Menu

Fitbit, Bodybugg or something else?

Tress

I would like to get more active, I sit on my butt much too often :), so I'm looking for something that will help me set goals, monitor my activity....maybe even beep at me if I haven't moved enough (no idea if that is possible LOL).

I have been looking at the Fitbit and Bodybugg and tonight I also saw there is something similar from Nike. Maybe there are even others??

Can someone tell me the difference between these? And especially how they help/motivate to be more active?

I'm not interested in losing weight or tracking calories.

Thanks,

I just bought a Fitbit Zip and I really like it so far. It makes a snotty little face at me when I'm being lazy, and it also has varying degrees of happy faces.

For some idiotic reason, I find myself wanting to keep the stupid thing happy, so I'm walking more than usual.

I didn't bother buying the more expensive Fitbits because I didn't care about the sleep tracking feature, and I didn't want to wear the one that looks like a rubber wristband. Basically, my Fitbit is a glorified pedometer, but it's very tiny and very cute, and it seems to be relatively accurate (except it seems to have some issues with counting steps if I walk in place, like if I do a Leslie Sansone DVD or something -- it counts some steps and misses others -- and that's kind of a pain.)

I have the BodyMedia core device. I am not using it now, but it was motivating for me to see my numbers each time I downloaded. I did track food, along with steps. It told me how many cals I consumed and burned.

IDK, it was just fun to see how many steps, how much intensity, how many cals I burned, etc., and if I didn't hit my goal, I would get up and walk, just to see that number be reached.

I just bought a Fitbit Zip and I really like it so far. It makes a snotty little face at me when I'm being lazy, and it also has varying degrees of happy faces.

For some idiotic reason, I find myself wanting to keep the stupid thing happy, so I'm walking more than usual.

I didn't bother buying the more expensive Fitbits because I didn't care about the sleep tracking feature, and I didn't want to wear the one that looks like a rubber wristband. Basically, my Fitbit is a glorified pedometer, but it's very tiny and very cute, and it seems to be relatively accurate (except it seems to have some issues with counting steps if I walk in place, like if I do a Leslie Sansone DVD or something -- it counts some steps and misses others -- and that's kind of a pain.)

Cat,

I like the idea of those little faces more than the lights on the Fitbit Flex, but I'm not really clear on how you wear the Fitbit Zip. If it's in your pocket or clipped on your bra, how can you see those little faces?

I have the BodyMedia core device. I am not using it now, but it was motivating for me to see my numbers each time I downloaded. I did track food, along with steps. It told me how many cals I consumed and burned.

IDK, it was just fun to see how many steps, how much intensity, how many cals I burned, etc., and if I didn't hit my goal, I would get up and walk, just to see that number be reached.

Chris,

I hadn't heard about the BodyMedia armband, but I see that you need a monthly subscription, is that right? Because that would be a deal breaker for me :( because of $$.

Dh and I have used our fitbits for about 2 years. Love mine. His recently went through the washer and it came out just fine- I was surprised it wasn't ruined. 

I especially like that *I* don't have to do anything to sync the device- it syncs when I walk past dh's computer.  I like having the numbers there for me to see and I LOVE that it sends me an email reminder if it needs to be charged. Sometimes I forget.  Took a 10 day trip and my fitbit charge lasted the whole trip. 

I especially like that *I* don't have to do anything to sync the device- it syncs when I walk past dh's computer. I like having the numbers there for me to see and I LOVE that it sends me an email reminder if it needs to be charged. Sometimes I forget. Took a 10 day trip and my fitbit charge lasted the whole trip.

Sounds great! Which model do you have? Zip? One? Flex?

Sounds great! Which model do you have? Zip? One? Flex? 

I used birthday money to buy myself a Fitbit Flex and I love it.  I wear it 24/7 and only take it off to charge it once a week.  I wear it in the shower and when I go swimming.

I wish it showed the steps, etc., but my girlfriend kept having her Fitbit One fall off, so I went with the Flex.  Mine was on backorder for 7 weeks, but I feel it was worth the wait.  While we were on vacation, I could tell I was close to 10,000 steps so I kept walking the halls and even my children cheered when I got the notification that I hit 10,000 steps.

Cat,

I like the idea of those little faces more than the lights on the Fitbit Flex, but I'm not really clear on how you wear the Fitbit Zip. If it's in your pocket or clipped on your bra, how can you see those little faces?.

I wear it clipped to the waistband of my pants, and I just sort of tilt it toward me so I can see what it says. (It's quite tiny, so no one would notice it unless your shirt was tucked in, and even then, it's not bulky at all.)

You tap on the little screen to see the faces, the number of steps you've taken, number of calories burned (supposedly!) and the total distance you've walked. One thing I forgot to mention is that the screen isn't backlit. I don't have any problem with that, but if you need something that will light up in the dark, the Zip won't be a good choice for you. It also doesn't count the flights of stairs you've climbed like the Fitbit One does, but I don't care about that, and I have also read some conflicting reviews about how well that feature works, anyway.

I don't know if they're still sold but I like my striiv keychain. It tracks steps and stairs and gives challenges and rewards.

Happi duck,

I hadn't heard about that one! They are still on the market, but I haven't been able to find a way to get the striiv to the Netherlands. Will keep looking, because I really like the idea of those challenges.

Do you use the challenges often?

Happi duck,

I hadn't heard about that one! They are still on the market, but I haven't been able to find a way to get the striiv to the Netherlands. Will keep looking, because I really like the idea of those challenges.

Do you use the challenges often?

I like the challenges.  Sometimes they just pop up...when you go to look at how many steps you have there might be a challenge to accept or decline.  There are easy, medium and hard challenges.  They "cost" and then have a "reward"...everything you do racks up points toward donating to a cause...I think they give you three choices.

You can also choose to do a challenge whenever you want.

Challenges are things like doing a set number of stairs/steps/activity in a certain time.

There are also "trophies" which automatically happen...getting a good start in the morning, beating your average etc.

I also like that it works just in my pocket and doesn't need to be strapped on a certain way.  I have found it accurate.

This probably isn't serious equipment but it does help me realize how much or how little I'm moving.  I like games so I do find this motivating...I'll go up and down the basement stairs three times to have my keychain "cheer" and say "good job" but I probably wouldn't take the time just for the sake of moving more.  Weird but true.

Hope that's helpful!

Got my dh the Fitbit for his birthday. He loves/loved it. He lost it after one month. :huh: So, keep up w/ it if you can. It was kind of pricey to lose so quickly. Ugh.

True dh should contact the company and let him know that he lost it. I have heard that they are very good about replacing Fitbits that get lost or broken.

It's worth a try -- all they can say is no! :)

A friend of mine has a fitbit and loves it.  It is really small and can be clipped onto your clothing in a place where it is discretely hidden.  You do not need to wear it on the armband, it is more accurate for sleep  that way but otherwise you can clip it anywhere.  It automatically syncs with myfitnesspal which is something you may want to look into.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I had trouble choosing between the Fitbit Flex and the Striiv, both seem to be very nice.

I really liked the idea of having challenges with the Striiv, but I think -for now- it would be better to set my own challenges and not mess around with any sort of games (I tend to waste too much time already with electronics).

I ordered a Fitbit Flex, can't wait to see how active (or not....probably not!) I am :).

Thanks for all the feedback!

I had trouble choosing between the Fitbit Flex and the Striiv, both seem to be very nice.

I really liked the idea of having challenges with the Striiv, but I think -for now- it would be better to set my own challenges and not mess around with any sort of games (I tend to waste too much time already with electronics).

I ordered a Fitbit Flex, can't wait to see how active (or not....probably not!) I am :).

Let us know how you like the Flex! :)