Menu

Why? Why? A vent about bras.

snickerplum

I need some bras. After 4 children I need some really good support. Why do good supportive (and attractive - hello?!) bras need to cost so much? I really don't like having to shell out over $60 for one bra. I feel like bra manufacturers know larger-busted ladies are desperate and will pay whatever. So not fair.
Okay. I'm done. Off to search ebay. :)

I've been able to find my expensive bra (Panache Tango II, retails $55+) for under $25-30 on amazon marketplace.  Honestly, I would gladly pay twice that for the comfort and support they provide.  They hold up well and I can wear them all day!  It took me 30 years to find the right bra and I won't ever go back to department store bras.

I've been able to find my expensive bra (Panache Tango II, retails $55+) for under $25-30 on amazon marketplace.  Honestly, I would gladly pay twice that for the comfort and support they provide.  They hold up well and I can wear them all day!  It took me 30 years to find the right bra and I won't ever go back to department store bras.

It's ridiculous, I agree. Especially when you consider the fact that about 90% of women are wearing the wrong size because it's just what's readily available. I can't even buy my size at regular department stores.

I know. And I don't do Victoria's Secret - don't want their mail and they don't carry my size. I was in Victoria's Secret with a friend so she could make a purchase and the lady asked me if I wanted a fitting. I said "no thank you - you don't carry my size". She asked what my size was and when I told her she looked at my chest and snarked, "Well, you must hide it very well." Uh, pardon me? She was either implying that I lied or that I'm smaller busted than I think I am. I was fitted professionally by someone who wasn't trying to fit me in a size they carry in-stock.

I think some bras are more expensive because the manufacturer makes a large range of sizes.  For example, I wear a 30FF.  The bra I wear comes in sizes from 28D - to 44J  (60 different sizes if you look at Amazon).  Victoria Secret bra's only come up to 44DDD.  Many store brands don't go above D cups.  If they go above D, they are 36 or above.  Way too big for me.  

Go get professionally measured at a lingerie specialty shop. The more expensive bras are much better made and more comfortable. I buy one or two at the shop (supporting local business!) and once I wear them for a week or so, order more of my favorite online. I found the shop I go to by googling. It was in a shopping center I've driven past a thousand times but had no idea it was even there.

I've been explaining to DD lately how to evaluate whether the cost of an item is worth it or not.  We have discussed that how many times you will wear the item, including the length of time you will get out of it, increases the value of the item.  I would say that a good quality, well-fitted bra would be worth every bit of $60 if that is what you have to pay to get it.  The value is not just the bra itself, but the usage and comfort/enjoyment. 

It would be easy to spend $60 on a special occasion dress (for a wedding or party) and not think much about it, although you would wear it what?  Maybe once a year?  So spending $60 for a bra that you would wear often is very reasonable.

(DD's coveted 5 inch heels that she would have no place to wear, on the other hand, did not meet the criteria for value.... :glare: )

Wow. I'm floored by these prices. I think $10 at Wal Mart is too much!

This! I have been wearing Hanes or Fruit of the Loom cotton sports bras from Wal Mart for years, $8 for a 2-pack. I buy 6-8 of them (about $30) and they last a year or so.

Lately I've been thinking about getting a more supportive, better fitting bra at least for high-impact exercise, but I was considering Bali and Jockey to be "expensive, fancy" brands to look into. How did you ladies even discover the existence of $60 bras?! Mind blowing.

Some of us have sizes that just don't exist in department stores.  Fruit of the Loom doesn't come anywhere near my size.  I also pay minimum (non-sale price) $60 but they last for years, are comfortable and well, there really isn't any other option.  If I want to wear the right size, that's what I have to pay.

I agree a professional fitting at a lingerie shop is a must.  No dept store has ever fit me right.  Lane Bryant said I was a 40D.  I'm actually a 34J, yeah that's a bit of a difference, and just try to find one at a local store.  
I bought one each of 2 different bras from the shop and then bought more from Amazon.  They are 2 years old and still going strong.  I finally look like I have 2 boobs instead of one.  It also made me look thinner instantly because the girls were actually up where they belonged.  

I pay about $50 through Amazon (I agree the Panache TangoII is awesome, I also like their Melody) Well worth it.  

I mean if I'm going to have to buy 5 ill fitting bras a year from walmart for $12 each, isn't it a better deal to get one bra for $50 that will last 2+ years.  Inexpesive doesn't always come out to be cheaper in the long run. 

Wow. I'm floored by these prices. I think $10 at Wal Mart is too much!

I wouldn't spend $10 at Wal-Mart either. ;)

My grandmother was a very frugal woman, but she bought quality shoes and undergarments. She said you don't cheap out on your foundation. The wise man built his house upon the rock and all that. Of course she had large, hard to fit bOOks and feet like I do. :)

OK, I am trying the Panache Tango II. I've been fighting with uncomfortable JCPenney bras because that's the best I've ever gotten, but there's got to be better out there.  I ordered 2, a 40E and a 40F because I think my current cups are too small.  Thank goodness for free returns from Amazon!

ETA: I would love, love, love a breast reduction so I could put my bOOks in a cheap Walmart bra...

How did you ladies even discover the existence of $60 bras?! Mind blowing.

When your boobs are big enough to cause you constant discomfort if not properly supported, you start looking for options. I've had sores from bras rubbing me raw, and those weren't cheap bras, either. Right now I'm shoved into a bra at least a cup size, maybe 2, too small because I never thought to check amazon for bras. 

I'm hoping the bras I ordered live up to their hype. If not, Amazon will take them back.

OK, I am trying the Panache Tango II. I've been fighting with uncomfortable JCPenney bras because that's the best I've ever gotten, but there's got to be better out there.  I ordered 2, a 40E and a 40F because I think my current cups are too small.  Thank goodness for free returns from Amazon!

ETA: I would love, love, love a breast reduction so I could put my bOOks in a cheap Walmart bra...

Make sure you're ordering the right band size.  I went from an alleged 38DD to a true fit of 34F/G, depending on bra.  That's a HUGE difference in band size.  It still feels weird to be in a 34 after spending over 20 yrs in the wrong band size.  

Also, a good lingerie shop will teach you how to cup properly.  I didn't know I had been wearing my bras wrong for so long.  It was eye-opening.  

Nope. JCP'S would not be. Again, they Re trying to fit you into what they have in stock. Look for an independent boutique. They are usually in strip malls. I passed one every week for two years and had never seen it. These places usually carry obscure sizes and are willing to order the size you need. I found them by googling lingerie and the cities near me. Usually they are found in upscale towns/cities but are off in a random strip mall.

Make sure you're ordering the right band size.  I went from an alleged 38DD to a true fit of 34F/G, depending on bra.  That's a HUGE difference in band size.  It still feels weird to be in a 34 after spending over 20 yrs in the wrong band size.  

Also, a good lingerie shop will teach you how to cup properly.  I didn't know I had been wearing my bras wrong for so long.  It was eye-opening.

I second going to a lingerie shop for a fitting.  

I went from an alleged 36 or 34 band to a 30.    Cup sizing is important too.  I have more breast than ribs, thus the FF cup. For years, I was either falling out the top, bottom of sides.  The molded cups were the worse -- my bOOks would just puddle in them if the cup were too big, or I'd get the unibOOk if they were too small.  I tried all store-brands (Fruit of the Loom to Bali). 

BTW, would have never found  my bra size based on the measuring guides on line.  According to them, I was a 34DD.

This! I have been wearing Hanes or Fruit of the Loom cotton sports bras from Wal Mart for years, $8 for a 2-pack. I buy 6-8 of them (about $30) and they last a year or so.

Lately I've been thinking about getting a more supportive, better fitting bra at least for high-impact exercise, but I was considering Bali and Jockey to be "expensive, fancy" brands to look into. How did you ladies even discover the existence of $60 bras?! Mind blowing.

It was a friend who gave me the name of a locally owned bra shop.  I got so sick of spending $30 on a bra and the underwire would break in less than a year.  (I didn't realize I was in the wrong size, but like others have mentioned Kohls and Pennys only sell bras so big) So I went to a store that specializes in bras.  When I walked out of the dressing room, even my DH could tell a difference.  There are a few things in life I am willing to spend a little money on:  bras, shoes, and fitted sheets.  

It's ridiculous, I agree. Especially when you consider the fact that about 90% of women are wearing the wrong size because it's just what's readily available. I can't even buy my size at regular department stores.

I keep seeing this statistic or something like it.  But just today it struck me as really odd.  (And being a statistician - and a consumer -- I just had to question it.)

Is there some research to back this up?  Or is it one of those facts that retailers make up?  Or maybe, if it is a real number, it's just that 90 percent of women who go for a fitting are in the wrong size -- but one would expect that those people who would go for a fitting would likely have some issue they wanted fixed.  That wouldn't necessarily mean that 90 percent of the entire population was in the wrong size.

I'm having trouble believing large retailers would not have spotted this problem and jumped in to sell something if there was a large market -- 90 percent of women is a huge number of potential consumers.

This is an interesting article: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/05/stop-telling-us-we8217re-wearing-the-wrong-size-bra.html

I keep seeing this statistic or something like it. But just today it struck me as really odd. (And being a statistician - and a consumer -- I just had to question it.)

Is there some research to back this up? Or is it one of those facts that retailers make up? Or maybe, if it is a real number, it's just that 90 percent of women who go for a fitting are in the wrong size -- but one would expect that those people who would go for a fitting would likely have some issue they wanted fixed. That wouldn't necessarily mean that 90 percent of the entire population was in the wrong size.

I'm having trouble believing large retailers would not have spotted this problem and jumped in to sell something if there was a large market -- 90 percent of women is a huge number of potential consumers.

This is an interesting article: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/05/stop-telling-us-we8217re-wearing-the-wrong-size-bra.html

I'm sure they are counting women like me who intentionally wear the 'wrong' size on purpose. I don't need to wear the band as tightly as I'm 'supposed' to. I wear bras for coverage and don't expect them to defy gravity at all. I can go up a band size and down a cup size for comfort with no ill effects. Also, a $15 bra will last me almost a decade simply because im not putting much stress on any of the straps. My books are small, so I don't actually 'need' a bra but since there are ways to tell if you're not wearing one, I put them on when I leave the house.

I haven't not need a bra since I was 10.  Oh, I wish I was small again.  Unfortunately, those of us with bigger ones need the support.  I never, ever found a bra that fit comfortably and that's because I was told I was the wrong size for almost 25 years.  I was taught by my mom that to get the right fit, you go to penney's or vs and they will measure you right up.  Well, they don't.  They add this and that so that you can fit to what they have.  Making a wider size and variety is expensive.  It's easier and less expensive to fit people who are a 34G, 36F, or a 38E/DDD into a 38DDD then to have all those sizes.  But the 34G will be most definitely not only be spilling out of the cups because they are too tight but also be swimming so they are hanging, contributing to back, neck and shoulder problems.  So, I would agree that if you are small A,B and C cups, then wearing the right size bra probably doesn't change your life too much.  But for those of us who carry an extra 10 pounds on their chest, a good fitting bra can and does not alone change your appearance (oh, wow!  Hello!  You're supposed to be way up here?! and your not supposed to be hanging out in my armpits?  Well, what do you know?) but also improves your health.  

How did you ladies even discover the existence of $60 bras?! Mind blowing.

Really? All you have to do is wander into any Victoria's Secret to discover the existence of $60 bras.

I'm small chested, can fit into most brands, but every time I try to go cheap on bras I end up throwing it away after wearing it a couple times because they're so uncomfortable. And I hate hate hate sports bras for anything other than actually running both because I don't like anything that tight and because they completely flatten me out.