Menu

If you make your own vanilla, where do you buy your beans?

ScoutTN

I have been meaning to ask this, but why would I make my own vanilla? I buy the good stuff from Williams-Sonoma. Is homemade better than that?

Sorry if this is derailing, but I wonder this every time the homemade vanilla questions come up.

The cost is what drives me. For an initial $12 in beans and the cost of dirt cheap vodka, I have an almost infinite supply of vanilla. We bake a lot and LOVE vanilla, so we were spending nearly that much each month before we made our own!

I bought my beans on Amazon.

I have been meaning to ask this, but why would I make my own vanilla? I buy the good stuff from Williams-Sonoma. Is homemade better than that?

Sorry if this is derailing, but I wonder this every time the homemade vanilla questions come up.

My vanilla is on par with the good stuff from William's Sonoma or Penzey's Spices but for a fraction of the cost. I initially made 75 bottles a few years back to give as gifts for somewhere in between $80-$100 total. My graphic designer husband was able to make me a cute, personalized label, we tied ribbon around them and had the perfect gift for teachers, coaches, neighbors, friends, etc.

That said, I do think homemade vanilla should age for as long as possible. You could make it now and give it for Christmas gifts this year, and it will be fine. However, for spectacular vanilla I'd make it now and give it away as gifts *next* year. Last year, seeing that I was done to my last few bottles of vanilla from three years ago, I started a another big batch of extract. I'm just about to start using it.

I like to make vanilla sugar, to use with my Austrian cookie recipes. I bought my last vanilla beans at Costco.

( Similar process: several cups of sugar, one vanilla bean, and an airtight container. Store for six weeks or so before using the first time. Replace the sugar used, for a nearly perpetual supply. Vanilla beans seem to come two to a jar, so I usually make one batch with granulated sugar, and one with powdered/ confectioners sugar.)