Menu

Woooo-hoooo!!!! Usa!!

I love the Olympics, I really do. This is the only time that my television is on pretty much the whole day.

Wow!! So exciting!

The Australians put in a great race, too. I thought they were going to take it there for a while and I hoped that they would beat the French.

This is her 5th Olympics (German team)!

I can't imagine, I do a cartwheel and stuff hurts.

:lol:

I am surprised that she can still do it, too. The young girls are plagued by injuries so you can only imagine what it must be like for an older lady. God bless her!

This is her 5th Olympics (German team)!

I can't imagine, I do a cartwheel and stuff hurts.

OK - I just watched her. Holy Cow!!!!! I am pretty sure I would wet my pants on the landings. Like you, Heather, my kids think it's a big deal if I do a cartwheel or walk on my hands - and it gets more painful with each passing year. I hope my grandkids will be satisfied with a somersault.

That woman is incredible. I'd love to see her get a medal.

OK - I just watched her. Holy Cow!!!!! I am pretty sure I would wet my pants on the landings. Like you, Heather, my kids think it's a big deal if I do a cartwheel or walk on my hands - and it gets more painful with each passing year. I hope my grandkids will be satisfied with a somersault.

I can still do walk over's but I pay for it later! Kids do get a hoot out of it.

Her story was interesting as well.

Did anyone notice Michael Phelps rather indiscreet swimming suit situation when he was cheering on Lezak? I think I know why the call him Superman.;)

:rofl: I did! In light of recent Olympic clothing threads, though, I chose to keep it to myself.;)

Superman...:lol:

OK - I just watched her. Holy Cow!!!!! I am pretty sure I would wet my pants on the landings.

:lol: Bladder control just isn't what it used to be huh, Amy?;) I still worry that I will pee my pants when I sneeze!

Did anyone else see that swimming relay?

Awesome!!

I was standing on the couch screaming, "GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!":D

Pride goes before the fall, France!

I knoooooooow!!!!!!

I am so glad that my yelling and cheering didn't wake up anybody in my family. I just watched that video replay over and over and it was an amazing race.

"We just came here to beat the Americans."

Ahem.

Well I guess you came for nothing.:glare:

I love the Olympics, I really do. This is the only time that my television is on pretty much the whole day.

Wow!! So exciting!

The Australians put in a great race, too. I thought they were going to take it there for a while and I hoped that they would beat the French.

You know, when I heard about the snarky attitude of those French swimmers I thought that I'd be equally happy if Australia or USA beat them. Well, I'm happier that it was the USA, but I just don't like that attitude at all so even if we hadn't been in the race I would've cheered against France. Poor sportsmanship bugs me.

:lol:

I am surprised that she can still do it, too. The young girls are plagued by injuries so you can only imagine what it must be like for an older lady. God bless her!

You know, I did see that 33 yo gymnast and I thought it interesting that she didn't have any kind of wrist bands or knee bandages, etc. and the very young USA team had all kinds of support/bandage devices.

And I too saw the men's relay!! I was cheering so loud that my dc that had been sent to bed (and were wanting to stay up and watch) all flew out of their rooms when they heard me. Oooppps!

Yeah, I wondered if the USA mens team pushed themselves that much harder just to stick it to the French team for their boastful comment! I say, "Thanks France for those fightin' words!!" Did you hear one of the USA team guys after the win when they were still screaming and cheering? One of them said, "Now that's what I'm talkin' about!" It was a great moment!!

our Olympic coverage is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! We can't get any of the main events, we get women's weight lifting and things like that. No gymnastics, no swimming, no diving, nothing. Air guns we have, weight lifting we have, but, no soccer or basket ball. Nothing. It's a bummer because we love the olympics here in our family and we are totally missing it all.

Is there somewhere online we can view some of these events?

Did anyone else see that swimming relay?

Awesome!!

I was standing on the couch screaming, "GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!":D

Pride goes before the fall, France!

:lol: Exactly! I LOVED it! My dh was yelling, "He's gonna make it, he's gonna do it! He DID it!!! :lol: I was amazed, cuz he was behind until the last little bit! Now THAT was exciting!!! That and annihilating the record! GO USA!

Did you see the 33 year old gymnast!?
We saw that! I was amazed! How can a person be 33 and married with at least one child and do that??? She was great! I'm impressed! I had just been telling my kids that swimming was good cuz it lasted longer than, say, gymnastics. Most gymnasts are done by the end of their teens! Then my ds14 said, "Mom, guess how old that gymnast is?" They'd just been talking about how young some of the Chinese gymnasts looked, and that they didn't look 16. So I guessed 16. "Nope, she's 33!" WHAT?!!! :tongue_smilie:

Even though he as only been swimming with DS's swim organization for less than a year. My boys have had a chance to meet him and get his autography, and even just that small personal connection makes the Olympics about 10 times more fun for them. I am sooooo happy for our boys!

Wow! That is so exciting!!

My sister and I once drove 5 hours to meet Nancy Kerrigan (pre leg whacking:D) and from then on we felt like she was "ours", too.

Even though he as only been swimming with DS's swim organization for less than a year. My boys have had a chance to meet him and get his autography, and even just that small personal connection makes the Olympics about 10 times more fun for them. I am sooooo happy for our boys!

Wow! That is so exciting!!

My sister and I once drove 5 hours to meet Nancy Kerrigan (pre leg whacking:D) and from then on we felt like she was "ours", too.

I know what you mean. I "have" someone competing there too. Her name is Anna (Mickelson) Cummins. She went to my old church. She won a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics and when she came back she wore it to church one Wednesday night and let all the kids touch it, wear it, and ask her questions.

This will be her final Olympics, and I'm cheering her on from here!

I think I'll start a thread about Olympic athletes we know or have met. :auto:

That race had to be the most exciting sporting event I've seen in a long time! My ds missed is because it was aired long after his bedtime, but I just found it on NBC's website and he got to cheer them on, too. Not quite as exciting since he knew how the race ended, but still...

In ds's TaeKwonDo class, they talk about giving 110%. I told him that these US swimmers truly gave 110%, and I wanted him to see what that looks like. He was really impressed.

That race had to be the most exciting sporting event I've seen in a long time! My ds missed is because it was aired long after his bedtime, but I just found it on NBC's website and he got to cheer them on, too. Not quite as exciting since he knew how the race ended, but still...

In ds's TaeKwonDo class, they talk about giving 110%. I told him that these US swimmers truly gave 110%, and I wanted him to see what that looks like. He was really impressed.

Do you have a link?

our Olympic coverage is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! We can't get any of the main events, we get women's weight lifting and things like that. No gymnastics, no swimming, no diving, nothing. Air guns we have, weight lifting we have, but, no soccer or basket ball. Nothing. It's a bummer because we love the olympics here in our family and we are totally missing it all.

Is there somewhere online we can view some of these events?

If you can get to this site, they have lots of video available and tons of information about the Olympics...and not just the Americans.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html

Wow!! So exciting!

The first guy on the Australian team went out so fast, I think they said that he gets credit for a new 100m freestyle record -- which coincidentally smashes Bernard's existing world record in the 100m free.

And...they lost the relay too. So Alain Bernard had one stinking awful day.

Amazing race. Five of the teams were under the world record. Imagine breaking the world record and finishing 5th, not even getting a medal....

We sooo love the Olympics here too. We watch all of it from the archery and badminton to the sculling and equestrian. Ds are seeing sports they've never even heard of, and lots of countries' flags too. The coverage is a bit more diverse this time around and thank heavens NBC isn't doing that stupid payperview thing they did last time.