Menu

Anyone celebrate "Not back to school?"

Wabi Sabi

Our local schools start back up tomorrow. The past couple of years we've done something fun to celebrate the first day of NOT back to school.

I'm still not sure what fun/special thing we should do tomorrow. Last year we went hiking, but tomorrow it is supposed to storm. We also have a swim class in the morning and an make-up piano lesson in the afternoon, so there isn't time to drive up to the nearest larger city where we have museum memberships. Perhaps we'll go see a movie in the theatre! That would be a huge treat for my two.

Does anyone else do something special for the first day of NOT back to school?

We are in an area with two districts with two different start dates so we have two "not back to school" days!

The kids are requesting cupcakes for one.

It is too hot for the parks, so I think we'll hit the arcade and grab some milkshakes. The movies sound awesome, but if we go everyone will want popcorn and then we'll need to take out a small loan to bankroll the event! :P

We used to go camping around the first or second week after public school started. Haven't done that in a while, but we tend to do more field trips, museum trips, etc., in early September after kids here are back in school and things are quieter.    We're talking about reviving our camping tradition this year.  I guess we'd better get on with the planning!

We go to the beach for our annual Not-Back-To-School-Vacation.  Usually it's a full week, but this year we have to delay it.  Bummer.  So we need to plan something fun for the first day, too.

I'm thinking a scavenger hunt for some fun goodies - some for school, some for fun - and lunch out.  We'll do some minor school stuff, mostly just looking at our new supplies and talking about our plans for the year.  

Oh I miss those days! When the kids were little, we went to the pancake house on the public school's first day. One year there was a crowd of women and I heard them talking about being relieved that school was back in. I was glad we weren't seated near them.

My kids always loved the ceremonial opening of the school supplies and organizing of books and stuff, followed by a light day of schoolwork on the first day. It's not "not back to school," though.

After my daughter left for college, my son and I experimented with going to lunch (at a restaurant his big sister didn't like) or something similar, but it didn't really stick. I love the idea, though.

It was either last year, or the year before, but we kicked off the new school year by going to the pool. Took pictures of Jackson lounging in a floating chair with sunglasses on and sipping his soda. :)

On a serious note: we're gearing up for the next year, but won't get into full swing until September. We have about half of our curriculum so far.

It was either last year, or the year before, but we kicked off the new school year by going to the pool. Took pictures of Jackson lounging in a floating chair with sunglasses on and sipping his soda. :)

On a serious note: we're gearing up for the next year, but won't get into full swing until September. We have about half of our curriculum so far.

I was hoping to go to the pool tomorrow, but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate. Boo!

I want to plan something, but we have tracks here and I am a little confused WHEN they start. The school nearest to us starts tomorrow. But I have plans tomorrow to go shopping (with kiddos) to get the rest of the stuff for our holiday coming up at the end of this week, so....not sure what we'll do.

Some schools start next week, maybe then we'll do something. OR I might just make our 1st day back (the 19th) special, we'll see.