Menu

What gluten free flour should I use in soup?

praisefor3

My favorite beef stew calls for 1/2 cup flour to mix with the butter.  I am assuming this is for thickening.  I am new to this whole gf thing especially in cooking.  What flour should I use in it or should I use xanthem gum (or whatever that is called.)  If so, do I use the same ratio?  I really don't like the consistency of that stuff but if you think it is important I will use it.

I have a lentil sop recipe that adds potatoes. The whole point of the potatoes is so they can thicken the soup when it is puréed. If your stew calls for potatoes, you could try removing some, pureeing them, then adding them back to the pot to add some thickness.

A little tapioca might also do the trick if you keep that on hand.

If you want to mix the flour in with the butter like that, you can use corn flour, corn meal, sweet rice flour, or a mix.  

You do not need xanthan gum in the stew, but you can use it

For corn starch, its easier to mix it with a small amount of water and add towards the end of the cooking time.  Usually you need half as much corn starch as flour for thickening.

My favorite beef stew calls for 1/2 cup flour to mix with the butter.  I am assuming this is for thickening.  I am new to this whole gf thing especially in cooking.  What flour should I use in it or should I use xanthem gum (or whatever that is called.)  If so, do I use the same ratio?  I really don't like the consistency of that stuff but if you think it is important I will use it.

If you use xanthan gum, do NOT use 1/2 cup of it.  The results would be inedible.  You would need only a small amount but I couldn't say for sure how small, because I've never tried thickening stew with xanthan gum.  But definitely not 1/2 cup. 

I subbed equivalent amounts of brown rice flour in the vegetable filling part of a pot pie recipe (crust is made with GF flour) and it worked just fine.

I use Xanthum gum to thicken my soups.  It usually only takes about  1/2 a tsp or maybe more to thicken.  Add it directly to the hot soup (no need to make a roux) and wisk it.  Give it a few min. for it to thicken up before adding more if you need it.

I like the garbanzo bean flour idea. I'm definitely looking for that one.