Menu

Please Help - Party Favor Ideas

Kathleen in LV

I'm in need of ideas for birthday party favors.  We'll be having 17 kids, a mix of boys & girls, ranging in age from 5 to 10.  I didn't want to do a bag full of trinkets & candy -- in my experience, much of it gets tossed when you get home.

I thought I had a great idea - those little flexible photo albums.  But everything I've found is too girly -- not really good for the boys.

Last year I did little gift bags with back to school stuff - colored pencils, crayons, erasers, pencils sharpeners.  The year before I did Slinkies.  We'll be having "repeat customers", so I need a new idea.  I want to keep the cost low, but I want something that will actually be enjoyed by the kids.

Also, it needs to be something I can buy locally.  I don't have enough time to have something shipped. 

I know the Hive always has good ideas, so maybe some of you will be able to help me.

Thanks!!

If you're not opposed to candy, what about a big theater box of candy?  Here they sell them for $1 each at the local Walgreens (drugstore).  Make some stickers that say "Thanks for coming to my party" from your dc's name.

I've also done big cookies made at a bakery - I've gotten the age my dd has turned (as in this year she got "9" cookies).  They are decorated and have her name on them.  (Those are $3/cookie).  Again, we made a tag to attach to the cellophane bag.

Books, especially if they go with the theme of the party (if you have a theme). 

One year we did a dinosaur party and had the kids dig in a sandbox for plastic dinos, they took home what they dug up. 

One year I made T-shirts that said “Super-_____†with each kid’s name and a lightening bolt kind of desing. They were really easy to make, using iron on transfers from Michael’s and a computer. I’m not at all computer-savvy but it was easy for me to do. 

Art supplies/sidewalk chalk 

We did a Nerf battle one year and everyone got a little mini-squirt gun to take home. 

One year we did a monkey theme party and everyone got a barrel of monkeys game. 

This time of year I would stick with the cute school supplies-- especially with 17 guests!  I tend to use plastic (reusable) cups (about $.50 here) then give them a quick rinse at the end of the party.  As the kids leave they stuff their cup with their goodie bag of school supplies (pens with different colored ink, colorful pencils, pocket sized notebooks or scratch pads)

Glow-bracelets are big around here.  You can get a can of 10 for $1 at Michaels.

Small flashlights are also a great favor --" thank you for lighting up our party"

You can get inexpensive canvas book bags at most craft stores-- have some fabric markers on hand so they can decorate their own  (to save time you can write their name on them ahead of time).  Have them do this at the beginning of the party as they arrive-- so they can dry.  At the end of party stuff with a few pens and a small notebook....

Repeating a couple of the ideas already....

Food is always a hit. The movie boxes of candy are fun & kids also seem to enjoy small bags of chips, mini sodas, mini water bottles, etc.... If you have food allergy people, make sure you have something they can eat. (For example, a food allergy person we know can eat Mike & Ike's so we get a box of those....)

Boxes of sparklers (the kind you light at July 4th). Don't know if you can still find them or not. We've done these in the past since one of the birthdays we celebrate is not too long before July 4th. Those noise popper things are also fun for most kids. Party City tends to carry this kind of stuff if you have one nearby.

Those are pretty much the type of things I tend to stick to for any kind of party favor -- stuff that will get used up rather than sitting around.

If you have a Michael's nearby, check and see if they have the $1 wooden model kits - I've done those as favors a few times. It's a complete kit, including glue, paint, and model. They have planes, trains, all kinds of things. Ds loves them, and I've used them as favors more than once. 

If you have a Michael's nearby, check and see if they have the $1 wooden model kits - I've done those as favors a few times. It's a complete kit, including glue, paint, and model. They have planes, trains, all kinds of things. Ds loves them, and I've used them as favors more than once.

Love this idea!

For the first day of school we didn't need school supplies.  So I bought my kids poppers-those things w/ gun powder or seomthing that you throw on the ground and it makes a loud bang.  Pretty cheap at Wal-Mart.  Not sure where to find them now that it's not fireworks season.  My kids LOVE these.