Menu

I want to make a "year at a glance" form like I have seen here...

Johanna

I used Microsoft Publisher and used the "fill" to make each row a different color. If you have publisher I would be happy to send you my document and you can play with it. You can also do something similar using Word. Excel gives you the most flexibility and makes a very professional looking result but I am not comfortable enough with that program yet.

Year at a Glance

You can do it with Word. If you will tell me how many subjects you have and how many weeks you plan to school I can make you a chart and email it to you. I can even color code it for you so that all you have to do is type in the information! It will only take me a few minutes and if it would save you the time to figure it out yourself, I would be happy to do that! (If you are like me, it takes awhile to figure out something new when we're talking about computers.)

Blessings

PS If I make it for you and it ends up not working or you find something better for you - or you just hate it :D, no worries. I have no ego about that sort of thing! ;)

Jennefer, I've been looking for something like this but am computer-challenged. Would you mind sending it to me as well? I have MicroSoft Works instead of Word, but I'm sure I could convert it. THAT, I know how to do! :D

I'll pm you my email, in case you don't mind passing it on to me as well!

Thanks,

Jennefer-

Just wanted to say that you inspired me to make my own! It's so much easier than flipping through all the weeks just to find out the jist of what's coming up. I repped you earlier about this on the previous thread, but it wouldn't let me write anything, so sorry for the blank rep!

You can do it with Word. If you will tell me how many subjects you have and how many weeks you plan to school I can make you a chart and email it to you. I can even color code it for you so that all you have to do is type in the information! It will only take me a few minutes and if it would save you the time to figure it out yourself, I would be happy to do that! (If you are like me, it takes awhile to figure out something new when we're talking about computers.)

Blessings

PS If I make it for you and it ends up not working or you find something better for you - or you just hate it :D, no worries. I have no ego about that sort of thing! ;)

Wow, thanks so much, I will email you with the info. That is so helpful!!:)

I used Microsoft Publisher and used the "fill" to make each row a different color. If you have publisher I would be happy to send you my document and you can play with it. You can also do something similar using Word. Excel gives you the most flexibility and makes a very professional looking result but I am not comfortable enough with that program yet.

Year at a Glance

Love the idea! And love your blog -- the name is great. Beautiful kids. :)

Year at a Glance

Jennefer,

I'm impressed!

I've never done a year-at-a-glance. I have a question though. Do you work backwards? Meaning do you do your year-at-a-glance and then schedule weekly. Or do you simply use your year-at-a-glance as a guide and it kind of just "flows" the way it should?

I schedule everything out daily. I'm a true box-checker! I wonder if even doing a year-at-a-glance would be beneficial for me. More for show, possibly (like to the county reviewer I have to see every year).

Maybe it would help with my planning stump right now though. . .(I've hit "planning-block" and we are supposed to start SOON.)

I've never done a year-at-a-glance. I have a question though. Do you work backwards? Meaning do you do your year-at-a-glance and then schedule weekly. Or do you simply use your year-at-a-glance as a guide and it kind of just "flows" the way it should?

Here is what I wrote in another thread...

"My year at a glance is only just the start to my planning. I then break our year into four 10 week quarters. I plan one quarter at a time in detail. Each week gets it's own page.

For history and science I will get all the books for that time gathered and placed in a milk crate (one for history and one for science) along with all the supplies we will need for every project/experiment during that entire 10 weeks. I have learned that if I don't get materials gathered ahead of time it just doesn't get done! I do better spending a day or two running to stores and gathering up supplies rather than doing it here and there.

For the other subjects I read ahead to see what we will be covering, making notes for how I want to teach things and areas where I feel ds7 may struggle (or breeze through). I get any copies ready we may need and do any other prep for that as well.

Here is a link to the lesson plan form I used last year. (Lesson Plan Form)It was made using Excel (which dh had to help me do). I plan on doing something similar this year but adding social/emotional/physical goals for each quarter as well. I think this will help me be more intentional about educating the whole child - not just nurturing their intellect!"

Hope this helps!

Here is what I wrote in another thread...

"My year at a glance is only just the start to my planning. I then break our year into four 10 week quarters. I plan one quarter at a time in detail. Each week gets it's own page."

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. I will have to give this some consideration.

Based on the manner in which I already schedule our workload, it maybe better for me to do a "summary" type dealy, rather than a chart. . .a chart would be infinately easier though. . .

Walking away doing my best Pooh impersonation:

"Think, think, think" (finger tapping noggin)

I have posted both my yearly and weekly schedules on my blog for my oldest son, if anyone cares to see it. They were very easy to make using MS Word and inserting tables. The background images were made by inserting a watermark. First I went to google and searched for the image, then downloaded it. Then you just click Insert on your document, choose Watermark, and upload it. My kids just love them.

blog is linked in my signature

I print mine out on card stock and keep it at the front of my teacher binder. For me it is just an overview so I don't want too much info. I flesh it out later in detailed weekly lesson plans. I use a 7 or 8 point font (in some cubes even smaller) and use an easily readable font (like Arial) so even when tiny, it can be read.

It completely depends on your needs. If it would serve you better to make one with more detail then do that for sure! Make the tool work for you not you fit your needs to the tool!

Good luck!

Year at a Glance

:)Thanks so much for sharing this! I hadn't thought of doing this and your example made it so easy for me to visualize and implement. This is such a great idea. (I just use Excel to create simple spreadsheet and it worked well too.)

Blessings,

I'm working on mine right now and am running into that problem - not enough room. And I don't even think I'm being very detailed. The way I decided to tackle it was to make two YIR (year in review) charts - one with our "priority" subjects (math, language arts, reading) and one with our other subjects (science, history, art/music, PE/health, German). I love the finished product but the process is making me crazy right now. I'll be glad when I have a beautiful chart in front of me though. BTW, I am making my charts for a 3rd grader and a 1st grader.

Is this something you print out, or do you just look at it on your computer? I have so many subjects, that I don't think it will all fit on one page!

Wendi

For history and science I will get all the books for that time gathered and placed in a milk crate (one for history and one for science) along with all the supplies we will need for every project/experiment during that entire 10 weeks. I have learned that if I don't get materials gathered ahead of time it just doesn't get done! I do better spending a day or two running to stores and gathering up supplies rather than doing it here and there.

This is brilliant! :)