Menu

Carsickness and 4 year old

AimeeM

For the past several months, my son has been sick on the morning car ride to drop off my eldest at school. He's thrown up twice in the past week or so; every other morning just nauseated. Is there anything I can give him before the ride, or do for him before the ride, to help this not happen?

(ETA: He's only 28 lbs, so I worry about dosing him with motion meds)

Is he still rear facing? If not, can you put him in a center spot where he can see out the front window clearly? Also, open a window so he can get some fresh air. You can try sea bands - the wrist thingies. They don't do anything for me, but I've heard that people like them. I am very prone to motion sickness as is DS. He's usually ok up to about 30 min in the car though, so around town every day trips are ok. Not giving him a book or anything helps. He knows to look out the front window and the airflow from the window helps too for some reason. 

I keep our puke kit in the car now at all times. Backpack with a quart sized tupperware container, bottle of water, change of clothes, paper towels, pack of clorox wipes, pack of wet ones and a few small garbage bags (I just grab a few of the ones from the grocery store check out). If he throws up, I get him the container in time then pull to the nearest rest stop/bathroom. Dump the container in the toilet and the water is to rinse it out if there isn't a sink handy. Then a clorox wipe and a paper towel. Wipes and towels in case any puke gets on his car seat or the car. Change of clothes in case any gets on him and wet ones for anything on his skin. Grocery bag for pukey clothes. DH and I have gotten it down to a pit crew like level of efficiency when we have to make a puke pit stop on road trips!

Do you feed him before getting in the car? My DD7  gets carsick a lot, even in town. I can guarantee that if she has not eaten before getting in the car, she will get sick.

Even a bag of cherrios to munch on will help. Just drinking milk or something does not do it, it has to be something with "bulk". An apple, muffin, etc.

Ziplocks are good to throw up in. They work better in car seats than containers. I agree that keeping things going in the right direction by eating something as you drive. Cheerios have a strong smell. You might be better off with low salt saltines or pretzel rods (which can be de-salted by rubbing). Definately have air in the face and ride in the middle of the car, if possible, looking forward. At four, he probably can be given the ziplock when he gets in the car and told to use it if need be. If he is like my children, having it to hold will be a big comfort. Crystalized ginger might help, or ginger gum, but I don't know if he could deal with the taste?

Nan

Is he still rear facing? If not, can you put him in a center spot where he can see out the front window clearly? Also, open a window so he can get some fresh air. You can try sea bands - the wrist thingies. They don't do anything for me, but I've heard that people like them. I am very prone to motion sickness as is DS. He's usually ok up to about 30 min in the car though, so around town every day trips are ok. Not giving him a book or anything helps. He knows to look out the front window and the airflow from the window helps too for some reason. 

I keep our puke kit in the car now at all times. Backpack with a quart sized tupperware container, bottle of water, change of clothes, paper towels, pack of clorox wipes, pack of wet ones and a few small garbage bags (I just grab a few of the ones from the grocery store check out). If he throws up, I get him the container in time then pull to the nearest rest stop/bathroom. Dump the container in the toilet and the water is to rinse it out if there isn't a sink handy. Then a clorox wipe and a paper towel. Wipes and towels in case any puke gets on his car seat or the car. Change of clothes in case any gets on him and wet ones for anything on his skin. Grocery bag for pukey clothes. DH and I have gotten it down to a pit crew like level of efficiency when we have to make a puke pit stop on road trips!

I can't put him in the middle :( My youngest (14 months) is in the middle. Nico (the carsick 4 year old) is front facing in a five point harness.

I like the idea of a puke kit - he got sick again this afternoon (though dozed off before he could throw up).

Ziplocks are good to throw up in. They work better in car seats than containers. I agree that keeping things going in the right direction by eating something as you drive. Cheerios have a strong smell. You might be better off with low salt saltines or pretzel rods (which can be de-salted by rubbing). Definately have air in the face and ride in the middle of the car, if possible, looking forward. At four, he probably can be given the ziplock when he gets in the car and told to use it if need be. If he is like my children, having it to hold will be a big comfort. Crystalized ginger might help, or ginger gum, but I don't know if he could deal with the taste?

Nan

We can't put him in the middle (I was told that my youngest needs to be in the middle?), but I can start keeping cheerios in the car - the problem is that he won't usually eat when he feels sick and he feels sick pretty quickly. This afternoon when he got sick, he had just had a plain waffle.

I'll give him a ziplock and an open window - hopefully that'll help. Thanks!

Eating a little something before a car ride always helps  my kids, ditto with making sure they have gone to the bathroom right before we leave. Keeping it not too hot, fresh air helps.

For my oldest who has been the worst and is just now getting better at almost 10 the only thing that has really helped is listening to audiobooks. If he’s not bored he is much less likely to get sick. 

There's a great product called Motioneaze that I found when we were going on a cruise. I didn't want to dose my 2 year old with Benedryl the whole time, so we used this. It's all natural essential oils that you put on behind your ears. It worked so well for him that I used it too instead of Dramamine. It even helps when symptoms start unlike motion sickness meds. It contains Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh, Ylang-Ylang and Birch, so it may smell a little funny to him, but it works great. I found it at Walmart by the Dramamine for about $5. Don't be fooled by the tiny size of the bottle, a little goes a looooong way.

My daughter started having bad motion sickness around the time she turned 4. The day after driving a winding road until she puked, we went on a whale watching cruise and she was miserable! A kind mom near me on the cruise offered her some peppermint gum and it completely did the trick. So now we always pack minty gum in the car, and so far it has always calmed her tummy right back down. She still isn't fond of boats though. ;)

My extended family nicknamed our minivan The Vomit Comet . . .

Things we have learned

1. Definitely, as a PP mentioned have a "vomit kit."

2. Windows down (I think the blast of fresh fresh air reminds the brain/inner ear/belly/whatever that you ARE moving, it is a distraction, and helps flush out any irritating "smells").

3. Allow extra time if you are going to anything important where punctuality is a must (to deal with any pukey episodes without being overly stressed).

4. Search morning sickness relief - a lot of good ideas to try out for reducing queasiness - ginger, mint, carbonated beverage, smelling citrus (which got me through my last pregnancy), etc. Not every idea will work for every person, but at least you can feel like you are trying!

5. If there is any way at all to limit time spent in the car, do it. If you can find a carpool, a neighbor to watch the sicky guy while you take your eldest to school, or if your eldest can take a bus (I know these things aren't always options, but it doesn't hurt to mention them).

6. It usually does get better with time. We still do have car sick incidents, but MUCH less frequently.

My DD is the same. She is especially terrible in the morning making it a pain if we have to go somewhere early. She sits in the middle and it hasn't helped her. She has to have had decent food in her stomach for at least half an hour to prevent the sickness. Snack type food makes her throw up. Eating in the car is too late.

Try and get him up a little earlier and make sure to feed him a proper breakfast before you leave and have some time for it to settle in his stomach.

I don't think I would try medication yet. I do have some for my DD but only gave it to her when we travelled on a plane. It makes them really drowsy and I wouldn't like to do routinely.

My extended family nicknamed our minivan The Vomit Comet . . .

Things we have learned

1. Definitely, as a PP mentioned have a "vomit kit."

2. Windows down (I think the blast of fresh fresh air reminds the brain/inner ear/belly/whatever that you ARE moving, it is a distraction, and helps flush out any irritating "smells").

3. Allow extra time if you are going to anything important where punctuality is a must (to deal with any pukey episodes without being overly stressed).

4. Search morning sickness relief - a lot of good ideas to try out for reducing queasiness - ginger, mint, carbonated beverage, smelling citrus (which got me through my last pregnancy), etc. Not every idea will work for every person, but at least you can feel like you are trying!

5. If there is any way at all to limit time spent in the car, do it. If you can find a carpool, a neighbor to watch the sicky guy while you take your eldest to school, or if your eldest can take a bus (I know these things aren't always options, but it doesn't hurt to mention them).

6. It usually does get better with time. We still do have car sick incidents, but MUCH less frequently.

We've tried carbonated beverages and he will NOT have anything to do with ginger or peppermint - I'm not even sure I could hide medication enough for him to take it. I'll have to try smelling citrus - he'll do that.

No bus - it's a tiny 15 student private school on the other side of town (a lot of stop and go at lights too, which doesn't help, but it isn't interstate accessible and with rush hour, it wouldn't matter). I wonder if I can ask our neighbor friend to keep him in the mornings - I know she can't in the afternoons, but she may be able to pull off mornings.

Gingersnaps are a good idea.  Sounds like he won't eat them, though.  You know, you might be able to help with how you drive, also.  I get carsick.  I am better off if I sit on a cushion (so I am high up) in the front, but I still get sick sometimes and it usually depends on who is driving.  Some drivers swoop around corners and accelerate and decelerate rapidly.  When my husband is in hurry, I am more likely to get sick than when he isn't.  I am inevitably sick when driven by somebody who isn't used to driving on snow because they rush up to stops and slam on the brakes rather than slowing down slowly.  The same with leaving an intersection.  It might help to put a cup of water on the floor and try to drive in a way that doesn't spill the water.  Things may improve over time.  Audiobooks are a good idea.  They definately help both me and my boy.  They may not help the actual sickness but they make you less miserable.

Nan

As soon as we armed dd with zip locks in the pockets of her booster she started to improve. I think she worried after it happened once which made her scared and nauseous. After she had her bags mess was no longer something to worry about.

1. Cold air blowing on his face at all times. Give him a handheld fan with a mister if needed.

2. Front facing in the closest seat to the front if possible.

3. No looking down....this means books, handheld games, etc.

4. Will he drink anything cold? Preferably Sprite or ginger ale.

5. Make a puke kit.

6. There are all natural motion sickness pills that dissolve under your tongue.

Ds still deals with this some at 15yo.  We tried lots of the things mentioned here.  Together they all help in varying degrees.  Another one that helped ds was realizing it was partly a sensory issue.  A pair of sunglasses to block the light (particularly when it comes and goes through trees) and headphones helped. 

I just remembered - briefly at one point we had a holistic doctor who gave us a homeopathic remedy for seasickness. It seemed to work about as well as bonine. I have no idea what it was, but it might be worth investigating. He gave it to me because I was reluctant to give a lot of bonine to my little one. It wasn't perfect, but did seem to help, provided I gave it before they started to feel really sick. Nothing is perfect lol. My aunt swears by those electronic wrist bands but that isn't something I would put on a child? The non-electronic ones did nothing at all for us.

We can't put him in the middle (I was told that my youngest needs to be in the middle?), but I can start keeping cheerios in the car - the problem is that he won't usually eat when he feels sick and he feels sick pretty quickly. This afternoon when he got sick, he had just had a plain waffle.

I'll give him a ziplock and an open window - hopefully that'll help. Thanks!

The youngest does NOT need to be in the middle.

Usually the saying is the least protected passenger in the most protected spot. If your youngest is rear-facing, then your forward facing 4 year old is least protected. :)

Beyond that, though, for medical reasons, I would switch their positions in a heartbeat even if your 14 month old is already forward facing. The potential safety advantage in an accident is less than the real and actual medical problem your 4 year old is having. Switch them and see if it helps!

Maybe I missed it, but are you feeding everyone breakfast before you get in the car? Make sure he's getting some protein and carbs, that helps keep their blood sugar more level, which helps prevent them from getting carsick (in my experience). I agree with keeping a kit in the car. My carsick child had a small bucket with a lid, wipes and mints.

If you have a juicer or smoothie maker you might try giving him something with fresh ginger. IDK if you could juice the night before so that it's ready to go in the morning?

He's already forward-facing, which was going to be my next suggestion. Ginger works the best for me (I get carsick somewhat easily). Dramamine works, too, but you don't want to have to give it every single morning and, in any case, it makes them sleepy.

Maybe I missed it, but are you feeding everyone breakfast before you get in the car? Make sure he's getting some protein and carbs, that helps keep their blood sugar more level, which helps prevent them from getting carsick (in my experience). I agree with keeping a kit in the car. My carsick child had a small bucket with a lid, wipes and mints.

Kind of. He won't really eat that early. I'm lucky to get a bit of cheerios or part of a plain waffle in him. He's never been an early breakfast eater.

I haven't read responses and apologise if this has already been suggested, but I have a DS9 who has always suffered with car/motion sickness. The only thing I have found to have worked (I have never wanted to medicate) is DVD screens positioned onto the back of the rear seats to keep his eyes focused on the screen.  And he HAS to choose a DVD to watch especially on longer journeys.  He sits behind me in the car while I drive and I DON'T want to wear his breakfast/lunch/snacks!

Oh and good tinting in the car to keep the sun well out helps also, along with aircon keeping the inside of the car cold... yes everyone else will freeze...

edited to add: no reading, or playing games like DS etc - that really makes it a lot worse for my DS.

I haven't read other responses.  A few years ago, I started having motion sickness--even when I was the person driving.  It turns out that I had become near-sighted.  After I got glasses, my motion sickness resolved.

Interesting. I used to get carsick as a child, before we found out that I'm nearsighted (legally blind without corrective lenses) - I don't recall when the carsickness stopped. While he hasn't shown any signs of vision problems, I think I'll make him an appointment for an eye exam.