Menu

Favorite DVD's for Littles

MommyPillow

Scholastic Storybook Classics DVDs are sweet and gentle. There are Eric Carle stories, Chrysanthemum, Where the Wild Things are etc. Most libraries have those DVDs that are based on those books.  http://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Video-Collection-27-Bundle/sim/B000BCLI26/2

I also really like Little Bear and Max and Ruby.

Disney's Little Einsteins is a huge favorite of my dd.

Spot series and Harold and the Purple Crayon series are good. 

The Jakers series is exceedingly well-done and very, very sweet.  My 3 yo is incredibly sensitive, though, so we're waiting a bit (for comparison Magic School Bus is totally not-watchable by him). 

Here Comes Science is good, though it is quite secular in tone and the first song ("Science is Real") makes disparaging remarks about the reality of angels, which I am content to work with but might be unacceptable to some.  Terrific content, though.  We also like their Here Come the 123s (this has no anti-angel content ;) )and would like to get our hands on the alphabet one. 

To the OP -- does your 3yo like the All About series? 

I second Jakers - check your local PBS channel because sometimes it's on a random times on the weekend, if you want to get a feel for it.

A bunch of the Beatrix Potter stories were animated (I think by BBC) back in the 90's and they came out on DVD within the last few years. They were really well done - you could tell they made an effort to stay true to her illustration style.

We also love Octonauts, although I'm not sure if the DVDs are out in the US yet. Lunar Jim is a cute show as well, if you have Netflix.

Scholastic Storybook Classics DVDs are sweet and gentle. There are Eric Carle stories, Chrysanthemum, Where the Wild Things are etc. Most libraries have those DVDs that are based on those books. http://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Video-Collection-27-Bundle/sim/B000BCLI26/2

We love these as well! There are several different sets with up to 100 stories in each collection. The best part is that they can be played with subtitles (the original story line) and some even have a Spanish or French play option that is amazing for supplementation to learning Spanish for us!

We aren't huge fans of educational videos in general, but my kids have loved the They Might Be Giants music videos put out by Disney.  They are about an hour long each with puppets of the lead singers hosting/introducing the songs.

The ABC's

The 123's

Here Comes Science

My kids (now age 3 & 4 1/2) love and have loved Sid the science kid, superwhy, leap frog, All abouts, wiggles, Mickey Mouse clubhouse, word world, curious George, jake and the never land pirates, special agent oso, Daniel tiger's neighborhood, bob the builder, Thomas the train, fireman Sam, etc. I will say my kids watched Timmy time once and I won't let them anymore...it appeared that all dialogue between the characters (animals) was animal sounds. It got very annoying to this Mama after 1/2 of one episode! Lol