Menu

Fundraisers on an individual basis??

k2bdeutmeyer

DD13 would really like to participate in a cheer program that she tried out for at the end of May. The fees are more than we can handle (even 1/2 of - assuming her dad would pay his 1/2). She's willing to do whatever she can to do it. I thought of fundraising. The cheer program doesn't do it, but what could she do on an individual basis? Is it even possible to raise $500 (ish) without a group to fundraise with? The gym does not offer scholarships either.

She has anxiety issues and one of her triggers is anything with an engine, so lawn mowing is out. She can baby/pet sit, but our neighborhood is essentially kid free and we aren't exactly the type of neighborhood that is out and friendly. My family doesn't have the $$ to help, and DH's just doesn't do that type of thing, unfortunately. We have to commit (or not) next week, so whatever she does (if anything) to raise the $$ would pretty much have to be a guarantee.

Any ideas? Or do we just need to gently let her know that she's out of luck?

Honestly, if you knew you couldn't afford it, I'm not sure you should have let her try out (and I say that gently). That just seems to set her up for failure, one way or another. If you (and her) can't figure out a way to come up with the money, I would at least acknowledge (in letting her down gently) that it was a mistake on my end to allow her to go for something we knew couldn't happen. That's just me though :)

As to your original question, I would have no personal problem with giving to a fundraiser of this sort... but I'm not sure what you could give in return that would generate that much cash so quickly. If your family is close by, but hasn't the money to contribute, would they be willing to donate gently used items for a last minute yard sale? Maybe kick in and help (physically) with a car wash fundraiser?

Honestly, if you knew you couldn't afford it, I'm not sure you should have let her try out (and I say that gently). That just seems to set her up for failure, one way or another. If you (and her) can't figure out a way to come up with the money, I would at least acknowledge (in letting her down gently) that it was a mistake on my end to allow her to go for something we knew couldn't happen. That's just me though :)

As to your original question, I would have no personal problem with giving to a fundraiser of this sort... but I'm not sure what you could give in return that would generate that much cash so quickly. If your family is close by, but hasn't the money to contribute, would they be willing to donate gently used items for a last minute yard sale? Maybe kick in and help (physically) with a car wash fundraiser?

We had no idea what the fees would be. They didn't reveal them until today. Try outs were in May, then they did a 1 month trial period before having a parent meeting where they revealed the costs and fees.

Family lemonade stand? My dd earned nearly $50 one weekend. Have a sign saying what the proceeds go to and you'll likely get donations too.

I thought about that....and we might try it, but I'm not sure how successful it would be. We live on a street with essentially no traffic.

I'd probably tell her no, but encourage her to start saving and maybe do babysitting this year, trying against next year with cash in hand.

Perhaps advertising at various churches near you, where there might be a church secretary to help you "vet" the responding families, might help. Advertising also at a homeschool Co-op and even community or neighborhood centers, which often publish little newsletters with lists of babysitters could be helpful. Getting her Red Cross Babysitting cert might make her more attractive.

I'm of the opinion that, in general, "personal fundraising" is called "work."

She needs a sponsor.

Look for area businesses, ideally small and local businesses - is there one you frequent who knows your family, especially your daughter? In return for sponsorship she can pass flyers door-to-door, wear a practice shirt or carry a duffle bag with their logo on it, or even "volunteer" at the business (cleaning, running orders to waiting cars, etc.)

Do you attend church? Is there any way to spread the word (bulletin, website, bulletin board) that your daughter is raising funds? She may not mow, but what about weeding, planting, trimming, general maintenance (cleaning trash cans, washing windows, etc.).

This is a busy time for real estate. My sons have made money in the past by putting out and removing signs - for sale/lease, open house, etc. She'd need your driving help, obviously. They've also made money doing cold calling to offer the agent's CMA services. NOT FUN but the agent provided the numbers and a script, and it was an air-conditioned gig. That could be another sponsorship option, too.

Is it possible to work directly with the gym? I know our gym doesn't love it, but has been open to allowing parents to barter services in lieu of formal scholarships. Cleaning, advertising, etc.

Otherwise the previously mentioned garage sales, car washes (every day if necessary), cookie/water/lemonade stand options are the only way to ensure she gets the money in time to commit. I know your neighborhood isn't the friendly kind but what about offering the pet-sitting services via craigslist?

Can her dad afford to pay his half, and possibly more? If not, and it's a matter of his CHOICE, that's a bum deal. If so, as hard as it may be, would it be possible to borrow your half from him? She could work it off, or you could enter a re-payment plan with him - assuming the relationship allows for that kind of arrangment. Most reasonable parents mightn't like that, or want to set up a precedent, but may risk it for something this important to their child. It's just another option. As is asking his family for sponsorships or early birthday/holiday gifts since yours and DH's aren't an option for that.

Is she a seasoned cheerleader? Might she be able to run a small mini-camp for little kids? I'd be willing to pay someone to spend a few hours teaching basic cheers to my girl - nothing as committed as a class or camp, but something to do over summer for the 4-8 year old set who had a passing interest in that. Since your neighborhood is what it is, maybe advertise on craigslist or put out the word at church, local businesses, homeschool group, etc. Respect what your neighborhood is, but don't accept it - put flyers door to door letting them know she's an area girl hoping to do something constructive. Maybe some of them will thaw and branch out a bit LOL. Or at least pass along the information to friends who might.

If she's willing to hustle for it, I say go for it. Encourage her to work hard for the things that are important to her, keeping in mind that it's not a guaranteed thing. Be prepared for disappointment if she works hard and falls short, but know it's an important lesson to learn (better now when the stakes are lower, too.) But remind her she's worth hustling for and teach her that she's going to have to work hard to get to where she needs to be. In this case, financially, but those same skills transfer over to cheer, school, relationships, and so many other areas in life.

Good luck to her, I hope she makes it!

Is this a newer gym, or maybe an older gym under new management?

To quote AimeeM, it does seem a bit odd that an established gym wouldn't know a ballpark fee in advance, wouldn't offer scholarships, and wouldn't do a group fundraiser. But that could all be explained if this were a gym still getting its feet wet, or branching out for the first time into this program.

I'd probably tell her no, but encourage her to start saving and maybe do babysitting this year, trying against next year with cash in hand.

Perhaps advertising at various churches near you, where there might be a church secretary to help you "vet" the responding families, might help. Advertising also at a homeschool Co-op and even community or neighborhood centers, which often publish little newsletters with lists of babysitters could be helpful. Getting her Red Cross Babysitting cert might make her more attractive.

I'm of the opinion that, in general, "personal fundraising" is called "work."

She did take a babysitting course through the local hospital this spring, so while she isn't CPR certified, she is trained to some degree. I totally agree with the "work" statement. She comments regularly about how she wishes she was 14 so she could get a job :)

She needs a sponsor.

Look for area businesses, ideally small and local businesses - is there one you frequent who knows your family, especially your daughter? In return for sponsorship she can pass flyers door-to-door, wear a practice shirt or carry a duffle bag with their logo on it, or even "volunteer" at the business (cleaning, running orders to waiting cars, etc.)

Do you attend church? Is there any way to spread the word (bulletin, website, bulletin board) that your daughter is raising funds? She may not mow, but what about weeding, planting, trimming, general maintenance (cleaning trash cans, washing windows, etc.).

This is a busy time for real estate. My sons have made money in the past by putting out and removing signs - for sale/lease, open house, etc. She'd need your driving help, obviously. They've also made money doing cold calling to offer the agent's CMA services. NOT FUN but the agent provided the numbers and a script, and it was an air-conditioned gig. That could be another sponsorship option, too.

Is it possible to work directly with the gym? I know our gym doesn't love it, but has been open to allowing parents to barter services in lieu of formal scholarships. Cleaning, advertising, etc.

Otherwise the previously mentioned garage sales, car washes (every day if necessary), cookie/water/lemonade stand options are the only way to ensure she gets the money in time to commit. I know your neighborhood isn't the friendly kind but what about offering the pet-sitting services via craigslist?

Can her dad afford to pay his half, and possibly more? If not, and it's a matter of his CHOICE, that's a bum deal. If so, as hard as it may be, would it be possible to borrow your half from him? She could work it off, or you could enter a re-payment plan with him - assuming the relationship allows for that kind of arrangment. Most reasonable parents mightn't like that, or want to set up a precedent, but may risk it for something this important to their child. It's just another option. As is asking his family for sponsorships or early birthday/holiday gifts since yours and DH's aren't an option for that.

Is she a seasoned cheerleader? Might she be able to run a small mini-camp for little kids? I'd be willing to pay someone to spend a few hours teaching basic cheers to my girl - nothing as committed as a class or camp, but something to do over summer for the 4-8 year old set who had a passing interest in that. Since your neighborhood is what it is, maybe advertise on craigslist or put out the word at church, local businesses, homeschool group, etc. Respect what your neighborhood is, but don't accept it - put flyers door to door letting them know she's an area girl hoping to do something constructive. Maybe some of them will thaw and branch out a bit LOL. Or at least pass along the information to friends who might.

If she's willing to hustle for it, I say go for it. Encourage her to work hard for the things that are important to her, keeping in mind that it's not a guaranteed thing. Be prepared for disappointment if she works hard and falls short, but know it's an important lesson to learn (better now when the stakes are lower, too.) But remind her she's worth hustling for and teach her that she's going to have to work hard to get to where she needs to be. In this case, financially, but those same skills transfer over to cheer, school, relationships, and so many other areas in life.

Good luck to her, I hope she makes it!

Lots of great advice, thank you! Her dad, well....oy. He's a piece of work. I'm quite certain he has the money (he has recently purchased a motorcycle, car, new fencing, gutted and remodeled his entire house, and is discussing purchasing a boat and/or camper and a truck to haul them, as well as taking his family on a vacation despite the fact that he hasn't paid any of his child support in 6 months, but I digress). At this point in time he's completely refusing to pay anything, so this may all be a moot point anyway.

We don't currently have a home church and we are not involved in any co-ops or homeschool groups. We literally have NO social circle to tap into :(

As far as working with the gym, well, that's a little complex. I coached at this gym for over 10yr (left 6yr ago when DD6 was born). I pulled my DD6 out of classes there when she was 4 and went to a competitor. It wasn't a matter of having an issue with the gym as much as the fact that, at the time, they didn't have what DD needed, however it did make things a little awkward. And truthfully, my DH works full time and is a full time student......I don't really have time to commit to them anyway.

She is not a seasoned cheerleader :( However, you make a great point about the neighborhood!

Is this a newer gym, or maybe an older gym under new management?

To quote AimeeM, it does seem a bit odd that an established gym wouldn't know a ballpark fee in advance, wouldn't offer scholarships, and wouldn't do a group fundraiser. But that could all be explained if this were a gym still getting its feet wet, or branching out for the first time into this program.

No, it's a very well established gym and program. As I said before, I coached there for a LONG time.....and my former BFF is also head of administrative side of the cheer program now. I chatted with her a little about the money, it's only because of my tie with her that I know this, but the lady that used to head up the cheer program left and it sounds like didn't really leave them much info. My friend had to do all the research regarding competition fees, etc in order to figure out what it would cost when divided up among the team members. Why they didn't do all that prior to tryouts, I really have no idea!

My daughter held a car-wash a few years ago to pay for her entrance fee ($300) for an MS bike ride across our state. She had three people helping her though, one of them being my husband. She had permission to hold it at a site right on a busy highway, but in a store parking lot that had a waterline and hose hook-up. She earned $300 in one day! Her co-workers all worked very hard, and of course gave her all the proceeds.

Another thing my girls did at that age was to hold girls' "day camps" at our house, for a week or two every summer. They sent invitations out to every family they know that had a girl between the ages of 4-7. It would last three hours in the afternoon, M-F, and they planned games and crafts during this time. They would accept 10 girls at a time. I can't remember what they charged... it was either $25 or $50 for the week. I was always home for the entire time, in case they needed an adult hand. (That rarely if ever happened, but I know parents were more comfortable knowing I was there.)

Our local farmer's market has a weekly lemonade stand run by a girl who uses it to support her riding. She and her parents have been doing it since she was pretty little (she is now in high school). They squeeze the lemon or lime in front of you, add ice and sugar water (or whatever) and charge a dollar or two per cup. It is really good lemonade, and they seem to make plenty. The booth costs $10/week, and they have their expenses, but it must pay for itself or they wouldn't keep coming back. They have their own stand, their big lemon press, etc., now, but I am sure it started out more modestly.

Is next year an option? My DS wanted to go to an expensive guitar camp last summer. We said no, he would need to earn his way and go this summer (earn his way for us meant faithfully practicing guitar). He did, we saved up the money and he is going in a few weeks.

Is this the only cheer program in your area? There's a program called Young Champions Cheer which my DD does-it's designed to be a much less expensive opportunity for kids to do competitive cheer. We pay $7/week in gym fees, about $100 for a uniform (my DD usually is able to wear hers for 2 years before she outgrows them, and there are always older girls moving to a new age group who can pass them down at a reduced rate), plus competition fees, which are $30-$40 competition (2 regional competitions per year, plus state and nationals if the team qualifies-at my DD's age group, state is the highest they go, but at your DD's age group, nationals would be a possibility). The girls are placed both by age and by skill-there are teams from age 4-18 based on age, plus skill based "elite" teams that are mixed age (in theory-although in DD's team, almost all the elites are middle/high school age-there's one girl on level 5 who is, I think, 10 or 11). YCOA teams usually do have some financial aid available as well, and there's a fundraising program that helps girls earn money towards their personal expenses (plus our Elite teams fundraise to get to Nationals each year-the other competitions are all close enough that you could get there and back for a tank of gas if you have good mileage on your car, but Nationals really requires either a much longer drive or a plane trip, plus several days of hotel, and that's hard for many of the girls' parents to manage).

It wouldn't be the level she'd get at a full All-star program, but it would give her a year to practice and work on her skills, while being part of a team.

Another option might be to skip competition this year, but do a cheer-tumbling class at a gymnastics gym, which, while the gym fees might be as much, would avoid the competition, travel, and uniform fees. Many cheer gyms have programs where you can come for as many tumbling classes at your level as you want for a monthly fee.

It's common here for families to set up a poboy sale to raise funds for their children's activities. It's a grilled sausage sandwich in a french roll. A plate with a drink and chips is $5 or $6. You see them outside Sam's Club and Lowe's, Home Depot, on street corners, in the park, at firehouses, anywhere they can find a spot with good foot or car traffic. They usually have a banner that says something like "Help send us to Cheer Camp" or "Help send me to Gymnastic competition". with a picture of the children.

Could you do something simple like that?

I think that was a wise decision. If it were me, I would probably try to steer her toward another interest - cheer, ime, is VERY expensive. Those upfront fees are only the beginning. Even if there is a low-cost program like someone mentioned, paying for hotels and eating out, etc, adds up very quickly.

I do think it's quite odd that the gym had tryouts before saying how much it would cost, and this would make me worry that unexpected expenses were going to greet me at every turn.

Most fundraisers are hard for a small group, much less an individual. Often, the success of them pends on the fact that friends and family are going to show up to your car wash or bake sale - so the more people in the group, the easier it is to pull off. Not that I wouldn't consider giving it a try, but I would never count on raising quickly. Overall, I think she would have better luck with straightforward babysitting, etc.

If they didn't know the fees then they are very disorganized and there will likely be other related issues throughout the year.

I think it's likely they knew at least a ballpark and not releasing and having the girls practice together is a way to set parents up for a lot of guilt. This is also a terrible way to run a program.

Besides the initial tuition cost there will be multiple other expenses.

It was the comp fees and/or the uniform that did us in. I was expecting the total for both to be about what ONE of them was. The comp/coach fees were $390 for the 9m season and the uniform was $350. Then, it was $88/month for tuition. Thankfully, there was going to only be one overnight competition, but still. We were replacing travel team softball with this, so I wasn't expecting cheap, but.....this was definitely more!