Menu

Giving up cola - feeling terrible - UPDATE added

Pegasus

So, I gave up my vice, drinking coca-cola, on Wednesday.  I also gave up drinking sweet tea and any other sugary drinks.  I expected headaches from the caffeine withdrawal but I didn't expect to feel so bad otherwise (weak/tired, nauseous).  After two days, I finally had some unsweet tea on Friday and the headache went away. I had some coffee this morning to ensure that it didn't come back.  So, no headache but still weak feeling and nauseous - essentially how I feel if I'm recovering from a bad stomach bug.

I guess I need some encouragement that I'll start feeling better.  Any idea how long it will take? 

--Sick Pegasus

Ok, thank you. I can make it 2 weeks.  Just wanted to be sure this yucky feeling isn't my new normal.  I'm drinking water but probably not enough. I'll ramp up my water consumption.  The gum is a good idea; I need to pick some up for just a touch of sweetness.

Any other "been there" stories?

I have stopped caffine a few times and have finally kicked it. I switched to caffine free sodas and am now trying to stop that as well. I bought some perrier water today just for something fizzy to drink. I have also been doing some decaf tea with a small amount of sugar.

I didn't feel funny after giving up cola.  (Or at least I didn't notice a connection.)  I still drink coffee and probably won't ever give that up, but I only add skim milk.  It gives me a headache if I skip coffee for a day.  Then it is OK after that.  But coffee helps me focus and feel grounded (no pun intended!).

I gave up soda pop last year (one year on August 24th!) and it was definitely HARD. I drank 2-4 cans of Pepsi a day for 20 years. I'm occasionally tempted and have given in a time or two but overall, it was such a great decision for my overall health. It took about two weeks for the cravings to really subside. I now drink tons of water, coffee, and iced tea.

I felt terrible when I gave up soda, but it really is worth it.  I drink these when I want something carbonated:

http://www.canadadry.com/#/products/lemonlimeSeltzer

You may also want to try some natural calm to replace magnesium  (I'm not a doctor or anything, so just something to consider.  Soda drinkers can become deficient in magnesium, and you need it to feel normal.  I'm using this drink right now and trying to lower my coffee intake.)

Good Luck!  I think you're really going to feel better soon.

I just recently gave up diet soda and it was hard. I have a 12 pack in the fridge that I won't let myself open. :) I have been drinking iced tea with just a drop of honey. It isn't much calories, but gives it just a little bit of sweetness. Sometimes I skip it as well.

Feeling bad is probably temporary - whether it is from quitting soda or something else. Hang in there!

I appreciate all the feedback and support!  I've decided to follow the advice given to allow myself unsweetened tea and coffee.  I can wean off caffeine at a later time. I'm really trying to kick my reliance on lots of sugary drinks. 

I do not think I have a virus but anything is possible. 

Years ago, I drank diet coke all the time. I quit it, but still drink coffee. I really didn't have any problems doing it that way.

Like you, I wanted to get off the sugary/fake sodas (not necessarily caffeine).

I still drink coffee, but usually half-caf or decaf these days.

my friend is having symptoms of parkinsons. so she has to be off sodas. she drank soda for years! then only diet....now nothing even coffee is out.

for me I drank coffee since I was 5 or so. then in my 20s I tried to quit! the headaches would put me to bed! then I got pregnant in my 30s and I di quit. even chocolate. I would get so sick even with chocolate!

then I started to drink water...i drink decaff now. I heat a cup of milk then add a tsp of decaff instant ( I know not the best) and I am happy and baby #4 happy too.

I gave up a 20-year, 10-can-a-day Diet Coke addiction about 2 years ago.  I felt headachy and fuzzy-headed for a couple of weeks, then had cravings for a couple of weeks more, and then it was much, much, better.  I found substituting San Pelligrino water helped when I was craving carbonation.

Good luck - you can do it!

Keep it up!! You can do it!!! DH finally kicked the habit - first sugar (went to black coffee only) then slowly weaned down the caffeine. He said he hasn't felt THIS great since he was a kid!!!!! Stick with NO sugar, but it's okay to wean the caffeine over a week or two. You'll feel so much better and so glad you did it. The sugar craving is bad at first, make sure you are eating healthy, too.

I guess this is DAY 7 now and I wanted to provide an update.  As mentioned, I'm focusing on kicking the sugar habit first and allowing myself caffeine as needed.  I had coffee Saturday and Sunday morning but nothing caffeinated on Monday. By this evening (Tuesday), I had a headache so I had unsweet tea with dinner.

Overall, I'm feeling much better. The dizziness and nauseousness has greatly decreased. I'm not as tired as I have been. 

I'm simultaneously making other changes too but have decided to give myself some slack while I get used to not drinking any soft drinks or sweet tea.  I'm adding more fruits and veggies to my diet and trying to reduce portion size for breads/grains/pasta.  Also have a goal to walk 30 minutes a day. . .not quite making that yet as I'm averaging 20 minutes.

Thanks again for the anecdotes and encouragement.  I feel like I'm past the worst of it and looking forward to making more goals to tackle!