Menu

Fantasy Fiction Authors

eaglei

For those of you who read adult fantasy fiction, who are your favorite authors / who do you consider the current most prominent/popular authors?  (This is a work-related question for a reading genre that is so-not-mine).

Thank you!  I will appreciate any suggestions/help!

My favorite fantasy fiction authors aren't necessarily the most prominent and popular.

The most popular of the genre I think are Cassandra Clara, Suzanne Collins, Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, China Mieville, Stephen King and J.K. Rowling to name a few.

I like Cassandra Clara and Stephen KIng,  but general my preferences run to less popular like Marion Zimmer Bradley, Charles De Lint, Kate Elliot, Christine Feehan, Laurell K. Hamilton, Mercedes Lackey, Frank Peretti and Joel Rosenberg.  

My favorite fantasy fiction authors aren't necessarily the most prominent and popular.

The most popular of the genre I think are Cassandra Clara, Suzanne Collins, Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, China Mieville, Stephen King and J.K. Rowling to name a few.

I like Cassandra Clara and Stephen KIng,  but general my preferences run to less popular like Marion Zimmer Bradley, Charles De Lint, Kate Elliot, Christine Feehan, Laurell K. Hamilton, Mercedes Lackey, Frank Peretti and Joel Rosenberg.  

Thank You!

Some of these authors I'm familiar with - they are constantly signed out of the library!  (For example, Clara, Martin, King, Collins).  Others, I'm not aware of, so I will check them - see what we have, what the circulation is like, and check Fantastic Fiction to see what's new with them to see what the library needs.

I really appreciate your help!

Anyone else who wishes to weigh in - please do!  I have a huge list to sort through and don't know where to start.  I am going to start with the authors that members of the Hive recommend!

Thanks, again, Mytwoblessings!

Some of these may not be the most 'current', but they are generally quite popular & (most) are ones I like too....

Neil Gaiman

Terry Pratchett

Kevin Hearne

Walter Moers

Tim Powers

Roger Zelazny

Steven Brust

David Wong

Gail Carriger

Mark Hodder

Erin Morgenstern

Jim Butcher

Of newer authors, Sharon Shinn is a current favorite of mine.

I feel a lot of frustration with some fantasy authors - Mercedes Lackey is one - who are still writing, but whose quality has gone down so dramatically isn't just borderline pathetic.  Another is Katherine Kurtz.  I loved her Deryni series years ago, but she's added a couple in the last decade that were unreadable.

Robert Jordan (though he is now deceased)

Brandon Sanderson- this author finished Robert Jordan's popular series, Wheel of Time, but is an amazing author in his own right.  How he comes up with and builds his magic systems for each new story is nothing short of amazing.  He also has a great command of dialogue and sucks me into every new world he creates.   I also consider him a pioneer of sorts, because he actively interacts with his fans using social media.  I highly, highly recommend his Mistborn series, Elantris, and Warbreaker to start. 

Thank you, everyone!  

I will make a document list of the authors you recommended and forward it to my work e-mail so I can begin checking tomorrow.  Most of the authors you mentioned are not familiar to me, so I have my work cut out for me!!!

Someone mentioned that some authors are more for YA (young adult) - yes, I've noticed that; for example, Cassandra Clare is classed as YA, but the adults also read her books.

I knew I could count on you-all for help!  Thanks, again!

Of newer authors, Sharon Shinn is a current favorite of mine.

I feel a lot of frustration with some fantasy authors - Mercedes Lackey is one - who are still writing, but whose quality has gone down so dramatically isn't just borderline pathetic.  Another is Katherine Kurtz.  I loved her Deryni series years ago, but she's added a couple in the last decade that were unreadable.

I have observed that some writers only have so many books in them. However if they have enough books to establish a reputation, they will still keep getting published. 

Thank you, everyone!  

I will make a document list of the authors you recommended and forward it to my work e-mail so I can begin checking tomorrow.  Most of the authors you mentioned are not familiar to me, so I have my work cut out for me!!!

Someone mentioned that some authors are more for YA (young adult) - yes, I've noticed that; for example, Cassandra Clare is classed as YA, but the adults also read her books.

I knew I could count on you-all for help!  Thanks, again!

On YA, times change. When Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game it was consider very violent. It won the Hugo and Nebula awards which are both adult awards. But now I notice some folks consider it a YA book.