Menu

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Excelsior! Academy

We have a closet that the washer and dryer are in, so I can't leave the door open, so we recently went with a top loader without the agitator.

I'm not happy with it.

It fits more than the one with the agitator, but it's much rougher on the clothes IMO. My dishcloths have holes.

When it dies, I'm going to try to go back to one with the agitator.

I have a front loader.  It does laundry for 8 people.  I don't have an unconquerable problem with mustiness.  Every now and then (2-3 times a year) I wipe down the rubber gasket with some bleach.  We are using an LG.

When W. sent out the stimulus checks we bought the LG to replace the 1972 Maytag washer (still in perfectly good condition)  that my parents purchased back in the day.  THAT washer did laundry for a family of 6 before it came to me.  The old, old Maytag used a lot of water and was very good at agitating, hence, my clothes came out clean.  

The LG uses way less water and, well, I just don't think it cleans quite as well.  It's OK.  I'm grateful for it.  It sure does hold a lot of clothes.  Our water bill went down.  But if I need to let something SOAK, I have to get a big rubbermaid tub or something.  It looks nice.  

My brother in law sells appliances and he says keep the old washers going for as long as you possibly can.  

I actually love my front loader. It is 6 years old, a Whirlpool Duet, and it gets a workout--I have cloth diapered for the last nearly-5-years. I think it works fabulously--better than a top loader. DH emptied the filter a few months ago (and found an interesting variety of small toys and other items), but other than that, it has not needed any service.

We don't have a funky smell in ours. The gasket sometimes gets a little icky, but I can wipe that out and then it's fine.

I've had my front loader for over eight years. I don't leave the door ajar, I don't wash around the seal, I don't run a special wash periodically to clean. I've never had problems with odor. I've always attributed that to my exclusive use of Amway products. :D

I am very happy with my front-loader.

I've used several frontloaders when visiting family and friends - I stay for extended times ;).  I hate them - the frontloading washers.

I big giant puffy heart LOVE my Fisher Paykel Aquasmart, top loading washer and dryer.  I especially love that I can turn the "eco friendliness" OFF and actually get kid's clothes clean. 

I'm on my second front loader.  Neither has/had any smell issues at all.  They both were/are excellent at cleaning.  At least as good, and maybe better, than the top loaders I've had.  The "secret" is to read the manual and follow the instructions.  I doubt I'll ever go back to a top loader.  Well, maybe if my front loader died and someone offered me a brand new top-of-the-line top loader for free.  But that's about the only way.

I greatly prefer top loaders. When I had to use the laundromat because my 17-year-old top loader died, I expected those front loaders to get my clothes cleaner, but it didn't happen and the cycles are looooong. After two months, I got sick of the laundromat, had finally researched the issue, and bought another top loader.

I went with a Speed Queen. I've never dealt with ANY washing machine maintenance OR repairs with my old machine and I wasn't going to start now. I certainly didn't want to think about having to clean a washing machine. That's nuts!

My old and new top loaders both held a rectangular clothes basket full of clothes. I don't really want loads larger than that since I'm hauling laundry up and down two flights of steps. (Stupid basement laundry.). The largest thing I wash is a queen comforter an it fit in both my old and new washers.

I don't live in a desert, so my water is plentiful, not hard, and WAY cheaper than electricity. I also have a belief that the water does most of the cleaning work involved and the (homemade) detergent just helps a bit. I like to let some loads soak. If you wash sweat-laden judo gis you might understand.

I believe I can get loads washed and dried faster with my top loader. Front loaders take forever. They're supposed to spin better, which leads to shorter drying times. I saw no difference in drying times, but MUCH longer wash times.

I use front loaders.  My first one wasn't all that good but now my LG one is great.  No smells, very fast cycles, lower bills, and my clothes come out clean.  One thing you might consider is who will be doing laundry, how old and tall they are, and that kind of thing.  I won't use top loaders since I find them hard to use and likely to aggravate my arthritis.  Front loader is so much easier to use by smaller people including kids and anyone with any sort of mobility issue.

I certainly didn't want to think about having to clean a washing machine. That's nuts!

I've always periodically cleaned my washing machines, top loaders as well as front loaders.  When I grew up all we had were top loaders, and my mom taught me from the beginning to clean them occasionally.  The top loaders tend to get very dirty and gunky under the "lip" over time (I'm not sure what the correct term is--it's the area above the tub and below the top of the machine).

I've always periodically cleaned my washing machines, top loaders as well as front loaders.  When I grew up all we had were top loaders, and my mom taught me from the beginning to clean them occasionally.  The top loaders tend to get very dirty and gunky under the "lip" over time (I'm not sure what the correct term is--it's the area above the tub and below the top of the machine).

La la la la la . . . I can't hear you!

I would like to invite myself to be your friend.  My washer is in need of your attention.  :)  :)  :)  

I greatly prefer top loaders. When I had to use the laundromat because my 17-year-old top loader died, I expected those front loaders to get my clothes cleaner, but it didn't happen and the cycles are looooong. After two months, I got sick of the laundromat, had finally researched the issue, and bought another top loader.

I went with a Speed Queen. I've never dealt with ANY washing machine maintenance OR repairs with my old machine and I wasn't going to start now. I certainly didn't want to think about having to clean a washing machine. That's nuts!

My old and new top loaders both held a rectangular clothes basket full of clothes. I don't really want loads larger than that since I'm hauling laundry up and down two flights of steps. (Stupid basement laundry.). The largest thing I wash is a queen comforter an it fit in both my old and new washers.

I don't live in a desert, so my water is plentiful, not hard, and WAY cheaper than electricity. I also have a belief that the water does most of the cleaning work involved and the (homemade) detergent just helps a bit. I like to let some loads soak. If you wash sweat-laden judo gis you might understand.

I believe I can get loads washed and dried faster with my top loader. Front loaders take forever. They're supposed to spin better, which leads to shorter drying times. I saw no difference in drying times, but MUCH longer wash times.

I love my Speed Queen. Even dirty whites get sparkling clean. Big tub. Owner-controlled, not computer-controlled (old fashioned dials).

I've had a front loader for about 5 years now, since our old top loader died.  I don't like it.  All of our clothes get little holes in them, especially the thinner t-shirts.  If I forgot something and want to throw it in I can't just open the lid and toss it in, I have to wait for it to stop and unlock the door.  I can't really soak a big load, since not all of the clothes are wet.  It gets a musty smell if its a hot day and I accidentally leave them in too long.  I don't feel as though my clothes get cleaner (shirts still smell like deoderant in the pits sometimes!)  

We have a closet that the washer and dryer are in, so I can't leave the door open, so we recently went with a top loader without the agitator.

I'm not happy with it.

It fits more than the one with the agitator, but it's much rougher on the clothes IMO. My dishcloths have holes.

When it dies, I'm going to try to go back to one with the agitator.

I didn't even know they made such a thing. This is our first time to washing machine shop ever.

I have a front loader. It does laundry for 8 people. I don't have an unconquerable problem with mustiness. Every now and then (2-3 times a year) I wipe down the rubber gasket with some bleach. We are using an LG.

When W. sent out the stimulus checks we bought the LG to replace the 1972 Maytag washer (still in perfectly good condition) that my parents purchased back in the day. THAT washer did laundry for a family of 6 before it came to me. The old, old Maytag used a lot of water and was very good at agitating, hence, my clothes came out clean.

The LG uses way less water and, well, I just don't think it cleans quite as well. It's OK. I'm grateful for it. It sure does hold a lot of clothes. Our water bill went down. But if I need to let something SOAK, I have to get a big rubbermaid tub or something. It looks nice.

My brother in law sells appliances and he says keep the old washers going for as long as you possibly can.

This has been a concern of mine. We used to have a 1950's Maytag set. They were great!

I actually love my front loader. It is 6 years old, a Whirlpool Duet, and it gets a workout--I have cloth diapered for the last nearly-5-years. I think it works fabulously--better than a top loader. DH emptied the filter a few months ago (and found an interesting variety of small toys and other items), but other than that, it has not needed any service.

We don't have a funky smell in ours. The gasket sometimes gets a little icky, but I can wipe that out and then it's fine.

We looked at a duet, they had pretty mixed reviews. If the one we have chosen doesn't work out (on hold on clearance) we might reconsider.

I've had my front loader for over eight years. I don't leave the door ajar, I don't wash around the seal, I don't run a special wash periodically to clean. I've never had problems with odor. I've always attributed that to my exclusive use of Amway products. :D

I am very happy with my front-loader.

Dh's parents used to sell Amway. I'll see if they still do. Good suggestion!

I've used several frontloaders when visiting family and friends - I stay for extended times ;). I hate them - the frontloading washers.

I big giant puffy heart LOVE my Fisher Paykel Aquasmart, top loading washer and dryer. I especially love that I can turn the "eco friendliness" OFF and actually get kid's clothes clean.

I detest Eco Friendliness settings. I love that you can turn it off. Also it is a good product that you can break out the puffy heart for! :)

I'm on my second front loader. Neither has/had any smell issues at all. They both were/are excellent at cleaning. At least as good, and maybe better, than the top loaders I've had. The "secret" is to read the manual and follow the instructions. I doubt I'll ever go back to a top loader. Well, maybe if my front loader died and someone offered me a brand new top-of-the-line top loader for free. But that's about the only way.

Manual reading noted!

You can wash a queen comforter? Wow. I was not able to with my large capacity top loader. Avoiding regular trips to the cleaners to wash various bedding was one of our considerations in a front loader.

I use front loaders. My first one wasn't all that good but now my LG one is great. No smells, very fast cycles, lower bills, and my clothes come out clean. One thing you might consider is who will be doing laundry, how old and tall they are, and that kind of thing. I won't use top loaders since I find them hard to use and likely to aggravate my arthritis. Front loader is so much easier to use by smaller people including kids and anyone with any sort of mobility issue.

In theory the children will rotate laundry, in reality it will be me. Hopefully, a new washer will encourage them to WANT to use it. ;)

I've had my front loader for about 6 years now and have no problem with odors. I do leave the door open sometimes, but only by mistake.

That would be me.

I've always periodically cleaned my washing machines, top loaders as well as front loaders. When I grew up all we had were top loaders, and my mom taught me from the beginning to clean them occasionally. The top loaders tend to get very dirty and gunky under the "lip" over time (I'm not sure what the correct term is--it's the area above the tub and below the top of the machine).

Showing my ignorance, other than elbow grease, how does one clean a washing machine? Is there a special product?

We used to have a stinky front loader. I changed from liquid to powder detergent. It doesn't stink any more!!!

Yay!

Dh researched and found the same to be true. Powder doesn't work well in my top loader. Are front loaders different?

I would like to invite myself to be your friend. My washer is in need of your attention. :) :) :)

* raises hand*. Me, too! Me, too!

I love my Speed Queen. Even dirty whites get sparkling clean. Big tub. Owner-controlled, not computer-controlled (old fashioned dials).

I didn't even think to ask about computer-controlled.

I've had a front loader for about 5 years now, since our old top loader died. I don't like it. All of our clothes get little holes in them, especially the thinner t-shirts. If I forgot something and want to throw it in I can't just open the lid and toss it in, I have to wait for it to stop and unlock the door. I can't really soak a big load, since not all of the clothes are wet. It gets a musty smell if its a hot day and I accidentally leave them in too long. I don't feel as though my clothes get cleaner (shirts still smell like deoderant in the pits sometimes!)

This is a concern. I didn't even think about not being able to toss a garment in late. I do that all of the time!

You can wash a queen comforter? Wow. I was not able to with my large capacity top loader. Avoiding regular trips to the cleaners to wash various bedding was one of our considerations in a front loader.

I can if I override the water saver feature. I guess by law, new machines have to limit the water they add, but Speed Queen lets you add more water if you need it :-). My old machine, a Magic Chef that lasted 17 years, also held a queen comforter. They don't make those anymore. It was a great machine. Clearly, I am partial to top loaders with NO electronic controls.

I didn't even think to ask about computer-controlled.

When I was shopping for washing machine, I googled the names of various models + manual + pdf and was able to find most of them online. It had been a long time since I had bought a machine, and, frankly, I was shocked. I do not want the machine to weigh my load and use the minimum amount of water. I don't want a lid that cannot be opened after the cycle starts, and on and on. I want to choose my own water level, temperature and speed. 

SQ is a company that makes commercial washers for laundromats and is not sold in big box stores, but at appliance dealers. For some reason that I cannot figure out, it is not reviewed by Consumer Reports... But if you search on this forum, you will find a number of posts/threads with SQ. Amazon also has some good reviews.

Showing my ignorance, other than elbow grease, how does one clean a washing machine? Is there a special product?

You can Google and get lots of variations on the basic method.

Here is one set of instructions.

Back in the day when my mom taught me to do it, we always added a few gallons of hot water once the tub had initially filled, so that the water level was over the "lip."  The part I'm calling the "lip" is the picture in the link where the lady is wiping it with a red sponge.  Adding extra water allowed the water/bleach mixture to slosh over that area.  I don't know if there'd be any problem with doing it that way with newer machines or not.  It's been quite a few years since I've owned a top loader.