Menu

Self-esteem vs. self-confidence

Laura Corin

I heard an opinion piece on the radio this morning during which the speaker discussed what a young unemployed person had said to him: she had no problems with self-esteem (she felt her own value and considered herself worthy of respect) but lacked self-confidence.  A mentor helped her to overcome the barriers she felt about applying for jobs, going for interviews and entering an unfamiliar work environment.

I wondered what others thought about this: perhaps some of the 'self-esteem' emphasis has been misplaced?  Or was she wrong: if her self-esteem was high enough, it would give her the confidence to carry her into new situations?

L

I see self-confidence as a component of self-esteem, where self-esteem is how you feel about and evaluate yourself overall. 

She may value herself highly in other areas, but know that she has to overcome a fear of failure in the work environment.

When she does succeed in the workplace and becomes confident (knowing that she can do it), it will contribute to her overall self-esteem.

I have looked into this issue quite a bit in the last few years, mostly for personal reasons.

This is what I have found:

there are actually three components involved, self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-confidence.

Self-esteem encompasses the general feelings of self-worth and value. It reflects the level of positive regard one has for oneself.

Self-efficacy incorporates the idea that an individual has the skills, knowledge and ability to succeed at any given task.

Self-confidence is the marriage between esteem and efficacy.  If either esteem or efficacy is low than confidence may be low, if esteem and efficacy are both high than confidence should be high as well.

What I find interesting is that esteem, efficacy and confidence are not constant across the self-concept.  An individual may have high self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-confidence in one area, say playing tennis, and low self-esteem, high efficacy and moderate self-confidence in another, finding and maintaining full-time employment.  Someone may have degrees, certifications and licensing that proves efficacy but if that person believes he or she is not as important as others and focuses on personality flaws instead of strengths, then esteem may be low.

Without knowing more about the topic discussed in the OP, my guess would be the young person was low on self-efficacy and needed someone to teach her how to prove her knowledge, skills and ability to succeed.

--

Does any of that make sense?  I have a whole notebook full of notes on this subject and I tried to be parsimonious and I feel that maybe I am not being clear.

there is definitely a difference.   self-confidence means she knows she can do what she needs to, to apply for jobs and how to comport herself in an interview.  after she get's the job, she has the confidence to know she can do it.

it's part of that 'empty praise" thing going on.   kids know if they're getting lots of praise they haven't merited - then there must be something wrong with them and the teachers are trying to make them feel better.

the difference between a participation award - and a blue ribbon because you performed better than anyone else.

A person can have great belief in their own worth, and even belief in their intelligence and ability to get things done...without having trust or confidence that others will see that within them. 

I have always had a strong sense of belief in my own worth (thanks mom, dad, family) and I have seen my own ability as a person. That has not gotten me every job I've wanted, even when I knew that I was the best candidate for the job. People usually judge on factors other than innate worth. There can be a lack of confidence as you try to figure out what superficial aspect (looks, bubbliness, humor) the person is looking for in a hire, or just trying to figure out what social/physical aspects of yourself the person is judging lacking. 

I think in that opinion piece having a mentor also gave the young person some idea of what employers were looking for and what situations she was involving herself in. There's a lack of confidence when you have no experience. You can trust yourself, but not know what the rules are. 

I have looked into this issue quite a bit in the last few years, mostly for personal reasons.

This is what I have found:

there are actually three components involved, self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-confidence.

Self-esteem encompasses the general feelings of self-worth and value. It reflects the level of positive regard one has for oneself.

Self-efficacy incorporates the idea that an individual has the skills, knowledge and ability to succeed at any given task.

Self-confidence is the marriage between esteem and efficacy.  If either esteem or efficacy is low than confidence may be low, if esteem and efficacy are both high than confidence should be high as well.

What I find interesting is that esteem, efficacy and confidence are not constant across the self-concept.  An individual may have high self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-confidence in one area, say playing tennis, and low self-esteem, high efficacy and moderate self-confidence in another, finding and maintaining full-time employment.  Someone may have degrees, certifications and licensing that proves efficacy but if that person believes he or she is not as important as others and focuses on personality flaws instead of strengths, then esteem may be low.

Without knowing more about the topic discussed in the OP, my guess would be the young person was low on self-efficacy and needed someone to teach her how to prove her knowledge, skills and ability to succeed.

--

Does any of that make sense?  I have a whole notebook full of notes on this subject and I tried to be parsimonious and I feel that maybe I am not being clear.

That's really interesting. I am very lacking on self esteem and it's interesting to see it broken down like that.

I agree they are components, but not the same thing. I've dealt with self-esteem issues most of my life, however I have pretty high self-confidence about many situations, most of them through experience. 

My son, otoh, has a good self-esteem but lacks the confidence in some areas. 

I think this topic is fascinating. My husband and several children have both high self-esteem and high self-confidence. The rest of us have high self-esteem but sometimes lack the confidence. (I'm probably the worst, but my children don't know that!) My children who have lacked some confidence seem to be gaining it with experience. I guess I probably am too, but I come from such a shy, Scandinavian family that it's taking me a lot longer! (So that asks the question, do shyness and lack of confidence go together?)

For me, self confidence is the belief that you are capable of doing whatever the task at hand may be. A person can be confident in only one or a few areas, or can have a high level of general self confidence and believe that they will either be able to perform any given task well or that they have the resources to learn how to get it done or find someone else to do it.

Self esteem, as others have said, is the amount of value you place upon yourself. It may well be influenced by self confidence, but is a separate perception of your self worth.

Unfortunately, both of these can be faulty. A person can have an overinflated concept of how valuable or important they are that is not based in reality or shared with anyone else. It seems that one source of this can be a parent or teacher who persists in telling the person that everything they do is absolutely wonderful. IMO, it results in feelings of entitlement and a lack of self control. Why shouldn't I get whatever I want - I am wonderful and I deserve it!

I have also seen a number of kids and young adults who seem to suffer from an abundance of unfounded self confidence. Perhaps the self esteem movement led them to believe that mediocre efforts were adequate or that half hearted work was good enough, but the bottom line is that they seem to believe they can make succeed quite impressively, without either the knowledge or skills to back this confidence. I am going to win this game and crush my competition! Regardless of the fact that they have not practiced nor were they really ever that good at it in the first place. Lots of smack talk. When they do eventually lose, they always come up with numerous excuses - unfair referees, the sun/wind/rain was in my eyes, someone pushed me, it was too hot/cold, the rules are unfair, etc.