Menu

Sharing More about changes to ACT and SAT

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/education/edlife/what-the-new-sat-and-digital-act-might-look-like.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=edlife

I was aware of the changes to the SAT in the works and the ACT moving strong into the public school yearly testing markets.  What I did not know until this article is the move to have the ACT digitized by 2015.  I hope if they do so, they also produce some practice opportunities that will be accessible to homeschoolers. 

About a third of schools don’t have the capacity to accommodate all their students in a computer lab or other lockdown setting,

I would be very surprised if it were true that two thirds of the schools do have this capacity. Computer labs usually hold a class of 30 or so - which school does have the capacity for its entire Junior class at the same time?

I see the major obstacle to digitization in the lack of testing computers. It will not be feasible to move to a computer-only model while still making the test widely available. I am not holding my breath that this will actually happen in the next few years. One of the issues is access: if they want to increase college access to low income students, they can't have a testing setup that excludes poor high schools. Which, in effect, this change to digital would be.

The ACT is often tauted as the good guy and the SAT as the bad guy.  I actually have thought having two different tests with different approaches is a good option for students.  The pressure for the SAT to become more ACT-like makes me wince a bit. 

I apologize if this was addressed in the article (NYT would let me read only the first page without registering), but does the computerized ACT mean the whole test, as in the passages and questions, are on a screen? Or would the student have a paper copy he could mark but then enter answers on the computer?

If it's all computerized, I'll be fascinated to see the effects. Maybe some kids do just fine reading their passages on a screen, but it was really difficult for my son when he was doing some of those online practices. He liked to be able to underline, summarize paragraphs in the margins, etc. Would that be all gone?

If it's all computerized, I'll be fascinated to see the effects. Maybe some kids do just fine reading their passages on a screen, but it was really difficult for my son when he was doing some of those online practices. He liked to be able to underline, summarize paragraphs in the margins, etc. Would that be all gone?

My youngest is the same way. She seems to think more deeply about a question when she reads it on paper instead of a screen. Math or science (like physics this year) are about equal, paper vs screen, but I can really see a difference with English or history questions.

My youngest is the same way. She seems to think more deeply about a question when she reads it on paper instead of a screen. Math or science (like physics this year) are about equal, paper vs screen, but I can really see a difference with English or history questions.

Many of the grad and professional school tests (GRE, LSAT, MCAT) are all computerized now. I agree it is different to read on the screen, but it is the way of the future for testing. Being able to type answers is easier for many students so that is a bonus.

The ACT is often tauted as the good guy and the SAT as the bad guy.  I actually have thought having two different tests with different approaches is a good option for students.  The pressure for the SAT to become more ACT-like makes me wince a bit. 

As the article said, "for the first time last year, the ACT surpassed the SAT in market share."  This is about the College Board fearing the upstart competition.

I used to teach ACT prep every once in a while, but found it unnecessary for most kids.  If the SAT goes that way, I might have to start selling brownies instead.

It just seems ridiculous to me that so many schools are switching to electronic everything while the computers at schools are still terrible. I live in a quite well off part of town, but all the schools around us still have really old computers that barely work. I also definitely don't understand how there's room in a computer lab. Again, maybe it's just near me, but the computer lab fits one class, so even if you were only going to give a test to one grade there wouldn't be enough room.

Again, maybe it's just near me, but the computer lab fits one class, so even if you were only going to give a test to one grade there wouldn't be enough room.

:iagree:

I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but my local high school has never offered the SAT or ACT.  Kids from many school districts all go to the same high school to take the SAT and ACT tests.  Even if this high school had enough computers for its own study body to access at the same time during a school day (which is not the case), there is no way this high school would have enough computers to accomodate the hundreds of out of district students who would take the SAT/ACT test there on a Saturday.

It just seems ridiculous to me that so many schools are switching to electronic everything while the computers at schools are still terrible. I live in a quite well off part of town, but all the schools around us still have really old computers that barely work. I also definitely don't understand how there's room in a computer lab. Again, maybe it's just near me, but the computer lab fits one class, so even if you were only going to give a test to one grade there wouldn't be enough room.

Yes, me too.  My oldest took the National Spanish 3 exam last year at a local high school.  I had administered the Nat'l Latin Exam (no, actually I taught and my friend administered!) a few years ago, so I had thought that was how the NSE would be, but no, it was completely different.  Anyway, it took a whole lot of hassle to get our kids registered for it, and it was administered by computer.  The high school had a big room with laptops, but my son's laptop didn't work!  His screen didn't say what it was supposed to say.  The teacher came over to try to help, but she didn't know much either.  My son was mortified that everyone was gawking at him.  Eventually everyone else started, and he got moved to a different computer, but he definitely lost some time, and then the teacher stood over him for a little while to make sure the computer was working correctly, which also flustered him . . . it was very stressful, and NOT a good experience at all!  I can NOT imagine having that scenario for something that really counted, like an SAT or ACT!  What a NIGHTMARE!

(And we live in a very wealthy area--Northern VA--where typically no expense is spared for schools.  And the computers still were troublesome!)

Honestly, they could just ship tablets loaded with the tests to the schools and use something like thumbprint recognition for security.  Tablet costs are not that high for the basic versions needed to do a single purpose (and could be re-used for several years, downloaded upon return to storage servers and reused several times per year).  If they really want to do it, there are ways to do so regardless of each school's in house tech. 

The quote from the article...for those who can't reach page 2:  "Starting in 2015, the ACT will be available on a computer as well as, for the time being, on paper.  Those who take the tet on a computer will see a new breed of questions - free-response questions in which students manipulate on-screen images to form their conclusions.  In one sample question, students move a plunger on a cylindrical gas tank to change gas pressure and temperature.  They then write a few sentences describing the relationship between distance and pressure and between temperature and pressure, and graph those relationships..." (NY Times)

I'd agree with all of you on computer access being troublesome, but I think that discounts the widely used smart phones and tablets. In two to three more years, one wonders if perhaps you bring your own device & there is some sort of Wi-Fi-ish signal that you can log into to get your particular test copy. You would indicate on your registration what sort of device you would bring with you- checking the compatibility list they provide or say that you'll need to borrow one from the testing site. Some of the poorest families in my small town have a smart phone. 

I know someone who filed for bankruptcy a few years ago who is still paying on it & he has a smart phone & an iPad. Who's to say what the future will hold in terms of accessibility?

(I'm completely against going to all-computer access to these tests, BTW. I just think it might be the way of the future regardless of what I want.)

I'd agree with all of you on computer access being troublesome, but I think that discounts the widely used smart phones and tablets. In two to three more years, one wonders if perhaps you bring your own device & there is some sort of Wi-Fi-ish signal that you can log into to get your particular test copy. You would indicate on your registration what sort of device you would bring with you- checking the compatibility list they provide or say that you'll need to borrow one from the testing site. Some of the poorest families in my small town have a smart phone.

Taking the test on the student's own device opens even more cans of worms with respect to cheating. It will be virtually impossible to police student owned devices.

I didn't read the article.

I took the computerized GRE in 2002 or 2003. There were no set testing dates, so I could schedule it for whenever I wanted (which was not at 8am). The test was adapative, meaning it changed the difficulty level of questions based on how I did. If I remember correctly, this meant that the test was shorter than the old paper GRE.

I think there are some potential benefits, such as instant scoring (for some parts), being able to take the test at a day and time that is more convenient for each student, and possibly a shorter test. It seems like everyone is assuming that students will continue to take the test in large groups on set dates when that wouldn't be needed anymore.

I didn't read the article.

I took the computerized GRE in 2002 or 2003. There were no set testing dates, so I could schedule it for whenever I wanted (which was not at 8am). The test was adapative, meaning it changed the difficulty level of questions based on how I did. If I remember correctly, this meant that the test was shorter than the old paper GRE.

I think there are some potential benefits, such as instant scoring (for some parts), being able to take the test at a day and time that is more convenient for each student, and possibly a shorter test. It seems like everyone is assuming that students will continue to take the test in large groups on set dates when that wouldn't be needed anymore.

I took the GRE in 1997 under similar computerized conditions. One thing about the adapting questions is you can't skip one and come back later. So strategies for the SAT that encourag skipping longer readings or harder questions in order to answer more easier questions wouldn't apply.

"Starting in 2015, the ACT will be available on a computer as well as, for the time being, on paper.  Those who take the tet on a computer will see a new breed of questions - free-response questions in which students manipulate on-screen images to form their conclusions.  In one sample question, students move a plunger on a cylindrical gas tank to change gas pressure and temperature.  They then write a few sentences describing the relationship between distance and pressure and between temperature and pressure, and graph those relationships..." (NY Times)

Are they really intending to administer two totally different tests, with totally different formats and report them both as the ACT?

Many of the grad and professional school tests (GRE, LSAT, MCAT) are all computerized now. I agree it is different to read on the screen, but it is the way of the future for testing. Being able to type answers is easier for many students so that is a bonus.

The driver's test has moved to computers (actually online is questionable, as you still have to make an appointment, go to the DMV, wait in line, and take it).  It does not seem to have adopted any of these benefits, but did adopt this drawback:

One thing about the adapting questions is you can't skip one and come back later.

One would like to hope, that if they do digitize it, they do it right.

There are iPads and laptops purchased for both Technology classes and for the new Common Core tests. My neighborhood school k-8 school gym can sit at least 90 kids. The middle schools and high schools have gyms. With all the gyms utilized, there would be enough room for all to take ACT at the same time.

Maybe ACT is piggy backing on Common Core computer test adoption.

ETA:

Can't find how many took ACT for my school district

How do kids take tests in a gym? Are a ton of tables put in there or what?

The gym/multipurpose hall has plenty of tables and chairs and is actually use for state standardized tests. The tables and chairs are foldable and put away when not in used. I just check the nearby K-8 school has more computers than students per grade level.

A friend's child's middle school just issued each child with a loaner tablet. My opinion is that ACT would tweak their digital test based on how "smoothly" the common core tests roll out.

The gym/multipurpose hall has plenty of tables and chairs and is actually use for state standardized tests. The tables and chairs are foldable and put away when not in used. I just check the nearby K-8 school has more computers than students per grade level.

A friend's child's middle school just issued each child with a loaner tablet. My opinion is that ACT would tweak their digital test based on how "smoothly" the common core tests roll out.

Again, I wasn't saying there aren't schools with significant technology. I was simply saying there are a lot that either don't have the money or put the money towards different things.

The driver's test has moved to computers (actually online is questionable, as you still have to make an appointment, go to the DMV, wait in line, and take it).  It does not seem to have adopted any of these benefits, but did adopt this drawback:

One would like to hope, that if they do digitize it, they do it right.

It is possible on the current GED to mark questions and navigate back to them. My son took it this summer and said it was easy to manage.

There was a period where the GRE was "computer adaptive" meaning it gave harder or easier questions based on the student's performance. This was changed a few years ago.