Menu

Which would be the better & wiser investment?

Joyfullyblessed

Hello,

Well, here is the situation.  Our sixteen year old gas range is finally on it's last leg.  We are going to have to head out this weekend and purchase a new range.  With it being Labor day weekend, we are hoping to find a good deal somewhere. 

Knowing that we have to get a new range has got me thinking.  I am wondering if we should spend more money and get all new appliances for the kitchen.  Everything but the dishwasher is very old (16+ years).  We have all white appliances right now in an all white kitchen, but would like to change out to stainless steel.  

We know that within the next two years, we want to try and sell our home.  This is why I am playing around with the thought of purchasing all new appliances in stainless.  I am thinking that buyers will like the fact that the appliances are new and updated.  Right now, they are screaming old and outdated.  However, that is a pretty big investment financially.  But... would it be worth it in the long run?  Would it be super smart to do this now?  I don't know.

Another thought was just to get a new white range (which will match all the other white appliances), and then possibly look at giving the kitchen floor a little update.  Right now we have white linoleum floors with a blue diamond pattern going throughout them.  They are old, outdated and hideous looking.  So, I was thinking that it might be good to refresh those instead of doing all new appliances.  We would just go with something inexpensive, like a click lock laminate tile, but it sure would help the appearance.  

Or, I could just be good and get a new white range and leave it at that.  Ha! 

Anyway, if you were in this situation and knew that you would be trying to sell your home within the next couple of years, what would you do?  Would you invest in items that would update your home and make it more appealing or would you just leave it be?  

Thanks so much! 

If you are selling your home within two years, then I would say that it is worth it to make the investment and update with all matching stainless appliances now. I would wait and re-do the floors *right before* you put them on the market so that they look brand new and fresh when it goes on the market.

I say this as someone who has moved about 10 times over the course of 20 years. I know what I look for when purchasing or renting a home.

I would totally say its worth it if you're planning to sell in 2 years. Kitchen remodels are super expensive, and a way to get around a total redo is to replace appliances. Lots of places have financing options, and if you can get it all paid off within a year, with no interest, I'd say go for it :)

Anyway, if you were in this situation and knew that you would be trying to sell your home within the next couple of years, what would you do?  Would you invest in items that would update your home and make it more appealing or would you just leave it be?  

I live in an area of the country where appliances are not expected to pass with the sale of the house.  I would not replace all of the kitchen appliances now with an eye toward a possible buyer down the road.  That's definitely NOT an investment!  If I were in your situation, I'd probably buy the stainless stove and replace other appliances with stainless as necessary.

We bought a house with white appliances.  We rented out our old house, which had stainless.  In between tenants, we switched the appliances, putting the white ones in the rental and taking the stainless.  A year later, we sold the rental house, using the white appliances as a negotiation point and they were tossed in with the deal for the seller.  He didn't care what color the appliances were, he was just happy to have them.  (The house was practically brand new and went under contract less than ten days after listing.)

I live in an area of the country where appliances are not expected to pass with the sale of the house. I would not replace all of the kitchen appliances now with an eye toward a possible buyer down the road. That's definitely NOT an investment! If I were in your situation, I'd probably buy the stainless stove and replace other appliances with stainless as necessary.

)

All the appliances go with the seller? I understand moving a washer and dryer, but leaving holes in the kitchen just seems odd. That's definitely not done here.

Update the appliances...when they get that old, it can be like a domino effect.  Wait on the floors.  I've never lived anywhere that most of the "built in" appliances didn't convey (range/dishwasher).  We took our refrigerator from CA to GA to FL and even to VA...VA was the first place I'd ever lived where the refrigerator also usually conveys.  Our range and dishwasher always remained behind.

Of course, it wasn't long ago that in Naples, Italy...the kitchens in the rentals didn't even come with cabinets and countertops...forget about appliances!  

All the appliances go with the seller? I understand moving a washer and dryer, but leaving holes in the kitchen just seems odd. That's definitely not done here.

Yes, we've bought and sold three houses in my part of VA (not near Lisa!), plus written a few contracts on others.  Ranges and refrigerators are used as negotiation.  (Dishwashers are included with the house.)  I've lived in another state where they conveyed.  I've found it fascinating how areas can vary so widely.

The most ridiculous time was when we bought a new-build home here.  The range was not included, yet our national lender would not approve the loan until the house was "habitable"--which included a range.  So we had to buy the range, and then install it in the house prior to purchasing it, so the loan would be approved.  We have not had similar problems with local lenders.

I agree with Mrs. Mungo. :) Even if appliances don't generally convey in your area, having new ones and new floors will make your house value increase. Edited: badly worded sentiment. Buyers see shaggy old kitchen vs new, shiny kitchen and think yay! And don't factor in a 20K kitchen redo in their heads. In the same way that fresh paint doesn't actually make the structure worth MORE to an appraiser, but it greatly increases the appeal to a buyer.

There are new vinyl click-lock planks that resemble hardwood. They'll probably be even better in a couple years. My BIL is a contractor/builder and is putting those everywhere in the house he's building for his family. I want to see how his look when we redo our first floor... They look great in commercial spaces. He says they're easy to install. He and his 9 year old put them in a huge lake house he was renovating this summer, and he usually just supervises. ;)

Appliances are not going to "increase the value" of your home.   New appliances will not be taken into consideration when a realtor does price comparisons, and they won't be taken into account by an appraiser for a buyer's lender.  They *might* make a kitchen more appealing to a buyer; they might not.  (While plenty of people may be turned off by white, many people dislike stainless. Others might not care one way or another.) 

Also, laminate or vinyl "wood" flooring might be inexpensive to install, but it definitely does not have the appeal, or the value, of hardwood floors in a home.  It can make an initial good impression though, or it might entice a buyer who does not know the difference. Any "faux" hardwood flooring would not be a selling point, imo.

The most important thing, OP, for you to do is make the choice that suits your family, for this time.  Your plans to move might change, styles might change. It's not a good idea to do something to your house thinking someone else will like it down the road.  Far more important than the appliances in your kitchen will be your pricing of your house. 

This is a great weekend to shop, and I hope you have fun and find a great sale!  I've been holding off shopping for a few days, expecting to find better deals this weekend for clothes.  :)

New appliances are the icing on the cake when a buyer falls in love with a home. Stainless brings out the ahhhhhhhs when I'm showing homes. The first impressions in a home with newish appliances, updated floors, and fresh paint is tremendous. Even my 'fixer-upper' buyers react well to a nicely done home.

We may put our home on the market in a year or two....I'm replacing my white appliances with SS so I can enjoy them for a while before selling. :)

Have fun shopping!

Wow!  Thanks for all the great replies.  :) 

We have decided to update everything.  It is a great weekend to purchase these items too with the Labor day sales going on right now.  

I also know that in our area, the appliances usually stay with the home (aside from the refrigerator sometimes).  Our poor appliances look soooo outdated and they are having issues with them being so old.  Even if we don't put the house on the market, we figure we will get to enjoy the new appliances and fresh look they give to the kitchen for a while.  

We see it as a win-win.  We get to enjoy the appliances for a while and then they will be more appealing to buyers should we put the house on the market within the next two years.  

Thanks again! Everyone have a wonderful and safe Labor Day weekend! :)

Hello,

Well, here is the situation.  Our sixteen year old gas range is finally on it's last leg.  We are going to have to head out this weekend and purchase a new range.  With it being Labor day weekend, we are hoping to find a good deal somewhere. 

Knowing that we have to get a new range has got me thinking.  I am wondering if we should spend more money and get all new appliances for the kitchen.  Everything but the dishwasher is very old (16+ years).  We have all white appliances right now in an all white kitchen, but would like to change out to stainless steel.  

We know that within the next two years, we want to try and sell our home.  This is why I am playing around with the thought of purchasing all new appliances in stainless.  I am thinking that buyers will like the fact that the appliances are new and updated.  Right now, they are screaming old and outdated.  However, that is a pretty big investment financially.  But... would it be worth it in the long run?  Would it be super smart to do this now?  I don't know.

Another thought was just to get a new white range (which will match all the other white appliances), and then possibly look at giving the kitchen floor a little update.  Right now we have white linoleum floors with a blue diamond pattern going throughout them.  They are old, outdated and hideous looking.  So, I was thinking that it might be good to refresh those instead of doing all new appliances.  We would just go with something inexpensive, like a click lock laminate tile, but it sure would help the appearance.  

Or, I could just be good and get a new white range and leave it at that.  Ha! 

Thanks so much! 

I think that, considering your plan to sell in the next couple of years, it is definitely worth it for the appliances. 

I would also say that, maybe in the next year or so, it would also be worth it to do the floor.

I've always heard that kitchen and bathroom updates are huge sellers of houses.  So I really don't think you could go wrong.  :)

ETA: I just read through and see I came in late!  Oh, well.  ;)  Glad you found what you were looking for!  :D

I would *never* put click lock laminate in a kitchen or a bathroom.  too much potential water damage.  I did look into it when I originally did my kitchen.

I had pre-finished hardwood (there's a reason I prefer finish on site :toetap05: ), my dishwasher leaked UNDER the floor, and destroyed it. :svengo:   at least my homeowner's insurance paid for the floor.  I now have quartzite tile and lots of caulk around the edges with metal trays underneath the dishwasher and fridge to catch water and direct it out to where we would see it.  It's really pretty - and it's not cold like ceramic tile.

I also had white appliances, and after the above disaster, replaced my white dishwasher to ss. 

I had previously had a white silgranite sink - it cracked from repeated pasta draining of boiling water.  I replaced it with ss.  the sink itself was under warranty for heat cracks - something they no longer cover.

My fridge (my oldest appliance) did decide it didn't want to be left out and promptly quit freezing.  :sneaky2:  I got a ss French door.

My range is still white, and I have no plans on replacing it soon as well as it is working fine. :)  (and it better stay that way!  I don't like any of the ss ranges currently on the market.  while I like the five burner, they have lower BTU's.)

depending upon the color of your cabinetry, hardware and walls, the floor may be perfectly fine with ss.

eta: I've dealt with a number of appraisers over the years as we've refinanced.  looks do matter - some appraisers are very shallow (I remember one in particular . . . . . wow.).   some buyers can be extremely shallow too and focus on "looks" instead of floor plan flow, and other amenities.  forgetting how easy it is to paint and replace floors and completely change the looks of things so those colors should be ignored.