Menu

We saw sand fleas at the beach today!

Mama Geek

They're really not cute when they're jumping all over you and into any food or beverage you have.  :rofl:

My parents had waterfront property when I was growing up (they've since built a house on it) and we used to camp there. Sand fleas were yucky. No one liked them. The comments are cracking me up.

They're really not cute when they're jumping all over you and into any food or beverage you have.  :rofl:

My parents had waterfront property when I was growing up (they've since built a house on it) and we used to camp there. Sand fleas were yucky. No one liked them. The comments are cracking me up.

LOL! I never saw them jumping or flying or anything of the sort. They would always try to dig in the sand as fast as they could, and always just where the surf came in. They were never where the sand was dry.

Yeah, I'm thinking we're talking about different sand fleas. I've seen little fleas at our beaches here on the Great Lakes. Those are irritating, jumpy, biting little fleas like the ones on dogs and cats, but smaller. The photo Mama Geek linked doesn't look like it could jump.  And I think it's cute.

These didn't bite and they weren't insects.  We thought they were kind of cute too.  They were more along the lines of a shellfish.

This is the kind I was mentioning also. They didn't jump, bite, fly, or anything of the sort. They just dug in the sand, almost like little crabs or something. :) They could swim really well too.

I couldn't understand why anyone was excited about seeing sand fleas. Some people may call those little critters "fleas" but we always called them sand crabs.

What we call sand fleas are just as annoying as the fleas that get on our cats and dog, and yes, they bite, jump, get in your food, etc. In fact, I don't know if they are any different -- they just hang out at the beach rather than on our pets.

They are "Sand Crabs," not "Sand Fleas."

They don't jump, fly, or bite.

Bill

What you are calling sand fleas I would call sand crabs or donax. They are cute and we would always catch them and make little ponds for them and let them burrow in our hands.

What I would call sand fleas are just fleas or small flies that live at the beach and might bite.

Two different creatures!

Ahhh, okay. Yes, the ones I found looked like the picture the OP posted, and they definitely seemed more similar to crabs than fleas.