Menu

George was kidnapped from the jungle and sold to a zoo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd was listening to this today and it made me think of this thread and the fact that George is not actually a monkey. :lol:

It's just a funny Veggie Tales song.

Dd is 11 and still likes Curious George. She is big into animal protection and currently wants to be an "animal cop" (Humane Law Enforcement). Her love of Hippos led her to discover the horrible reality of animal poaching and many other evils inflicted on the animal world. We don't go to the circus and have participated in boycotts etc.based on animal welfare. However, dd has no trouble separating out the issues. She obviously 'gets it' better at 11 than she did at 6 but she holds no ill will toward the Curious George books. I think it is all in how you approach these type of issues when you come across them in life, in movies, or in print.

When my dd was 3 (maybe 4, but I think 3) I read her Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Talk about a story chock full of moral issues! She loved it and was wise enough at 3 to empathize with the rats and see the NIMH people as bad.

This mention reminds me of the thread about Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH & how the rats were a bunch of fascists, selfish, and manipulative.  :driving:  

IMO, lots of fodder for discussion with these books .... Just a matter of determining if you want to talk about such things or avoid them until children are of a certain age. 

Nonetheless, it is a good heads-up for those who didn't realize what Curious George (or Rainbow Fish or ...) was about.

(I know I was grateful someone on Amazon posted about how The Circle Opens & especially The Circle Continues books by Tamera Pierce had some plot lines which were 'older' than what I wanted my 10 year old to be reading. Her Circle of Magic books were ok for her, but I realized I wanted her to be Quite A Bit Older before reading some of the rest of the series. It isn't that I don't want her 'exposed' to what is in those books, just that she should be more mature so we can have discussions about the content.)

I always thought the Cuious George stories were were analogies for the Holocost, and the Reys were very aware of the horror and cruelty of taking George out of the jungle and putting him in the zoo. The zoo stood for the concentration camp, and the animals stood for at least eight million Jews, Catholics, Roma, homosexuals, and other souls who were interred and slaughtered during Hitler's rule. 

I think it was their way of talking about it in the form of a children's book. The series has a whole new meaning, when looked at with this viewpoint, I thiInk.

I always thought the Cuious George stories were were analogies for the Holocost, and the Reys were very aware of the horror and cruelty of taking George out of the jungle and putting him in the zoo. The zoo stood for the concentration camp, and the animals stood for at least eight million Jews, Catholics, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other souls who were interred and slaughtered during Hitler's rule.

I think it was their way of talking about it in the form of a children's book. The series has a whole new meaning, when looked at with this viewpoint, I thiInk.

Have you seen this?

The Journey that Saved Curious George

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0547417462

In 1940, Hans and Margret Rey fled their Paris home as the German army advanced. They began their harrowing journey on bicycles, pedaling to Southern France with children’s book manuscripts among their few possessions.

Louise Borden combed primary resources, including Hans Rey’s pocket diaries, to tell this dramatic true story. Archival materials introduce readers to the world of Hans and Margret Rey while Allan Drummond dramatically and colorfully illustrates their wartime trek to a new home.

Have you seen this?

Yes, I am Jewish, and Curious George has a very important place in the  hearts of Jewish people because he is a Holocost survivor. 

I never ever thought the Reys were saying it's okay to keep animals in the zoo. I always thought that they were speaking of how horrid zoos were, but zoos were considered socially acceptable and no one knew or cared how the animals were aquired for the zoo and kept in cages. In my mind, very similar to the rumors of concentration camps years before their existence became well- known, but they existed during the time when Hitler was considered a legitimate leader and thus was considered acceptable to much of Germany and the world because he brought the appearance of economic stability to Germany. Am I making sense? My thoughts are very disjointed right now because I am tired and writing on a tablet and it is difficult to type or edit.

George is always narrowly escaping danger, this is a well-known analogy to the Reys' and many other Holocost survivors escape from almost certain dearh at the hands of the Nazis.

I always thought the Cuious George stories were were analogies for the Holocost, and the Reys were very aware of the horror and cruelty of taking George out of the jungle and putting him in the zoo. The zoo stood for the concentration camp, and the animals stood for at least eight million Jews, Catholics, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other souls who were interred and slaughtered during Hitler's rule. 

Yes, I am Jewish, and Curious George has a very important place in the  hearts of Jewish people because he is a Holocost survivor. 

I never ever thought the Reys were saying it's okay to keep animals in the zoo. I always thought that they were speaking of how horrid zoos were, but zoos were considered socially acceptable and no one knew or cared how the animals were aquired for the zoo and kept in cages. In my mind, very similar to the rumors of concentration camps years before their existence became well- known, but they existed during the time when Hitler was considered a legitimate leader and thus was considered acceptable to much of Germany and the world because he brought the appearance of economic stability to Germany. Am I making sense? My thoughts are very disjointed right now because I am tired and writing on a tablet and it is difficult to type or edit.

George is always narrowly escaping danger, this is a well-known analogy to the Reys' and many other Holocost survivors escape from almost certain dearh at the hands of the Nazis.

This is a fascinating perspective. Thanks for sharing it!

Have you seen this?

We have this book, and I read it to my kids. 

This summer, I am reading aloud Grimm's Fairy Tales, which is full of all sorts of sordid stuff.  My sons were quoting from one of the stories about the fisherman whose wife was "the bane of his life".  It was a clever little ditty, and they found it hilarious.