Menu

Parakeet or Cockatiel?

sparrow

My MIL gave us a parakeet about 6 years ago because it was viciously attacking her other parakeets. She needed to be an only bird.  My son would love to be able to interact with her, but her years of no handling, and general attitude, are hands-off.

The last of my MIL's parakeets died last week and she's giving us their large cage. I would love to get my son a hand raised bird that he could bond with and train. What are your thoughts on parakeets and cockatiels?  My husband had both growing up and he said he found cockatiels to be too demanding for attention at times, and while it was cute at first, the screaming for neck scratches became very annoying!  On the other hand, they had an English budgie that had a ton of personality and was more laid back.  Of course he's basing his opinion on his experience. What are your overall thoughts on these birds in your experience?

So you're saying you won't be getting a SPARROW??? :svengo:

;)

Actually, I know nothing about keeping birds as pets, but I figured I'd give your thread a bump for those who do.

Personally, I think cockatiels are cooler than parakeets, but again, I'm clueless so don't listen to me, :)

I've had two parakeets and have enjoyed them.  the first one started out being very good at handling, but then she changed and she liked her cage more and more and was not as easy to handle.  The one we have now is super friendly.   But, I specifically asked the raiser which parakeet had the sweetest personality and she choose this one.

When I was deciding between a Budgie and a Cockatiel there were several things I decided between.  Noise level (hate lots of noisey squawking), mess, longevity (I didn't know how long *I* wanted to keep a pet), friendliness, and trainability (I did like the idea of having a bird that talked a little).  In the end, noise and longevity trumped trainability.  The others seemed about the same depending on the specific bird.

Good luck with your decision... and post of a photo when you get one or the other!

We've had both.

Cockatiels can be louder BUT I think they are easier to teach to speak - especially if you have a young one. Our best experience with birds was with a cockatiel. He learned to say several things and  would easily sit on your finger or shoulder. Very nice bird.

Budgies (parakeets) are smaller and quieter but we found them to be harder to train. Maybe it was just the individual bird?

Whichever one you choose, I'd try to get a young one and plan on spending a lot of time with it.

I've had parakeets and cockatiels in the past.  In my experience, the parakeets tended to be a little more nervous and didn't like being handled as much as the tiels.  Both of my tiels loved coming out of the cage, perching on my hand or shoulder, and walking around with me.  The parakeets never ever tolerated that, despite my best effort.

I have no experience with Cockatiels. When I was a boy, I had 2 Parakeets (not at the same time). That was a *long* time ago and we bought a record, to try to teach them how to speak. No luck, with either of them, learning how to talk...

One of them broke a leg. Well, dumb us, we took it to the vet. The vet. put a piece of adhesive tape over the break, for a splint, and I don't know what that cost...

We had a Parrot who died, last November, a week before his 49th birthday. They are pretty smart... My wife always gave him a bit of her Breakfast, and what we were eating. I remember him eating Pizza... Some of them can live to be 70 years old...

We were given 2 other (young) parrots, but my wife released them and they are now in a  flock of wild parrots that live in our huge rural subdivision. Sometimes, the flock arrives in our backyard and they are a very noisy bunch of visitors, while they are here! I believe there are approximately 50 in that flock.

GL with whatever you choose! 

Thanks for your input!  I think ds is leaning toward a parakeet, because that is what he's used to, but it seems natural to me that a cockatiel would be a little less flighty since they are larger birds.

I'm just fascinated by tame pet birds. It seems so special to have this wild creature, that can FLY, willingly sit on your finger or shoulder.

I had several parakeets growing up all could be handled but none really enjoyed it. My friend had a rescue cockatiel that was tons of fun. Huge parrot sized personality in a little bird.

Lanny, we had a parrot for years. Ours ate what we did. Loved spaghetti and tacos. Wonderful pet! :) I envy you -- wild parrots in the yard. I can't tell you how much I would love that.

I had several parakeets growing up all could be handled but none really enjoyed it. My friend had a rescue cockatiel that was tons of fun. Huge parrot sized personality in a little bird.

Lanny, we had a parrot for years. Ours ate what we did. Loved spaghetti and tacos. Wonderful pet! :) I envy you -- wild parrots in the yard. I can't tell you how much I would love that.

Spaghetti and tacos. Ours probably ate spaghetti.  I will tell my wife!   We live between 2 ranges of the Andes mountains, in a Tropical Valley. I believe there are approximately 45 species of birds who live in or frequent our subdivision. In the mountains to our West (the base of those mountains is approximately 10 or 15 air miles from our house) there are probably 500 varieties of birds. So, yes, you would love it here! Visit the Colombia.Travel web site...

Our neighbors on the street behind us have some kind of bird and his name is "Gringo".  My wife frequently calls it.  "gringo, gringo, gringo..."

Our parakeet will eat what we do too - if we let her.  I've told people that she thinks she's a dog.  If we leave her cage open during dinner she flies over to the table and starts trying to get on our plates.... not really something I want her to do.  I will leave my breakfast out on the table in front of her cage, when I'm done, and she'll come and eat it. 

Mine is also super-social.  If I'm out for a while and come home, she'll poke her body out of her cage and call me to come and get her.  She'll sit on my shoulder and "talk" to my chin and groom it.  She's very loving.    Sometimes she's skiddish about "the hand".  Especially if she's in her cage.  It's like she's playing a  "come-here, come here, go away" game with my hand.  She wants to, but she's afraid.  If I just swoop my hand under her she'll just get right on it, but if I try to follow her around the cage, then  yeah, she gets upset.  If she's on my shoulder and happy and I try to touch her with my hand, she'll move away and make gestures like she's going to peck at it. 

I can't compare the two, but my daughter got a cockatiel a few months ago and we are so pleased with him!

He was hand tame when we got him, and he will step up for anyone. This was the primary factor in our choice to get a cockatiel - unlike most parrots. they are supposed to be friendly with everyone, not just choose 1 or 2 favorites, so they make a good family pet. I didn't want to risk that my daughter's bird would not choose her as his favorite! Also, my daughter is primarily responsible for his care now, but one day when she goes off to college I want him to be happy with the rest of us.

It takes him about 3 days to decide to trust anyone new to scratch his neck, but now when he is in the mood he will put his head down to ask for neck scratches. He can be very cuddly, sitting on our fingers, chest or shoulders to preen himself and us. He really likes to sit with us. He will "bite" at us if we're doing something he doesn't want, but it's just using his beak to warn, not true bites - he doesn't hurt us or draw blood or anything.

He has about 3 noisy periods per day when he will sing and chatter. He can get quite loud if we're out of his sight & he's trying to call us. Sometimes he is trying to get our attention to get him out of his cage, and once he's out he'll quiet down. Other times he just wants to sing. Between those times, he'll be quiet - preening & sleeping. He also sings if he's sitting looking out the window, or when he sees himself in the bathroom mirror.

When we got him, he knew how to wolf whistle and say "Step Up." We've taught him to sing Jingle Bells.

He is not messy at all. I was concerned about feather dust, and if you have on a black T-shirt and he sits on you to preen, you will see the fine white powder left behind. But most of the time we don't even notice it. My husband has very mild asthma and it hasn't been enough to bother him.

He's been a great little pet!

Many years ago, my boss asked me to look after his three cockatiels while he was on vacation for three weeks.  After the first day, I had become a lifelong detester of cockatiels.  They are raucous and unbelievably messy.  Incorrigibly annoying birds.

In contrast, I have looked after my friend's parakeets numerous times, with pleasure.