Menu

Breakfast ideas? Update

amo_mea_filiis.

Dd started ps a couple weeks ago.

She NEEDS to eat in the morning, but is having trouble finding things she can eat.

We've tried eggs (but not hard boiled yet), instant breakfast drinks, toast, yogurt, sandwiches, dinner leftovers.

She needs protein before school. I can't let her get breakfast at school because it's too junky (cinnamon rolls, pop tarts, etc).

What else can we try? High protein, high calorie since she will not be getting much in.

Smoothies with protein powder or peanut butter, PB&J on rice cakes/bagel, trail mix with nuts (I had some for lunch the other day and couldn't eat dinner, surprisingly filling), or sausage patties. My picky eater needs morning protein too, and he'll eat any of these.

Hamburger patties might work too.

Dh is a person who needs a lot of protein for breakfast. Here are some of his normal breakfasts. He also likes to eat in the car on the way to work.

Egg salad in a whole wheat wrap

Peanut butter and honey sandwich (or any nut/soy butter)

Turkey or ham and cheese and spinach wrap

Omelet on whole wheat toast as a sandwich (I use a crepe pan to cook 2 eggs and fold over like an omelet then fold in half; add in cheese, meat, or other ingredients.)

The famous baked oatmeal recipe from Mrs. Mungo seems to stay with dh better than regular oatmeal, probably because of the milk and eggs in it. 

Trail mix and a chunk of cheese is my go-to breakfast when I (often) don't feel like breakfast.

Some of my favorite ingredients:

Almonds

Cashews

Cracklin' Oat Bran (or other high fiber cereal)

Cranberries/raisins/prunes/golden raisins

Dehydrated apples (homemade)

Dark chocolate chips

Coconut flakes

Baby Goldfish crackers

Banana chips

Tiramisu mentioned coffee shakes a few months ago. We've been doing that lately and it appeals even to the boys who usually won't do shakes. 

It's a few cubes of ice (optional--I haven't been doing that lately because it's cold here), protein powder (half scoop for single, full scoop for large 20oz container to be split between 3 boys), instant coffee (1-2 tsp. depending on the size of the container), and then fill with milk (or non-dairy beverage of your choice). 

Whip up in the blender. 

I've been splitting a 20-22oz container in 3 (@6-7oz per child) and they've been loving it. Coffee gives them just enough caffeine wake up (and helps center more ADD child) and protein leaves them very full. 

If she'll do cold cereal, Kashi Go Lean Crunch has a lot of protein and fiber and keeps me full (either 9 gm protein and 8gm fiber or vice versa per serving). My disabled dd likes the Jimmy Dean snack size sausage biscuits. She also loves cheese omelets or a hashbrown patty with a slice of American cheese on top (she's a big cheese lover). 

You said you have tried yogurt, but my son's go-to breakfast on school days is about 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, defrosted; over 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt; a drizzle of honey, all stirred together so it's "purple". Then a sprinkling of Cheerios over the top. The Greek yogurt packs a really nice fat and protein punch.

Are pancakes or waffles out? You can make a bunch, freeze them, and then slather them with peanut butter and bananas, like a a sandwich. I make those for Ds quite a bit, and he loves them. I like them because they are portableish, and we are peanut butter lovers here, so it works. 

I've made a variation of baked oatmeal that is more dense: like a loaf. The modification was somewhat inspired by "Hungry Girl" oat softies.

Also, it comes in Chocolate or Ginger Cookie flavours

1.5 c Quick Cooking Oats (dry)

1/4 c Sugar, Brown Sugar, or a combination with stevia at 50%

1 tsp Baking Powder

Pinch of Salt

> "Plain" = sprinkle of Cinnamon

> "Ginger Cookie" = 1 Tbsp Fancy Molasses, 1.5 tsp Ginger Powder, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp Cloves

> "Chocolate Brownie" = 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

1/4 c Apple Sauce

1 Tbsp Melted Butter

1/2 c Liquid Egg Whites (or 2 Eggs)

1 tsp Vanilla (but none for Ginger version)

Bake at 350 in 8" square or round glass or ceramic dish (cooking spray to prevent sticking)

25 minutes

Remind me what she can't eat again? I don't want to make bad suggestions.

Allergy wise- no restrictions. She just can't/doesn't want to eat in the morning.

When she was home she'd wake up slowly, shower slowly, and get around to eating at some point.

Now with ps, she gets up at 6 and needs to be out the door by 7:25.

She didn't eat lunch today either! She ate her lunch on the bus on the way home and had 2 sandwiches the moment she walked in! I think she's not used to eating on a schedule and can't eat when she doesn't feel like it, but then doesn't have access to food when she does want it.

I stopped arguing with her and she went to school yesterday not having had any breakfast or anything to drink.

She said she felt so sick by the time home room was over! She said the run down sick feeling lasted all day, even after lunch.

She says she will not fight me so much over breakfast and will try harder to eat what I make for her. She said the forced eating in the morning is less crappy than the way she felt without eating.

I will be trying all the ideas! Thank you.

I have never been a big "breakfast" person, especially when I was in school.  Eggs made me  :ack2:  especially in the morning (still do) and I just couldn't eat much when I first got up.  I could handle other foods a little bit better.  I remember eating most of my breakfasts in the car on the way to school.  My mom gave up on feeding me breakfast foods and would fix me things like cheeseburger, peanut butter sandwich, pizza or ham and cheese pocket, corn dog etc.  Maybe not as healthy but it got me to eat something and feel better.