Menu

be gentle, my first media mail problem selling curriculum

Hen

so, I sold a Sonlight Core and went to mail it, planning on sending it first class, since I've heard so many horror stories lately about media mail. Well, I had the core separated into two boxes and was told they were too heavy for 1st , but they could send them parcel post for 40 something dollars. I asked about media mail, even though I wanted to avoid it and it was 22$ for both boxes. I purchased tracking and insurance on each box. I've never had a problem myself, using media mail.

so, my buyer received the boxes today and both had been opened and both boxes damaged. The smaller box with the IG and 4 books was the most damaged with a hole in it, the binder for the IG was pulled open and some of the pages pulled out/destroyed/missing.

I've read before that there seems to be differing opinions at post offices about books in binders, any suggestions on how to approach this with the P.O.? I insured each box for $100 so in theory, if I get the insurance money it is enough to buy a new IG or refund her. I really, really regret doing media mail now, in hindsight the $20 extra I would have spent was probably worth the hassle this is going to be. It was a beautiful set, the IG looked new, makes me really sad.

advice? I do have my original receipt showing how much I paid for the IG, and the seller is going to send me photos.

I'd probably just refund the money.

I refuse to ever use media mail. Apparently the PO employees have the right to rip open any media mail they want, so if they do and happen to not like homeschooling or are having a pissy day, say goodbye to your books. :glare: Not to mention that even when they don't destroy it themselves, the package ends up looking like it was transported via donkey.

I would satisfy the buyer, within reason, then file an insurance claim. I have been shipping media (and packaging very well) for over ten years with only a problem when I shipped the day before 9.11.01. I have never had to reimburse a seller, or had a claim filed against me on Paypal. Again, I package very well. I have received packages, as recently as today, packaged poorly, envelopes that have been reused to the point of death, and things wrapped with very little care.

I have no problems with the reuse of boxes and envelopes, but it is getting ridiculous. Almost to the point of me buying everything new.

Oh, and just because you use parcel post makes no difference. The contents may be different, but the time of shipping and handling is no better, IME.

okay, I'm leaning towards refunding the buyer, it sounds like just the IG was damaged. It's the edition before the current one, so I can replace some of the pages, I'd have to get her the new edition and then there is the problem of some of the books being different. This is such a bummer, I so wish I had shipped UPS, next time I will. I packed very well, sturdy boxes, lots of packing tape and address taped to some of the items inside, just in case box was inspected and not taped back together well...I was hoping the items would still make it.

does anyone think I will have trouble with the post office with the insurance since the sonlight IG is in a binder, not traditionally bound?

I went through this last year with something I bought and something I sold. I think the person receiving the package has to file the insurance claim. Both times, the post office refunded the money, but it is a hassle.

Suzanne

Interesting. I was told the shipper had to file the claim. They had no business relationship with me, as the recipient.

she's being really sweet about it, said she only mentioned it to me because I told her I had insurance on it. She says the binder is ruined, but the IG is usuable, the first few pages are ruined but I guess she can still read the week schedule and beyond. I'll try to file on my end and see what they say.

Only the sender can file in the case of a complete loss. But, in the case of damaged items either the sender or the recipient can file a claim. See the Domestic Mail Manual Section S010 Indemnity Claims 2.1. It needs to be filed ASAP. You don't have to wait 30 days loke you do in the case of a missing package (2.2). Some employees get both of these wrong. Make them get out their manual, if they try to mess around.

http://pe.usps.com/archive/html/dmmarchive0810/S010.htm

Basic instructions on how to file here:

https://www.usps.com/ship/file-insurance-claims.htm

Oh, yes, yes. You may need to work with the buyer and go to the post office manager to get your refund. On the other hand, they may be having a good day and simply help you get your refund.

Let us know how the process goes.

Only the sender can file in the case of a complete loss. But, in the case of damaged items either the sender or the recipient can file a claim. See the Domestic Mail Manual Section S010 Indemnity Claims 2.1. It needs to be filed ASAP. You don't have to wait 30 days loke you do in the case of a missing package (2.2). Some employees get both of these wrong. Make them get out their manual, if they try to mess around.

http://pe.usps.com/a...ve0810/S010.htm

Basic instructions on how to file here:

https://www.usps.com...ance-claims.htm