Menu

glow in the dark stars help

HappyLady

I bought my DD a canopy to go around her bed that has glow-in-the-dark stars all over it.  The problem is that they don't glow.   :glare:  Or if they do it's only for a few minutes and I keep missing it.  I would return it, but this one was actually an "adult sized" one and since my DD is going to be moving into a queen sized bed I figured I needed the adult sized one.  So, now I'm trying to figure out how to make these stars glow.  I thought about buying some stars and sticking them on, but all the stars I've found online have very mixed reviews and I don't want to waste more money on this.  I thought about buying glow-in-the dark paint to paint the stars that are already on there, but again the reviews are mixed.

Does anyone have a brand of stars or paint that they could recommend?  My DD is very excited about this canopy and I really want to make it work for her.

A friend gave us these glow in the dark stars a few years ago and they still work wonderfully. I have them "Blu tack" (reusable putty-like pressure-sensitive adhesive) to my kitchen cabinet doors and to the bathroom walls. 

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Explorations-Glow-Wonder-Stars/dp/B00009ENDK

ETA:

by the time my whole family is done brushing our teeth, the stars are definitely charged up. My kitchen lights are on for at least 2 hours before bedtime.

My son has glow in the dark stars all over his ceiling and they stay glowing for up to 1/2 hour.  They do sell glow in the dark paint. If you are set on keeping the canopy, maybe you can paint over the stars with the glow in the dark paint.

I've had the canopy hanging in a window for about 3 days now thinking it needed more exposure to light, but that hasn't helped.  The stars are stuck on because some reviewers online complained about them falling off.  I ordered the stars that Arcadia suggested so hopefully I can get them to stick to the canopy.  :)

Is it dark when your dd goes to bed? Even though you charge them in the window, are you exposing them to bright light the last 15-30 minutes before bed? They don't need light all day--just 15-30 minutes before lights out.

Right now they're in our computer room (we're still working on getting DD's room ready) hanging over the curtain rod so they're getting light right up until the sun goes down.  I haven't watched them when it starts to get dark, but I've checked on them only minutes after and they're not glowing at all.  :(

We've used the gitd paint to decorate sheets, and it works great.

Also, we've found that some colors of light don't charge the paint at all. We use yellow bulbs at night, and that color doesn't charge it. I doubt you have yellow lights, but I thought I'd mention it!