic. I have scribed for him for years. At the same time he was working on algebra 2 and geometry, he was practicing writing his name small enough to fit on one page. He is working on advanced math and does almost all of it in his head. I make him dictate some of the problems to me to scribe correctly showing all the steps. He is beginning to write some of his work (as in he can't keep it all in his head). His numbers are huge and he doesn't show all the steps, just enough to keep it straight in his head. It's his scratch work. He qualifies for a scribe and will need one. For proof style problems, I have him dictate to me and I scribe and then he types up the proof. (These are proofs for USAMTS and other such - not just daily work).

I read the tip on here to do all math on graph paper for neatness & spacing. An artist friend once told me that Chinese Calligraphy students had to fold paper into neat little squares and write letters in the center of each square. I think of that when I see the math work written in little boxes on the graph paper. I don't ask that the numbers be neatly centered, but I do say, "Erase that number and write it inside the box. You made it look like a zero instead of an eight." AFAIK the graph paper habit should help with legibility in the long run. You can find different sizes of graph paper to print off online.

My kids handwriting is quite pretty.  However their speed and stamina are "below average" but better than mine.  I let them answer verbally the short questions and I don't scribe for them since it cause me to have a painful strained hand.  For long ones they write themselves and as long as it is neat I'm ok.   I let them type whatever can be typed.

My younger just explained to me that when he try to write fast, his "u" becomes an "a" and his "b" and "d" can get mixed up.  He would erase and correct without prompt.  We are getting him evaluated once hubby's new employer based family insurance plan kicks in.