Menu

I need a new meatloaf recipe!

ScoutTN

I use 1.5 lbs of beef, 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 eggs, 1/2 c ketchup, onion powder (real onion is better, but the kids get mad), garlic powder, hot sauce (just a bit), mustard (no clue how much), salt, pepper. I sometimes put in Worchestershire sauce.

It's best when I cook it in the crock-pot. I put it in a glass loaf pan, then place that in the crock-pot. It comes out perfect that way.

My favorite is pretty simple. Half a pound each of ground beef, pork, and ham. Crunch up a bunch of saltines (or breadcrumbs, if you prefer) with a little can of evaporated milk (regular milk works fine if that's all you have) and 2 eggs. Let the crumbs soak in the eggy milk for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper, and a splorge of mustard if you're so inclined. Make an oval loaf, cover with foil and bake at 375 for 50 minutes or so, depending on thickness. Take off the foil, slather a paste of brown sugar and fruit juice over it, bake for another 5 minutes or so.

Edited because condensed milk is not the same as evaporated and would make the meatloaf taste really weird.

My go to recipe is easy-peasy: a lb of ground beef, a small can of evaporated milk, and 2-3 T dry onion soup mix. Combine, put in pan, and cover with a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, and a TBSP of mustard. It is very soft raw, but when cooked is very moist.

The one I make is pretty standard, but I mix one of those little cans of crushed pineapple, juice and all, into the ketchup/brown sugar topping.  So good.

I think it was this one, but with crushed pineapple instead of the preserves:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tantalizingly-Tangy-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=meatloaf&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Dh would walk over hot coals for this meatloaf.

I make Little Cheddar Meatloaf from taste of home.

The basics are:

ground beef

some oatmeal

1 egg

1/4 cup milk

onion or onion powder

garlic powder

6-8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together and shape into little meatloaves on a jelly roll pan

mix ketchup, a bit of mustard, and some brown sugar. Spoon on the top. Bake at 350 until done. Serve with more of the sauce. Really yummy and I often make with 3# of meat so that we have leftovers as they freeze well and reheat well and easy to take 1 or 2 out at a time.

Barefoot Contessa's is our favorite. Use turkey or ground beef or both:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html

Oh, and 3 cups of onions is crazy sounding. I use one regular onion. :) I use a 1/2 cup measure (my set is oval and it's pretty, lol) to make mini meat loaves on a rimmed cookie sheet. They bake faster that way and get the nice crusty edge all around unlike in a muffin tin.